Box Art Nominations

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Box Art Nominations

Post by JamesPerrin »

Brews wrote:
Beany wrote: Lancaster with burning engine coming in to land
How do you represent flames?
mattbacon wrote:
Brews wrote:How do you represent flames?
..with difficulty! That is at the top of my diorama experiments agenda. Explosions I have some ideas for, from various online sources... flames less so...

A thread will emerge...

bestest,
M.
Beany wrote:
Brews wrote:
Beany wrote: Lancaster with burning engine coming in to land
How do you represent flames?
Some thin, shaped pieces of orange/yellow/red coloured silk with a small hidden fan in the nacelle blowing them backwards?! :ha:

Cheers
Al.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

viking wrote:
James Perrin wrote:
viking wrote:i would be interested in doing one or both of the following airfix boxes :

TBD-1 Devastator; i reckon a 1200th scale carrier would look just about right on the background sea

HMS Fearless with the landing craft and helicopters deployed
Great choices! Both will make great dioramas.

However in this specific thread what I'd really like is nominations for your "I'd like to see someone have a go at that" examples of boxart. ;-)

mmmmmh

this could descend into impractical wishes; i would like someone to have a go at HMS Shannon and i would really love to see the E Boat and the Scots Greys box art replicated not to mention Ann Boylen, then of course, the finest box art anywhere, in any scale, company or timeframe is the Roy Cross airfix Ju52 with the paratroopers attacking the airfield; but i know my limitations...

i would stick to the devastator and fearless; i could make a decent go of them (but if anyone wants to do the eboat or the Ju52 i will applaud, hold their coat and buy them a dram at telford..)
Brews wrote:
viking wrote: the Roy Cross airfix Ju52 with the paratroopers attacking the airfield; but i know my limitations...
I think that this is easier than you think, especially if you stick to the main Ju 52 and paratrooper, rather than trying to replicate the flames of the more distant one (which, if you chose to build it, could be the Eduard 1:144 example). Personally, I'd choose to use a background of photoshopped boxart, removing the main Ju 52 only. Alternatively, the 2nd Ju 52 could be photoshopped as a "flat" and "popped out" of the picture. The paratrooper can be attached to the Ju 52 by wire (his parachute release cord), and you might find a suitable figure amongst Airfix Germans, if not paratroopers. I'm thinking one that might be ordinarily prone, with arms outstretched. I'll have a quick look and see what I can find.

edit: 3rd row, 2nd from left
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

MDT wrote:I've been struggle to think of a nomination I would like to contribute but the past week or so I've been drawn to the Apollo Sea King (as already mentioned previously...)

I have also a Revell 1:96 Command Module"Columbia" that with the scale effect might work quite well in the background. Any thoughts about if its suitable to combine both kits for essentially Airfix artwork? Is this kit (the SH-3D) a classic enough for inclusion?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

It's a great choice and there is no problem using any other kits (new/old/diecast/toy) for the additional vehicles objects in the scene.
MDT wrote:
James Perrin wrote:It's a great choice and there is no problem using any other kits (new/old/diecast/toy) for the additional vehicles objects in the scene.
Cheers for the feedback guys - I feel I can definatley do something with this. I'm with Bruce about the smoke in the background. I'm sure it's suposed to be a flare.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

mattbacon wrote:Image

This would tick the non-aircraft boxes, and the full painting is in the Roy Cross book. 1/32 so the figures should be findable or modifiable...

bestest,
M.
mattbacon wrote:Shamelessly stealing one of Kira666s pictures:

There's a whole lot on here! I fancy the Mirage dogfight double at the bottom right...

Which one could buy here:
http://www.magictoybox-online.co.uk/aca ... _Kits.html;

bestest,
M.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Here are some Matchbox boxes for your consideration. Thanks to Reinhold for permission to repost his images.

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”