HMS Fearless

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

Viking
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

HMS Fearless

Post by Viking »

Just in case anyone was thinking i had forgotten about this, i thought i had better upload some progress pictures :)

1: what i am trying to recreate:

probably one of the few ship box artworks that lends itsself to reproduction as it has more than just sea and shell splashes and the viewpoint is from above the ship.

2: first part of the base

3: the hull will sit down into the hollow. when the well was submerged, these ships did not sit level to the sea but in a distinctive tail down position therefore i could not just waterline cut the hull. with the raised base for the sea level, i can use PVA glue to get the correct hull angle.

4: the ship. this is one of the molds that Airfix really should retire. it never was an easy kit to build but now the molds have deteriorated which just makes it harder.

5: more detail pix, i am using the White Ensign etch for the railings; i always feel that ship kkts without railing look too toy like, but once you start adding them it can become very complex very quickly.

still to do is to finish off the ship, railings and daivots, tidy up the painting, add whip aerials and a white ensign plus a few more decals, rough and paint the sea, add the hull and the landing craft, add the wessex helicopters then some figures and she will be done in time for Telford :)
Completed: not counting. Bought: trying not to let Mrs Viking count
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: HMS Fearless

Post by JamesPerrin »

I remember trying to work out how one went together without the instructions or even a picture of the finished ship - I think I sussed the landing craft :grin:

Your Essex looks great and the PE adds a touch of class. Interested to see how you make your sea ;-)
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Very nice, Alan.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Viking

Post by Viking »

now its getting closer, ship almost finished, base making good progress:

LCT's just placed on the base, ship needs glued in place and waves added, sea needs gloss varnish and some toning down of the colour graduations.

now, how do i paint the bootlaces on the marines ? :)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I like the painterly sea, it looks like it is sailing through art :grin: Lots of lovely details on the ship too.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

First ship model I ever built, one of my favourites: I am looking forward to seeing the finished build
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

One small point. The flag staff at the after end of flight deck is removed during flying operations as per the box art.

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

That's looking really good Alan, I'm glad the display won't be all aircraft.

A layer of clear silicone (bathroom) sealant over the paint might tone it down a bit if that's what you are trying to do - it is easy to shape into waves as well while it is still "tacky".

See you at Telford.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Viking

Post by Viking »

thanks guys; bit of a delay in finishing again as i got sent with work down to west africa at short notice again, back next week sometime :(

Dai; thanks for that; i'll remove the flagstaff. and, yes, i know the white ensign is the wrong way round, i'll fix that as well.

Al; i actually have oversprayed the base with a green wash then with klear tinted with blue so, when i get back, it should be toned down and shiny :)

i'll add some white water around the ship when i glue it in place.

rgds

Alan

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”