Classic Box Art - The HP42

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

MerlinJones

Classic Box Art - The HP42

Post by MerlinJones »

It's a biplane and it's an airliner and it's in 1/144...what a combination!

I've cut out a new window, in the forward door, so that the model will match the boxart image. Something tells me that the model will be the easy bit..

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Re: Classic Box Art - The HP42

Post by MerlinJones »

Paul Bradley wrote:Yeah, those 1/144 pyramids ought to be a blast...... :lol: One word - Lego!! ;-)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

James Perrin wrote:Or sugar lumps!
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

mattbacon wrote:This might be useful:

http://cp.c-ij.com/en/3D-papercraft/arc ... ndex2.html;
http://www.delta7studios.com/images/Great%20Pyramid.pdf;

I suspect there maybe other free to download paper models of the pyramids with a bit of Googling!

http://www.moduni.de/moduni/shopartic.php?nr=301109;

bestest,
M.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

That's very helpful, Matt.

Having acquired blocks of polystyrene packing, I was contemplating different methods of creating the right look for the surface textures.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

shangos70 wrote:I read in a military modelling mag that using an old stiff toothbrush bristles against the polystyrene creates a realistic stone effect .

Shane
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Spent absolutely ages detailing the interior;

...And some time reducing the excessive ribbing;

ImageImage

I then spent some time on the tail, with plastic strips, rod and Aeroclub rigging thread;

I then relented and went back to the interior;

...And stuck the tail on;

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Paul Bradley wrote:Ahh, the luxury of pre-war air travel - standing room only in a black pit! :ha: Curtains, perhaps? :grin:
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Paul Bradley wrote: Curtains, perhaps? :grin:
Curtains indeed! They're in the boxart.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Brews wrote:You should aim to paint those tail rigging wires to make them look as thin as possible, Bruce. They're nearly invisible in even close-up photos.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/3423184;
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I've got some photo's in which they're quite evident and painting them will actually emphasise them. I may well leave them unpainted.

That said, the boxart has them looking like poles, which is why I had to do some semi-serious research.

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I finally griddled my lions and got to work on the struttery.
Both Flute and jRatz have been here before me, amongst others, so I'm hoping to learn from their builds, all of which resulted in good looking models.

Fortunately, although soft to a knife edge, there's a certain degree of flexibility that seems to prevent beakage with this particular example;

The engineering of this kit, compared to other Airfix biplanes, is rather good. The supplied jig is a helpful addition to the kit;

Unfortunately, the instructions are wrong, in that the drawing indicates the longer strut should be inboard when, as you can see below, it should go outboard;

Fortunately, traditional dry-fitting saved the day and made me wholly distrustful of any further instruction. After quiote a slow time building and dry-fitting, I got this far;

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

As Paul B so helpfully pointed out, the HP42 had curtains and these are clear to see on the boxart, so curtains it was;

My Beloved had decided to...er....'launder' my chequebook, tghus spoiling it for monetary exchange usage, but providing me with some nice, blue card;

Combined wing and fuselage, with canopy suitably masked;

Regards,
Bruce
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

James Perrin wrote:It may be a pain but capturing those little details in the box art is part of the fun ;-)
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Paul Bradley wrote:Caught money-laundering, eh? That's curtains for her then.

:ha:

Looks great, Bruce. Those wings.....so very Twenties!

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”