CBK "Classic Box Art" Display Report

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

CBK "Classic Box Art" Display Report

Post by JamesPerrin »

I’ll keep this post on the topic of the CBK SIG display as I’m sure there are others more capable who have already reported on the rest of the SMW show. I’m writing this Sunday night, though I’m without internet access till Monday morning, as I’m still running on adrenalin but bound to crash soon.

Matt and I drove down Friday afternoon to be met but a set of eager volunteers to set up the stand. Even with helpful hands it still took quite a while to work out how to arrange the 15 dioramas so that they were all display to their best advantage and make you of the picture frame and boxart we’d brought with us. Once happy though, we were able to seek food and liquid refreshment for the rest of the evening.

From the off at 8:30 on Saturday morning when we turned up the stand the display was getting a lot of positive comments from people. A guy who was described by his colleague as ‘Mr Diorama’ was very enthusiastic and promised to feature us in his Diaerama CD magazine. We got blogged about by a nice chap from Osprey Publishing on their ModellingNews.com site by the end of the day. We also received an invite to attend the Cosford show next year, after working out the logistics we are hoping that will be able take the display to the show.

On Saturday the show was extremely busy we learned that numbers on the door were up from last year by 6%. Even though we were in Hall 1 which is actually furthest away from the entrance we frankly had loads of people visiting the table sometimes it was approaching two deep. The concept and execution came in for universal praise and we even heard other groups had been discussing it over breakfast on Sunday. Even when I was doing my volunteering shift a guy came up to me on his way out to tell me that it was the display of the show. Something we were honestly told a number of times.

The box art idea really appealed and inspired people - I’m sure we’ll see other box art builds appearing at shows in the future. I don’t think there will be any stopping Beany, as a lot of weekend was spent discussing how to suspend a 1/24 Stuka by its tail :grin:

I had some time to check out the Airfix stand and I am very happy, nay, excited to say the new Gnat looks absolutely superb! I also made sure that the chap I talking to were aware of our display. Towards the end of Saturday he did indeed come over and thought it was marvellous he then went to get his mate, then a few minutes later we had half the Airfix staff looking at the table giving us great feedback. There is also some exciting news following on from this that I’ll mention when we know things are concrete.

If this all sounds a bit like chest beating then it’s because it is. I was really proud again of what we all achieved and to have this reinforced by the generous and kind comments made to the display team by our fellow modellers and public alike was truly heart warming and the real reward for our efforts. We rocked!

It was great to put faces to some forum members who came up and introduced themselves, Stupot, Molly-new, Malepo, and Lambretta. I’m sorry I personally missed a couple of you guys. Also good to catch up with some old friends too – hopefully we’ve convinced Shane to build something for Huddersfield ;-) Oh yeah and ‘Hi’ to you lurkers out that who came and said hello, hope you liked the poster :grin:

A big thank you to all those who contributed builds to the display this year was a something a bit different for a lot of you and you rose to the challenge magnificently. Thank you to all those who helped man the stand over a very busy weekend – Iain (ejsnotgrass) our ever dependable Frog seeking missile, TomW, Alan (Viking), Matt (MDT), Beany and of course Team Bacon (alarmingly Jack now towers over most of us). A special mention to Barry who had come over from L.A. with his fantastic Walrus and has gone home with some bling after his HP Jet Stream not only got a medal but also the Airfix Cup and Handley Page Shield. In addition he will return home with some British colloquiums to amuse his friends with. I also like to thank everyone who has given support and encouragement over the run up to the show it all really helps.
Personal thank you to Iain, Julian and Barry, it was a pleasure to spend the evenings in your company and a jolly good laugh.

Some great news about next year’s SMW is that IPMS plan to expand and use part of the newly built Hall 4 especially as this has a glass wall which makes it a perfect location for the competition area. Then in 2013 for the big 50th if the money stacks up then the biggest model show on earth will be even bigger and take up all of Halls 1,2,3 and 4! The only problem is I have no idea how anyone if going to be able to get around it all in only two day :shock:

It was a non-stop great weekend from start to finish mainly fuelled by adrenalin and enthusiasm; yes I do resemble an excited puppy* as I race around contradicting my statements that ‘I wasn’t really looking for any kits this year’ :roll: The only dampner on the weekend was on the way home - I bought a coffee, only to find the plastic top hadn’t been put on properly when I poured half the contents down by Box Art T-shirts :mad:

* King Charles Spaniel :mrgreen:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: CBK "Classic Box Art" Display Report

Post by JamesPerrin »

As Beany has already mentioned it I'll just say that Airfix have asked us if they can have this display next year on show at their Visitor Centre in Margate for 6months. :grin:
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oooh, brilliant news, James - well done, that man!

A big thank you to everyone who helped out over the weekend and especially to James and Matt for organizing everything.

Congrats to Barry on his wins - wow!

