Box art question ...

Discussion and the builds for the SMW 2011 CBK display.

Moderator: JamesPerrin

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Box art question ...

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I need some guidance ... Although I'm asking about my contribution, I figure this might be useful for others ....

Do you want actual kit box for the display ?

Do you want the backdrop to be the same size as the kit box or an appropriate size for the kit ? My assembled M16 model is about 1/2 the size of the one shown on the box and I'm afraid that if I send a 1:1 backdrop, the model will be swallowed up.

For my backdrop, I will of course remove the M-16. I should also remove all the lettering, so it is just a backdrop picture ? And not try to look like a kit box ?

I ask this because I have failed miserably at getting the vehicle and lettering out of a digital copy and know that I'll never get a bridge and all that put back in, so I'm about to talk to some local artists about helping out and I need to be able to specify size, etc.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Box art question ...

Post by JamesPerrin »

Yes I would like the box art to go alongside on the display - that's my gut feeling but may change if it "doesn't work".

The diorama and boxart size should be appropriate for the kit, I would think for the M16 about 4x4 inches max (it doesn't have to be square). I would try roughing things out with card and paper to get and idea of what works.

It's the boxart that we wish to replicate not the box design (though I have considered adding the red strip to the corner of mine).

Some projects will lend themselves to being more accurately recreated than other. Obviously you can't make the M16 look like it's in motion as you've said before and not expecting some sort of amazing optical illusion.

As for the backdrop are there any budding artists out there who think they can give John a hand?
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

JamesPerrin wrote:
As for the backdrop are there any budding artists out there who think they can give John a hand?
I'll cover that here -- it's a long story, but the local art community "owes me" .... I'm not sure what the reaction about a war-time scene rather than their usual beachy nature stuff will be ....
Last edited by JohnRatzenberger on May 27th, 2011, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unfair generalization on my part; my apologies.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Hows about the small detail that they can enjoy their beachy nature stuff because of..? :-D

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yes, I agree, but in retrospect it was an unfair generalization and I have striken it through ....
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

JamesPerrin wrote:Obviously you can't make the M16 look like it's in motion as you've said before and not expecting some sort of amazing optical illusion.
You could probably have a good crack at it...I don't have the MB M16 handy but from memory, you could fill the tracks (or replace them) so that the treads are lost in a blur of motion and sand out any detail on the front wheels, lost again in a blur of motion...I saw an article, maybe in FSM, a few years ago where someone had used very fine brush hairs to support a few blobs of 'mud' coming up from the wheels/tracks of a vehicle - more than anything else they did, that really added to the illusion of motion...possibly a similar effect could be created with little bits of fine brass wire to replicate the empty shell cases coming off the 50cals...?
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Saxon »

I've never thought of using the box art as a realistic backdrop only as a photo prop. So it doesn't bother me too much. On a slight tangent I would prefer they go back to bagged kits as most boxes now are so much bigger than what is inside them and the box size would add to the price.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

SJPONeill wrote: ......possibly a similar effect could be created with little bits of fine brass wire to replicate the empty shell cases coming off the 50cals...?
Got that one covered -- actually they just fall down & litter the bottom of the halftrack, so I have it planned to dice up some brass wire ....

Return to “SMW 2011 - Classic Box Art”