Deserving Classic Kits

What makes a British kit a Classic? What Classic kit is really British? What is the SIG all about and what goes on...from initial musings, to full on campaigning. It'll all be here, interspersed with talk of Texan Bars, Alias Smith & Jones and The Flashing Blade, Footy Cards and Bath Night, before School.

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Deserving Classic Kits

Post by Dazzled »

I know we have criteria in this group about the definition of a classic kit but I've been thinking about what would define it, in the eyes of modellers, as a real "classic".

What are the kits that you think of as real classics? Ones that were accurate or well-engineered before their time. Ones that were, with no pun intended, mould breaking.

And, conversely, what about the turkeys? The Austin Allegros of the model world. Kits that are best consigned to collect dust, unbuilt on collectors shelves.

I always thought that some of the Matchbox armour kits were stunning, well ahead of their rivals in the smaller scale even those from the far east and then they produced a Mig-21 kit which was, ahem, interesting, with a pilot sitting on a huge armchair to fill the cockpit void.

What are your classic stunners or dustbin candidates from the model kit world, British or otherwise?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Deserving Classic Kits

Post by mattbacon »

This is a start:

http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/11063/ ... iJdShZNIaU;

There were probably 150 that we're voted for more than once, and we "shaped" the selection to make sure different kit makers and genres were represented on the table.

I think that doing "102 Gems" to mark the 10th anniversary of the original (which gives us 10 more years of CBKs to go at...) would be cool!

Bestest,
M.
fearless frankie
Active Participant

Post by fearless frankie »

Something that always did it for me as a kid of 11 to 16 years old was the Airfix P-40 & as a 57 year old kid it still holds the same magic. To me this is my CBK.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

mattbacon wrote:This is a start:

http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/topic/11063/ ... iJdShZNIaU;

There were probably 150 that we're voted for more than once, and we "shaped" the selection to make sure different kit makers and genres were represented on the table.

I think that doing "102 Gems" to mark the 10th anniversary of the original (which gives us 10 more years of CBKs to go at...) would be cool!

Bestest,
M.

There are some great kits in there Matt. Not sure if Airfix's 48th Seafire 47 is old enough to qualify, although I do agree that it's a great kit (I'm looking at mine in the cabinet now :) ).

Great idea to do a 102 gems too 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

fearless frankie wrote:Something that always did it for me as a kid of 11 to 16 years old was the Airfix P-40 & as a 57 year old kid it still holds the same magic. To me this is my CBK.

Agreed. I must have built 3 or 4. I think it was the way it looked with the shark mouth 8-)

The last one I built was about 15 years ago and the fit was, as I recall, very good. Odd, I think, that Airfix chose to remould this one when there are so many deserving candidates in their back catalogue.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I would definitely put some more Matchbox 1/76 AFV kits on the list

Sherman Firefly, Humber Armoured Car and Comet would get my votes.

Also the Matchbox Tempest II/VI kit and the Airfix Grumman Duck.

I've just got my all-time favourite Airfix kit, the Short Sunderland :)
Building starting soon.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I must admit that before I joined the CBKSIG I looked for the criteria of what constituted a CBK - I couldn't find a definition so made up my own :ha:
To me, the CBKs were Airfix, Matchbox and Frog :mrgreen: I don't count Revell because they're foreign :ha:
I'm prepared to listen to arguments for other brands, but for me, these were the British manufacturers of the first Golden Age - the 60s :-D We are now in the second Golden Age
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Ratch wrote:To me, the CBKs were Airfix, Matchbox and Frog :mrgreen: I don't count Revell because they're foreign :ha:
We are now in the second Golden Age

Hear Hear, old chap.

Now, where's me pith helmet :lol:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “Classic British Chat”