Box Art Criteria

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Box Art Criteria

Post by JamesPerrin »

Right we need to get sorted what we are actually going to build!

We've had a few suggestions but we need more to build some sort of consensus. I would like to come up with a core set of box art that we all really want to see built. I would like people to nominate approximately 5 pieces of box art that meet the criteria given below. They don't have to be subjects that you would necessarily build yourself, but suggestions of the best examples. eg. I'd vote for "G or George" though I'm not particularly interested in building a Lancaster. Please use the nominations thread

Then as a group will work to produce these most popular/iconic pieces. In addition members have a free rein to build whatever they wish (but trying to stay within the criteria).

Please also consider subjects other than aircraft and also not just by Roy Cross. Matchbox has some very good subject especially amongst the smaller 1/72 aircraft and of course the AFVs. I would admit that Frog box art lags behind in general, but as I've said elsewhere we should have at least one of their picture frame display stands.

We will also post a number of HOWTOs on building diorama elements, such as explosions, backdrops, modifying figures. These such be along the lines of do A,B and C and you end up with this. Many of you have these skills already I would be encourage you to post a simple tutorial to share these techniques with your fellow modellers. I think we've got prop blur down pat!

Boxart Criteria

1. A great piece of art - OK that's down to personal opinion
2. Contain more than one element, eg another plane, a plane over flying a ship or landscape.
3. Achievable (by someone) ie not 1000 bomber formation!
4. Not a rubbish kit, it doesn't have to be an absolute Gem but something that isn't awful.

... and finally, I will be shortly kicking things off with re-creating the Fairey Firefly boxart.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Boxart Criteria

Post by JamesPerrin »

A few questions have been thrown up in the nominations thread. Rather than go further OT in that thread I'll try and give more details here.

What is the display to consist of?

1. A handful of iconic boxart dioramas that come out of the nominations. These maybe larger more challenging subjects. These can be built by individuals or maybe a small sub-team.

2. Individual's dioramas. These examples have been put forward by individuals (eg, Bruce's MB Thunderbolt, Brew's Black Diamonds) though they could be completed with help from others either directly (kit, figures etc) or indirectly (techniques and ideas).

3. Some other examples of where manufacturers have focus on their boxart eg. Frog's Picture Frame Stands or even Revell (GB)'s "frame-able" boxart.

What should the dioramas consist of?

They should try to capture the boxart with attention being paid to how the subjects appear in the picture. Prop blur, falling bombs and explosions. It will be recreating the little touches that will bring things to life!

They are not intended to be fully realised 360 degree dioramas as you may see AFV modeller's creating. We want to recreate the boxart from that specific viewpoint. You are encouraged to use tricks such as false perspective ie using smaller scale kits to be the background subjects, flats (printed or painted cut out images) can be used to created buildings, hills or even other vehicles. To summarise we are going to cheat :mrgreen:

Also think about the view point of the art work, for instance the horizon may not be horizontal.

What size should dioramas be?

The straight forward answer is, as big as they need to be! ;-)

For a single small 1/72 aircraft approximately 20cm (8") square, but it is largely dictated by the subject matter and the scene being recreated. I suggest that everyone roughs out idea's with paper and card. The largest diorama I would guess could be a 50cm across? It also doesn't have to be square it could be rectangular, round or trapezoid!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:That's clear enough, James. I would add that, for once, we shouldn't aim to be all-inclusive. By that, I mean that the likes of motor vehicles, figures and wildlife are probably not going to be represented.
For those trying to avoid aircraft, I'd suggest a look at Matchbox AFV's and Airfix, or FROG warships.

The reality is that most modellers build aircraft. The reason why is a bone of contention, especially amongst the treadheads and plastic sailors. It is possible, however, that for those kids with no initial interest in anything whatsoever, it was the work of Huxley and Cross, for example, that turned 'em onto aircraft. Generally, ships fight each other at distances not easily recreating in one art frame, so broadsides are few and far between.

Kit sales noticeably dropped when boxart was 'sanitised', with all indications of combat were removed. Like it or not, we are blood thristy little feckers at best.

Regards,
Bruce
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MerlinJones wrote:That's clear enough, James. I would add that, for once, we shouldn't aim to be all-inclusive. By that, I mean that the likes of motor vehicles, figures and wildlife are probably not going to be represented.
For those trying to avoid aircraft, I'd suggest a look at Matchbox AFV's and Airfix, or FROG warships.
Yes, indeed and therefore aircraft subjects that also include ships or vehicles in the scene should be considered.

When I looked at the some 54mm figure box art there were often twenty of the blighters all in different poses!

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”