Matchbox Westland Lynx PK 108

Check in here for details of British Kit Manufacturers, their potted histories and products....and there's more to them than the Big Three!

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

Ural
Active Participant

Matchbox Westland Lynx PK 108

Post by Ural »

My dear friends,

Recently I "discover" that I got this kit, that a friend of mine buy loooong time ago (more than 30 years) start it, but never finish, and some day give it to me.

Today, I remember that I got it! and start searching, and after some hard work, I find it in the same way he give´s to me!

I´m not an Lynx "expert" and I note something strange, looking for some info, I read that this is a prototype version of the Lynx, and the kit have no instructions!

Could any one tell me if it is the prototype, if it was used in operational service, if it is too hard to convert it in an "standard" Lynx from this one(I like to make one of the first Army or Navy lynx) and if some one have the instructions that can scan and send to me?

Everithing you can tell me about this kit is very helpfull, since I can´t find much info on the net!

Best regards

Henry Ghisolfo
DamienB
Series 3 and Beyond

Re: Matchbox Westland Lynx PK 108

Post by DamienB »

It is a kit of the prototypes, yes. The main differences are that the shape of the window by the pilot's feet is wrong (production version is bigger/squarer), the doors have 3 small windows (instead of one large window as on production versions), and the shape of the tailboom (particularly at the rear) is different too.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

The original Lynx was called the WG13 try doing a google for it and you will find photos of it in its original yellow colours with skids and the three windows in the door.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
ZacYates
starter kit

Post by ZacYates »

Apologies for the zombie bump, but are this and the Frog kit the same moulds?
KIWI
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by KIWI »

ZacYates wrote:Apologies for the zombie bump, but are this and the Frog kit the same moulds?
No .
SARowl
Getting well comfy!

Post by SARowl »

Ural

I recently built this kit as the Lynx prototype

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=4988;

PM me for a copy of the instructions.

John
If all else fails, read the instructions...

Building: My first Vacform - Rareplanes Shorts Tucano
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

A good place to look for anything to do with Matchbox is http://www.matchboxkits.org; by our friend Reinhold.

Over there I found the Lynx instructions and photos of built models (both painted and naked in three colour plastic by Jen Wright) which can be found here:
http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_inf ... cts_id=376;

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

As far as I know, there was never any crossover between Matchbox moulded kits and Frog moulded kits. Frog themselves went out of business not long after Matchbox appeared on the scene.
smackers
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by smackers »

There was a kind of crossover because when Revell had a 10 year lease on Matchbox kits in the late 80's to late 90's they did put a few Frog, PM and their own kits into Matchbox boxes.
Off the top of my head there was the Arado Ar 234 Blitz with V-1, Dornier Do 17Z, Dornier Do 335 A-6 & Macchi MC.202 from the Frog stable of kits. There may have been others.
Mike
Chris
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Chris »

Man, I remember building that as an Army version when it first came out, years and years ago!
Honcho of ASMMF

Return to “Manufacturers: Frog, Airfix, Matchbox and many, many more!”