The (currently) Unsung Heroes

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

MerlinJones

Re: The (currently) Unsung Heroes

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm curious, John, as to why we see so little of these kits being built, as compared to more contemporary items? I can fully appreciate any reluctance with vacform ;-) , but what is it that deters you from the Pegasus, or Aeroclub, for example?

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

MerlinJones wrote:I'm curious, John, as to why we see so little of these kits being built, as compared to more contemporary items? I can fully appreciate any reluctance with vacform ;-) , but what is it that deters you from the Pegasus, or Aeroclub, for example?

Regards,
Bruce
Quite simply, having managed to achieve half my goal of having every 'tweener aircraft, I havn't gotten to building them due to other things distracting me. It's not the kits, it's me ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MDT »

I really like the idea of this as these cottage industry companies offer some otherwise unavailable subjects as well as great value. I’ve started to look at working with vacform / full resin kits as this is about on my limits of where my hobby is heading. My first attempt at the resin medium was the Heritage Canberra T.4 conversion I completed earlier this year and present me with plenty of new challenges. In the stash the only item relevant is the Aeroclub Lightning T.4/T.5 vacform conversion set, which I'm a little nervous of but with a bit of forum power I recon I could make an attempt at. This would lead me to the question, would conversions fit into this plan or are we talking full kits only? I'd still be interested but I thought I’d add a different slant on this that might encourage extra support/contribution.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'd seriously like to put to one side any thoughts of turning this into a Telford display, or else we'll end up getting participants participating for the sole purpose of getting their stuff onto a display table. Laudable though such a goal may be, it does not necessarily fit in with the ethos of celebrating our pioneering cottage modelling industries. Whilst I do like the idea of a suitable display, sometime, somewhere, it would be good for such a display to have a foundation here within the CBK SIG.

To answer MDT's valid question, I would think that, to celebrate the unsung heroes in a comprehensive fashion, we should also include anything relating to conversions. As has been already said, companies such as Aeroclub provided us with esoteric subjects, otherwise unavailable in kit form. Conversions also modified existing, standard kits, into subjects often more exotic and unconventional.

Regards,
Bruce

Return to “Classic British Chat”