Matchbox 1/76 M16 MGMC

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Matchbox 1/76 M16 MGMC

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

In one trial, not shown, I had pulled the right front corner both forward and to the right but it left too much open ground, so I went with just forward, but a higher grade. I have some other thoughts -- such as doing the base part in oils to provide some feature to the terrain -- but I want to see what the artist can do or if I'm to be handed off on someone else .... If you get an M-16 dangling from a pearl necklace, you'll know I had problems communicating ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Mine's working -- artist has the base in hand. He's near 80, a youth at Pearl Harbor; vet of Korea and Vietnam; a real character. Spent an hour or so talking about the halftracks he had in Germany. You never get out with less than 5 "war stories"; it doesn't help that we trade them.

I've got to get back to work on the vehicle & soldiers ... shouldn't take long, if I just get a chnace to sit down. Still plan on mailing by 1 October or sooner.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

<steady drum roll> Excitement builds :grin:
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, we may have a problem ....

Despite my explanations and my mock-up, my buddy got fixated on my request to fill in behind the half-track with something that might look like the bridge at Remagen ....

So it's not exactly a replica of the box-art ....

I'm still working on the muzzle flashes and the crew members, although in that respect the box art is pure fantasy -- it shows someone in the right rear handling ammo, who wouldn't fit back there, and several guys sitting in seats who wouldn't be there anyway, this isn't a troop carrier.

I can make a bigger explosion -- it may not show, but it is somewhat 3-dimensional.
The smaller airplane is pasted directly on, the larger one has a spacer to lift it off slightly ...

Thoughts ?
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Hmmm artist's and their integrity eh, at least he didn't paint cows :mrgreen:

Yes it definitely needs bigger explosions. I would consider just having a quick bash at doing an impressionist backdrop yourself don't get hung up about getting its exactly right just get some paint on the paper. You don't have to show us the results if you're not satisfied. If you post the dimensions of your diorama I'm willing to have bash too or maybe someone else?
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I'm with Brews - the original boxart is fairly blurry and predominantly green with little of the atmosphere of, say, the Walrus boxart - if you lowered your camera angle to just above the level of the top of the half-track I think that you would be pretty close to the boxart...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yes, a lowered camera angle would make it look more like the boxart -- but viewers at our table will be standing above it, unless we could mount it on a 5-1/2' high platform. It's a problem with whatever I do with this particular scene which is why I tried tilting the front edge up, but it still isn't enough. There has to be something behind the vehicle and the problem is then the perspective & depth is way off ... For example, I can do the bigger explosion but the problem is then the same as the original box art -- the half-track ought to be flipped over from the blast it is so close ...

I'm just beside myself ... I tried Photoshop'ing it and proved that's not a skill set I have ... Maybe if I leave more of the text in, it'll go better ...

I'll see what I can do ...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

You could add an image to your display of the diorama snapped from the right angle to show desired perspective and relationship between the diorama and the boxart...? Either way, i'd be really keen to see a shot of your diorama from the same angle as the boxart - I think it will look great...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I wouldn't worry about the low view point issue John. A number of dioramas have this including both of mine. The design of your base excellently suggests this but I'm also planning on having these dioramas on a raised tier along the rear of the table. Therefore people will be closer to the correct angle - there will also be lots of kids who will be the right height :grin:
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

With a larger explosion, ignoring the rough cut, is this closer to acceptable ?
Explosion could be larger, I guess.
It would probably be too hard for me to lower the background (which would help).

mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I'm sure that'll be fine, John! You could also consider introducing some "fog of war" by mounting a sheet of translucent tracing paper or drafting film (3M also do some stuff for fixing to windows) in front of the background image - perhaps with your target aircraft stuck directly to it. By varying the distance between the film and the background picture, you would be able change how "impressionistic" the background becomes...

Just a thought...

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Matt ...

Here's a bigger explosion, still rough cut ... I could pull the a/c off the background a bit to "force" the background further into the background (say what?) ...

And here's same bigger explosion, but I also (photo-wise) clipped about a half inch out of the river to pull the bridge down some ... cannot go much more ... and how I actually would do this is another question, best left for later ....

SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

New explosion looks way better!

You could also help imply movement by sanding most of the detail off the wheels and tracks for more of a blur of motion; and also show mud 'flicking of the wheels and tracks by using a spray of fine wire with brown putty on it to show a spray of mud coming off...
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

The new explosion improves things a lot. Good work John.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

SJPONeill wrote:New explosion looks way better!

You could also help imply movement by sanding most of the detail off the wheels and tracks for more of a blur of motion; and also show mud 'flicking of the wheels and tracks by using a spray of fine wire with brown putty on it to show a spray of mud coming off...
Yes, but a moving while firing M16 is as much a fantasy as all the folks riding serenely in the back .... and that the M16 survives the bomb blast ...

Anyway, I'll keep playing ...

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”