Merlin Models Discussion

Check in here for details of British Kit Manufacturers, their potted histories and products....and there's more to them than the Big Three!

Moderators: JamesPerrin, mattbacon

ollieholmes
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Merlin Models Discussion

Post by ollieholmes »

Does anyone have a complete list for this maker? Am i right in thinking he ran several model kit manufacturers over the years?
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Merlin Models

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have another list, very similar to Brews, but with differences. I cannot reconcile them for a day or so, but will do so.

I do know 34 was double-used so add 34 North American O-47.

Others lines would be Valhalla and Tombo.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

I think I was largely responsible for that list and it has been a year or so since then . I can confirm number 34 was used twice . I will try to supply the names and numbers of other kits I have found since the first list was drawn up . He was also reponsible for VeeDay kits before Merlin .
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

Not proof positive but by a process of elimination numbers 13 and 14 could be Bristol MC1 and or Junker D1 , Q3 would seem to be a Roland C2 . Other subjects which might also have been kitted in 1/72 injection moulded plastic include Albatros C111 , Vought Vindicator and the Miles Master 1 .
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

Valhalla
1 Hansa-Brandenburg W12
2 Hawker Tomtit
3 DH 108
4 Nakajima A1N2
5 Yokosuka B4Y Jean
6 Mitsubishi 1MF1
7 Nakajima Ki8
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

VeeDay
1 DH 89
2 Yak 15
3 Fokker DVIII
4 Heinkel He112
5 Be2c
6 Cierva C 30A RAF
6 Cierva C 30A civil
8/9 Pfalz D111 / Albatros D XI
10 Seversky P35
11 Hansa Brandenburg W 29
11 Hansa Brandenburg W 29 "Thorpe Park"
12/13 Gloster Gamecock / Fairey Flycatcher
14 Bucker Bu 181
15/16 Sopwith Dolphin / Pfalz DXII
17 Curtiss JN 4D
The Supermarine Spitfire 24 and the Hispano Ha 1112 Buchon were announced and advertised but I do not believe they got passed the prototype stage . Some of the double kits subjects were issued as seperate items
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

Tombo I thought had only had one kit , the Hawker High Speed Fury , however , I have recently found another , the Fairey Fantome .
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

Pamela Veal had two brands "By-Planes" and "Slipstream"
By-Planes
Bucker Bu 133 Jungmeister
Sopwith Snipe
Polikarpov I 16

Slipstream
Yak 3
Gloster Meteor F8

Gloster Gauntlet and Focke Wulf Ta 152H were announced , not sure if they ever got to production .
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Dam I was looking at the old posts only last night thinking I must repost these on the new site. Thanks Brews and KIWI for reposting.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

It would be good if anyone who has any info , added to what has been posted as before long it will be lost . I believe the guy behind Miekraft may have made the masters for some of Merlins kits .
airjim
Sprue Teaser

Post by airjim »

Wow, I had no idea there was a kit of the Hawker Tomtit. Good to know, not that it will be possible to source.

I find these posts very informative. I had heard of VeeDay and Merlin, but never Valhalla.

Jim
Read my inane modeling writings at:
http://ascalecanadian.com
KIWI

Post by KIWI »

Not looking for credit , but if there are errors then I will accept responsibility , my aim being to see an accurate catalogue created before the information disappears from memory . I do not think that a better list exists even with the manufacturers family , so any additions or corrections are welcome .
I have a Valhalla Hawker Tomtit and to be honest it is nothing to write home about , it is clunky at best , it is the only Valhalla kit I have ever seen in the flesh , though there is a review of the Ki8 I think on the Net somewhere .
For the record this guy died some years ago as I think also the guy behind Meikraft has also passed away .
crocheron
starter kit

Post by crocheron »

Some numbers were not used,13,14,60.Pak 20 by John Burns is very complete as he destributed these kits in US and was friends with Vagn Espensen(spelling).EE Lightning prototype also ,fuselage was vacuform,rest of kit injection.
The kits at end of list had no numbers and,the first 2 issued models had no numbers on the box.
I have a Ki-8 # 102,not listed ,some of the A prefix models were bagged only(he ran out of boxes for awhile as I recall)
Very erratic with the packaging,quality even by standards of alimited low run producer was poor.
Douglas AD2 one of the poorist models I have ever seen,wanted a Skyshark,don't know what I got,its that bad.
KIWI

Re: Merlin Models Discussion

Post by KIWI »

Everything on my list except the Miles Master 1 , has been identified as a Merlin kit either by a box top or headercard or from their inclusion in John Burns PAK 20 etc . So as Merlin only made four 1/48 kits and three have been clearly numbered , Q3 has to be the Roland even though the header card does not show a number . The Master , I have seen a picture of one built which is captioned Merlin . It has the same crude appearance of Merlin kits and does not look like the Pegasus kit .
KIWI

Re: Merlin Models Discussion

Post by KIWI »

Brews wrote:Note to all following this thread:

I changed the topic to "Discussion", with the intent to open a Sticky Post titled "Merlin Models" containing the compiled list.

Hope everyone is ok with that.
That is a good idea and maybe as the other brands have been included in the main list then my posts of the lists for Valhalla etc could be deleted as no longer needed .
Tombo needs to be added to the main list .
I think in cronalogical order it goes VeeDay , Merlin , Valhalla , Tombo

Return to “Manufacturers: Frog, Airfix, Matchbox and many, many more!”