Revell (GB) : British Sports Cars

Check in here for details of British Kit Manufacturers, their potted histories and products....and there's more to them than the Big Three!

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Revell (GB) : British Sports Cars

Post by JamesPerrin »

In 1968 Revell (GB) produced four exquisite British Sports cars that were released at part of Revell 1200 series. The with single piece body shells these kits featured both left and right hand drive dash boards, full engine and under tray detail. Chromed parts for hubs, lights window frames and other details. A piece of clear acetate was supplied with a template in the instructions for the windscreen. The box art featured two vehicles racing against each other. The kits stayed in the Revell catalogue till 1970.

H-1254 Triumph TR-4
H-1255 Sunbeam Alpine Roadster
H-1256 Austin Healey 3000
H-1257 MG-B

They were re-released in 1979 under Revell's Advent label that was aimed at putting cheap kits in department stores.

(source Remembering Revell 3rd Ed Thomas Graham)

I've just got hold of the MGB and so completing my little collection of these great kits. The start of the next phase had already began with I built the Austin Healey for the 101 Gems display and I hope to complete another one later this year.

All my examples have been sourced from the states and carry US production markings. I don't know if they were ever released directly by Revell (GB) themselves.

In 1/32 scale I think these kits have only been surpassed by Matchbox's fantastic small scale cars. However they are all true CBK Gems and it would be great to have them see light of day once more.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Revell (GB) : British Sports Cars

Post by JamesPerrin »

flakmonkey wrote:I've spotted an Austin Healey 3000 in a 50 years of Revell boxing very recently in the toy department of the local Co-Op of all places. New old(ish) stock or a recent re-issue?
That's the 1/24 scale kit originally from Revell in the US of a A.H. 100 series, IIRC this pre-dates the above kit. I bought this recently myself.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “Manufacturers: Frog, Airfix, Matchbox and many, many more!”