Gowland and Gowland Plastic Models

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Gowland and Gowland Plastic Models

Post by jssel »

Gentleman walked into my LMS the other day with a largish box full of model car. His desire was to donate them to the model club I belong to. All the kits had been assembled and in various states disrepair.

So we each picked out a few with the mission of rescueing them. The two I picked was a Revell (1960) early 50's Porsche or the "Doc Hollywood" car and a Ford Model T circa 1915.

The Model T was made by Gowland and Gowland (1952) and was complete. A little internet search this morning shows that G and G was a UK Company and the kits eventually were released by Revell as the Highway Pioneers series. Less than 20 parts that now have been completely disassembled and clean up has begun.

I am now working on a mold one year younger than I am.

Edited mold date.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Gowland and Gowland Plastic Models

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

be gentle with the kit, as you get older you also will undergo some disassembly and clean-up of body parts :grin:

Neat find, I got a bit sidetracked as a search for 'Gowland models' turns up some interesting images :) but I have since found them on eBay (built, not kits), I see also a few ships but their boxes indicate made in the USA and the Wikipedia article on Revell seems to indicate the designs came from the UK to the US ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I was aware of them and that they made the Highway Pioneers series but hadn't clocked they were a British company. Good spot!

I've seen a couple of the kits turn up in the 2nd stalls and on ebay too. Shall do some more digging.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
jssel

Post by jssel »

You are correct John. The chassis/bottom part is very wavy from the "precise" molding processes of the day. At any rate, the logo will remain on the bottom be it Gowland or Revell. In between other stuff today, I have learnt that it is most likey a 1919 Ford Model T Center Door. My friend who restores old cars and owns the LMS tells me that it is very difficult to get any Ford Model T in plumb so will not have any worries.

New link: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7091;
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

jssel wrote: A little internet search this morning shows that G and G was a UK Company and the kits eventually were released by Revell as the Highway Pioneers series. Less than 20 parts that now have been completely disassembled and clean up has begun.

I pulled out Remembering Revell Model Kits by Thomas Graham (an excellent purchase). It gives potted history of G & G. Unfortunately G & G is not a really CBK manufacturer. British born John Gowland and son Kelvin emigrated to America after the second where they set up their toy company in Santa Barbara which did employ several expats. Chief engineer designer was Derek Brand (maybe American?). G&G from 1949 started to license Revell to manufacture their toys. After the success of a 1/16 scale Maxwell car pull toy in 1950 G&G came up with several 1/32 pull toys, the first being the Model T. They were nicely detailed and someone eventually convince Glaiser the head of Revell to release them as model kits which became the Highway Pioneers.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

sigh, fame is so fleeting .... there goes next year's display idea :sad:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
jssel

Post by jssel »

Thanks James. And now you've heard the rest of the story.

Return to “Classic British Chat”