SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

For SMW 2016, the CC SIG will be staging a diorama representing the infamous 'Black Friday' raid on the Norwegian coast on February 9th, 1945.

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: SMW2016 - 'Black Friday'

Post by ShaunW »

PaulBradley wrote:
TomW wrote:Another Fw-190 would be most welcome Shaun :-D I'm not sure whose /which markings you will want to do but Paul will be able to help on that score.

I think I'm close to putting out the details - I'm not making a lot of headway with 65 Sqn details, but there's probably enough to be going on with. I'll put it up this week.
No problem, FW 190 A8 it is then, it's been a long time since I built a Butcher Bird. I'll wait for Paul's details re the markings required then.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:
TomW wrote:Another Fw-190 would be most welcome Shaun :-D I'm not sure whose /which markings you will want to do but Paul will be able to help on that score.

I think I'm close to putting out the details - I'm not making a lot of headway with 65 Sqn details, but there's probably enough to be going on with. I'll put it up this week.
No problem, FW 190 A8 it is then, it's been a long time since I built a Butcher Bird. I'll wait for Paul's details re the markings required then.
Shaun - I have an Airfix 1/72 NT kit that I can donate to you if you want it as I'm not likely to build it.

Send me a PM

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

As promised, a list of aircraft that took part. I couldn't find complete set of 144 and 65 Sqn serial/code tie-ins, nor could I find all the Fw190 codes, but I think we have enough to be going on with:

If anyone can add anything, please let me know and I'll amend.

The decal sheet I ordered is due for release next month; there are, apparently, 6 Black Friday options on there, so I'll highlight those when I get the complete info. Tom, please let me know what BF options your sheet has.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Good News !!!!

I just snagged the White Ensign Flak Lighter from eBay; actually I stole it at $30 incl shipping ! Will be delivered next week.
When I get home Monday, I should have the paper ship kit version also, so we should be set.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sir T wrote:
ShaunW wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:

Shaun - I have an Airfix 1/72 NT kit that I can donate to you if you want it as I'm not likely to build it.

Send me a PM

Cheers

Stuart
PM sent Stuart

IPMS#12300
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

FYI, Airfix are selling NT Fw190's for £2.99 in their Black Friday sale. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Tom,

I am happy to contribute a 1/72nd and a 1/144 Beaufighter to the cause if you wish.

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Stuart (Sir T) has very kindly donated a NT Airfix FW-190 to me for this build, so there you go Tom, I'll do you a Wulf on a pole :grin:

IPMS#12300
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

ShaunW wrote:I'll do you a Wulf on a pole :grin:
Dog on a stick? :ha:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Welcome to the party, CMOT Dibbler...

bestest,
M.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

As well as the MK models Beaufighter, there are some quite affordable f-toys 1/144 'Gashapon' kits that may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Toys-1-144- ... Sw8-tWVzJa

regards,

Martin
Martin R

"the 'R' stands for 'Representative'."
TomW

Post by TomW »

jRatz wrote:Good News !!!!

I just snagged the White Ensign Flak Lighter from eBay; actually I stole it at $30 incl shipping ! Will be delivered next week.
When I get home Monday, I should have the paper ship kit version also, so we should be set.

That is excellent news John, well done 8-)

Martin R wrote:Tom,

I am happy to contribute a 1/72nd and a 1/144 Beaufighter to the cause if you wish.

regards,

Martin

Yes please to both Martin :grin: I had hoped you might want to join in with this one ;-)

ShaunW wrote:Stuart (Sir T) has very kindly donated a NT Airfix FW-190 to me for this build, so there you go Tom, I'll do you a Wulf on a pole :grin:

Excellent Shaun and much appreciated :grin:

Martin R wrote:As well as the MK models Beaufighter, there are some quite affordable f-toys 1/144 'Gashapon' kits that may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Toys-1-144- ... Sw8-tWVzJa

regards,

Martin

I hadn't even thought of the 'gashapon' options Martin, good thinking :grin: .

Once Pauls decal sheet arrives and we know exactly which options we can cover we can get to divvying out marking options. So please everyone building Beaufighters hang on on your choices till that point. Shaun you have a free choice of the Fw-190 options apart from 'Blue 4 - Rudi Linz' as that is being done by Darryl in 1/24th.

I'm going to add a build list to the original post and sticky the topic to the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

OK, time to get started.

I have my card model flak-lighter. A side benefit is that the magazine also had about a dozen color profiles of Flower corvettes, many I had not seen before. Yay!!

The card model is in Norwegian waters camo of 1945 - effectively 3 shades of blue-grey and that's what I'll do the WEM kit in also.

Just to check scale, at 1/350 a flak-lighter will be about 5.6" long - please verify that is what we are thinking. While the resin kit is what it is, I can adjust the card model easily.

What are the plans for the base ? My concern is if I should build waterline or will there be enough depth to make holes for the flak-lighters to drop in. The card kit is "easy enough" to make waterline, but the WEM kit is not. Fortunately, at 1/350, it only appears to draw about 0.18", so maybe simple holes are easiest ? I can provide a template, it will be a simple rectangular cut.

It appears the attacking aircraft are coming from off the port bow, maybe 20-30 deg ? I think the best I can do is build both to be firing within some limited angle off the port bow and let you "adjust" that by where the location and orientation of the holes. Is there any desire to have the aft guns firing at aircraft that overflown and are departing ? Or do you want the two lighters to be at (much) different angles (to Z33) rather than neatly in a formation?

I know it is early, but I'm interested in getting this firmed up so I can get started ASAP. And yes, I can hold off mounting guns until fairly late, but the waterline decision is a very early one. We also need to establish a "good idea" cut-off date.

If we stay with 1/350, I'll go look for some PE weaponry & details for the card kit ....

Do we need muzzle flashes & all that? I'd actually prefer I got the models done early, shipped over, and someone could handle those details 'over there' ....

Build here or "out on" UAMF? Do you want a build forum set-up or what/where ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

mattbacon wrote:Welcome to the party, CMOT Dibbler...

bestest,
M.
......Sausage inna bun..... :-D
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Dazzled wrote:
mattbacon wrote:Welcome to the party, CMOT Dibbler...

bestest,
M.
......Sausage inna bun..... :-D
Wot, pray tell, is a CMOT Dibbler?!?

IPMS#12300

Return to “CC CIG 2016 SMW Display - Black Friday”