Now, what shall we do for next year's show....?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Well Done !! And a good report !
Thanks to all who contributed, set-up, and manned the display.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

The CBK was a fantastic display. Everyone seemed to be talking about it all over the show. I have to say at the SIG and Branch Leaders Meeting I was quite shocked and astounded that it didn't pick up a SIG prize. Anyway, if it wasn't a hit with the judges, it certainly was with the rest of the modelling fraternity and the general public, and that's what really counts. Well done to all!

But one CBKer did pick up prizes... Well done to Barry for his competition win. here's the lucky winner complete with Silverware :)

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
theplasticsurgeon
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by theplasticsurgeon »

JamesPerrin wrote:As Beany has already mentioned it I'll just say that Airfix have asked us if they can have this display next year on show at their Visitor Centre in Margate for 6months. :grin:
Wow - a real compliment to the ideas!
A=0.
B=0.
C=0.

2015:A=23,B=22,C=2.
2014:A=10,B=26,C=1.
2013:A=12,B=16,C=0.
2012:A=11,B=14,C=1.
2011:A=18,B=9,C=6.
2010:A=26,B=19,C=11.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I dunno...these ruddy 'murricans, popping over and pinching our silverware! :roll:

Congratulations Barry...well deserved and I hope you enjoyed our little show. :-D

Great Report, James...good to hear you made more CBK-related people-contacts and that Julian managed to recruit the lovely 'JB' for duty.

The only thing that's starting to niggle, having read reports of the show on other Forums, is their repeated and ignorant insistence on referring to you as the 'Airfix' lot/gang/group. This is understandable from the normal viewing public, as airfix = kits. However, it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of those who should know better :roll:

(I wonder if you could sneak the Matchbox displays into Margate? :mrgreen: )

Regards,
Bruce
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Brews wrote:
bluesteel wrote:<snip>Anyway, if it wasn't a hit with the judges, it certainly was with the rest of the modelling fraternity and the general public, and that's what really counts.<snip>
Sometimes, it's hard to be objective. You guys might not have seen what the judges saw at the other displays, and of course, you're fairly engrossed in the one you're manning, so perhaps there's some skewness going on :)

Which ones got the recognition, btw?
I'd be interested to know what won as well. It seems all the internet chat has been about our display - I don't recall seeing any mention of any other SIG/Club displays on any of the other major modelling fora. Still, I've no time for sour grapes on that regard - the public enjoyed what we did and that's why we do this and what's most important in my book! :grin:
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

MerlinJones wrote:I dunno...these ruddy 'murricans, popping over and pinching our silverware! :roll:

I dunno - maybe it's about time YOU guys started coming to enter OUR shows...! :ha:
Paul

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm also guessing (with confidence) that your engagement with the viewing public was full on and active, whilst those others who won gongs spent most of the show sat behind their display, scowling in a semi-belligerent fashion at the public, or discussing the right shade of green amongst themselves, oblivious to interest shown beyond their chat. :razz:

Regards,
Bruce
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

MerlinJones wrote:I'm also guessing (with confidence) that your engagement with the viewing public was full on and active, whilst those others who won gongs spent most of the show sat behind their display, scowling in a semi-belligerent fashion at the public, or discussing the right shade of green amongst themselves, oblivious to interest shown beyond their chat. :razz:
We did you proud Bruce, and it wasn't difficult to engage a public that were so forthcoming with praise for our efforts. I had some quite long conversations with people. Many, many guys seemed to want to photograph each and every kit in the display at least once, often going for extreme close-ups - which on that pigging Hovercraft left me feeling rather embarrassed to say the least :oops:

The Best SIG award went to Nick Allens' Beyond the Box SIG - an Olympic theme featuring the pigs from the Wallace and Gromit set in various Olympiccy dioramas. Apparently our SIG would have been a close second (the panel is made up from 15 IPMS judges I believe).

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Ratch »

As I said at the show, a well thought out and executed display :grin:
I was particularly impressed with Al's SRN4 (knowing what a pig of a kit it is) :wanw
Look forward to seeing you on the circuit next year ;-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The SIG awards went to:

1st. Out of the Box which was two thirds Wallace & Grommit with Shawn the sheep go to the Olympics. The other third was a 50's truck done in various forms. It was all very well executed the Olympics provide plenty room for imaginations to run free.

2nd. Harrier SIG - didn't see this myself as it was in Hall3 by the competition area which I never got near - time not crowds. Have seen a nice pics of whole lot of harrier flying in formation above the clouds.

3rd. Aerobatic SIG. I believe this was a WhatIf display with Hunters for Yellow Jacks etc. and a Nazi WWII victory flypast with swastika draped Hortons overflying the Brandinberg Gates. Somehow I missed that one!

I'm afraid I only remember that IPMS Avon won the branch award and I have now idea if they had a theme or what was on the table.

I literally had 20mins to look at the tables in Hall 1 on Sunday morning before the day started. I only saw displays in Hall 2 when I walked through.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Thanks for that, James. The Beyond the Box SIG display looks great in photos - a worthy winner. Haven't seen many photos of the other two, so can't really comment.
Paul

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Added link for Diaerama CD magazine.

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”