Change in JU 88 1970s box art

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

plantypops
starter kit

Change in JU 88 1970s box art

Post by plantypops »

Hi
I'm not sure if this is he right place for this, but as it has "classic box art" in the title I'm going to give it a bash. My first kit - made for me by my father was the JU88. I still have the rather crumpled box lid, well most of it anyway, which isn't bad going from 1966.
Anyway, I recently had a surge of nostalgia, and whilst there are other kits of this aeroplane about, I'd always loved airfix one - or at least the memory of it as I don't think it lasted very long in my eight year old hands. I recently bought what I thought was the same model on-line and was surprised to see that the box-art had been "sanitised" as the bombs and lines of tracer fire had disappeared. I was wondering if anybody knew why and when this had happened -especially as this particular piece of box art is fairly iconic.
cheers
Mark
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Change in JU 88 1970s box art

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hi Mark,
Welcome aboard ! You might introduce yourself in the Welcome section when you get a chance.

Airfix started sanitizing box art about 1977, partly in response to the banning of the swastika in Germany, partly just political correctness. Then came Palitoy with their unappealing photos of a built model.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

As John says it happened surprisingly long ago. In some cases they just painted out the explosions and mayhem, a bit later you just got the aircraft against a tonal background. I think the 1/72 Stuka went through both changes. Thankfully things have gone back to how they should be albeit with a digital twist.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

The bombs were cut out on the Type 6 artwork, introduced in 1978 ;-)

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... f=42&t=521;
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

A number of the original Roy Cross classic box tops were "tidied up" during the big changes of the late 70s/early 80s.

Another box top that got sanitised was The Vickers Wellington. Original versions of the artwork featured chasing 109s and bullet splashes as the bomber tried to escape at low level. Later versions of the artwork removed the fighters and the bullet splashes. Later versions still removed the sea and rest of the background.

The great news is that the current digital Airfix box art is stunning and on a par (if not better) than the classic Roy Cross art.

Return to “Classic British Chat”