Airfix 1/72 Aichi D3A1 'Val'

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/72 Aichi D3A1 'Val'

Post by Zee28 »

Hi all,

This is an old kit that I remember from my youth, it dates from around 1965. But recently (well, in the last few years) it got a Red Box Re-release with a stunning new decal sheet. I grabbed one soon as it became available. To be honest, the impressive new decal sheet alone would cost more than the whole kit if it was an After Market decal sheet.

This is the new boxing and artwork.

For those unfamiliar with this old classic, this is what you get. The engine is moulded in one with the cowling. This was to be expected given the era of the kit, the only disappointment for me is that Airfix had moulded it with seven cylinders. I'm no aircraft historian but I though the 'Val' had a nine cylinder engine? Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can put me straight on this.

Anyway, due to simplicity, assembly went quickly. The Airfix instructions had colour call-outs for everything and they said the interior was pale blue with a black floor. I didn't bother to check if this was right, I just did it as per their instructions. They also said the seats were aluminium and the pilot outfits were dark brown. Again, I just did what Airfix said. Laziness!

Now, the underside colour of Japanese IJN aircraft is very much up for debate. I even asked on this esteemed forum before I did the Zero, and nobody is totally sure. But it appears to be a pale grey colour with a hint of green. The Airfix instructions suggested Humbrol 90 (beige green) with a disclaimer in the small print saying 'Approximate'. To my eyes it looked a bit too green, I wanted more of a hint of green in the grey, so I settled on my 'Go to' colour for IJN underside, Humbrol 147 which seemed a bit closer. It came out like this.

Anyhoo, the rest of the painting was done as per Airfix's instructions and then the wonderful new decal sheet came into play. It was truly impressive, the whole of all those complex patterns around the tail and rear fuselage were all decals, and they went on fine. Easy! My good lady took a look and called it "Cheating", as it was so easy to create without paint! But it suited me (did I mention I was lazy?).

And here it is. It's still awaiting some weathering and chipping, it looks far too clean at the moment. It at least needs some dirt in the control surface hinges on the tail surfaces to disguise the decal effect, but I'll get round to that soon. Final finish (so far) was Humbrol Satincote after decaling.

Verdict? A lovely, if basic, old CBK given a new lease of life with a super new decal sheet. What's not to love?

Thanks for looking,

Zee28
59North

Re: Airfix 1/72 Aichi D3A1 'Val'

Post by 59North »

Very nice, indeed!
I've had this kit stashed about a year. My thoughts for purchase was that it would just be a fun kit. Then I saw the engine molded to the cowling, and my scratch-build finger started twitching. It will take some hard discipline to build outta box, like yours. Although, your build is certainly a true beauty.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Thanks for the kind words 59North, but you are right, it would really benefit from a replacement engine, it would improve it immensely. But I am too unskilled and impatient, so it was outta box for me.

Zee28
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Very smart.
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That's a beauty. Next one I see in the shops is coming home with me :grin:

Nigel
vacant

Post by vacant »

Lovely job - weathering is optional. They can't have ben weathered as they rolled out of the factory.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Nice result. On my "to build" list too.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent work See, very colourful indeed! :grin:

(Nips off to a well known auction site to look for one :shock: :-D )
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

That is a very striking colour scheme - much more interesting than the original (which was how mine appeared in the mid-1960's!). For such an old kit that is a remarkable piece of modelling - never mind the engine because who would notice anyway, apart from the odd anorak with a magnifying glass? You are becoming like Vacant - turning old mouldings and other assorted lumps of plastic into very attractive models.
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

Lone Modeller wrote: <snip>
You are becoming like Vacant - turning old mouldings and other assorted lumps of plastic into very attractive models.
Completely concur and can think of few higher compliments!

Simply outstanding and a wonderful showcase of your incredible talent as well as a great demonstration of what can be done with these classic kits.

The Great Auk
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I'll tell you something, Zee, you don't half make a good job of building classic kits! Following on from the interesting discussion about these red box reissues over on Small Talk, I agree that the decals alone are worth the price of the kit and certainly IMHO the much improved quality thereof over the original decals that came with these kits makes for a much more enjoyable classic build experience - no need to go hunting for aftermarket markings and adding to the expense (the latter being particularly important to a tightwad like me :ha: ).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Beautifully done! It looks every bit as good as a Skymax die cast release of the Val. 8-)
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Zee28 wrote:The engine is moulded in one with the cowling. This was to be expected given the era of the kit, the only disappointment for me is that Airfix had moulded it with seven cylinders. I'm no aircraft historian but I though the 'Val' had a nine cylinder engine? Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can put me straight on this.
Well, nobody else seems to have answered your question, so I did a quick search and found that the Val was powered by a Mitsubishi Kinsei engine, which had 14 cylinders -- 2 rows of seven -- and was based on the single-row, 9-cylinder Pratt and Whitney R-1689 Hornet engine. So there you go. Having said that, most of the data I found was for the D3A2, so it's possible that the D3A1 version had a different power plant, but my quick-and-dirty look didn't uncover any mention of that.

So I'd have to say that your excellent model is accurate in that respect AFAICT. Very well done.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Wonderful so far 8-) 8-) waiting for the weathered finished aircraft ;-) ;-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Nice work Zee!

Stu :)
Old fashioned paint brush user.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”