The Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated

About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

The Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated

Post by TomW »

Just as the title says; the Coastal Command Special Interest Group is very much alive after a year on sabbatical. The silence has been entirely of my own doing as I have been too short of time to be able to give the SIG the attention it deserves. However things are looking up and I am preparing a list of shows that I plan to take the display to over the next year.

I've also got a few ideas about improving the supporting materials used on the displays and which areas of the CC timeline need better representation; most notably pre and post war, the elegant flying boats and the helicopters.

This is also a call to arms, new members are always welcome to join the SIG, you don't need to be an IPMS member though this helps when it comes to annual returns time. So if you have an interest in Coastal Command, no matter how small, and wish to join the SIG then PM myself with your name and IPMS number (if you have one) and I'll add you to the active roster.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: The Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated

Post by PaulBradley »

Good to hear, Tom! I would like to continue my membership of the SIG. :grin:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I also would like to continue membership; I still have the work I started to expand historical details, but I'll have to blow a bunch of dust off. Better also find time for a model or two I guess. As one of your Admins, I've been checking the board daily for activity, although I wonder if we shouldn't think about just moving that over here ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Hiya Tom!
Id like to become a member of this SIG please mate, I can offer an Airfix Shorts Sunderland for every show :).
TomW

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:Good to hear, Tom! I would like to continue my membership of the SIG. :grin:

I would expect nothing less Paul ;-)

jRatz wrote:I also would like to continue membership; I still have the work I started to expand historical details, but I'll have to blow a bunch of dust off. Better also find time for a model or two I guess. As one of your Admins, I've been checking the board daily for activity, although I wonder if we shouldn't think about just moving that over here ?

Great to hear you're still onboard John. As regards the dedicated Forum; personally I think it would be advantageous to have everything under one roof so to speak. So would be heartily in support of moving all our activity to the UAMF and our own little section of it.
How we would go about it is something I haven't a clue about, the inner workings of Fora is still a closed book to me.
Maverick231 wrote:Hiya Tom!
Id like to become a member of this SIG please mate, I can offer an Airfix Shorts Sunderland for every show :).

Welcome aboard Adam, the Sunderland is one aircraft on the list of missing types so that will be great :grin:

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks Tom :), consider it a permanent resident to the SIG's table :).
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I'd like to stay a SIG Member as well. Hopefully I'll be able to do a little more for it in 2015 too.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
TomW

Post by TomW »

Maverick231 wrote:Thanks Tom :), consider it a permanent resident to the SIG's table :).
Well that's a Sunderland III sorted and I'm planning a Sunderland I in the New Year, so who's brave enough to convert/scratch a Mk.V then? ;-) :ha:

bluesteel wrote:I'd like to stay a SIG Member as well. Hopefully I'll be able to do a little more for it in 2015 too.

It wouldn't be the same without you Julian :grin: as with everyone, every contribution is valued no matter the size.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I'm going to try to get the Coastal Command HP Hastings finished early next year, then start work on the Contrail Vickers Warwick. Unless Airfix announce one in their 2015 line up :-D
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

TomW

Post by TomW »

If they do then you'll be fighting me to get your hands on one :-D . Looking forward to seeing the Hastings finished, its a big imposing beast and will draw a lot of admiring glances.

All being well I'm planning on a Sunderland I and a Stranraer in the New Year, both in pre-war silver finish, following that I'm going to have a crack at a Wessex and maybe a Whirlwind if I can get hold of an Italeri H-19B kit for the cranked tailboom.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

TomW wrote: As regards the dedicated Forum; personally I think it would be advantageous to have everything under one roof so to speak. So would be heartily in support of moving all our activity to the UAMF and our own little section of it.
How we would go about it is something I haven't a clue about, the inner workings of Fora is still a closed book to me.
We have several experienced folks here, after all we moved selected key parts of the old UAMF here; yes it is tedious but unlike that event, not a crisis ... and a lot smaller ...

We could simply emulate the set-up over there, but perhaps we might look at any changes we might want and migrate to them. Note the CBK SIG here does not really include a modeling section, we do most of that within the general forum. We should have one member-only forum just for planning purposes. We need to decide if/how to move information supplied by former members or should we replace it, if needed, with our own work.

The History/Origins section is the one I was working that I have to dust off. It relied on, supplemented, amended some of the information in the Squadrons forum, but could also be standalone.

Just thoughts, I have plenty to do already ....
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

jRatz wrote:
TomW wrote: As regards the dedicated Forum; personally I think it would be advantageous to have everything under one roof so to speak. So would be heartily in support of moving all our activity to the UAMF and our own little section of it.
We have several experienced folks here, after all we moved selected key parts of the old UAMF here; yes it is tedious but unlike that event, not a crisis ... and a lot smaller ...

We could simply emulate the set-up over there, but perhaps we might look at any changes we might want and migrate to them. Note the CBK SIG here does not really include a modeling section, we do most of that within the general forum. We should have one member-only forum just for planning purposes. We need to decide if/how to move information supplied by former members or should we replace it, if needed, with our own work.

The History/Origins section is the one I was working that I have to dust off. It relied on, supplemented, amended some of the information in the Squadrons forum, but could also be standalone.

Just thoughts, I have plenty to do already ....
I agree it would be better to move it all here. I set up the original CC Forum before there was a section at UAMF. Now there's a good space for CC at UAMF it makes sense to put it all under one roof with perhaps a couple of expanded sub forums if possible, maybe of history/references etc. It would certainly make Admin a lot easier.
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

We probably need a Shows sub section (just like the Cold War SIG now has), References and History, CC Chat (which can be the existing CC area) and CC Admin (Private members only for internal CIG discussion). Modelling can be done in the main forums and perhaps linked to a Sticky in the CC area.

Also I have been less than diligent as I agreed with Tom I was going to create a database of models available for shows, and as yet although I made a start it hasn't progressed. Maybe it can then be on a Sticky in the CC Admin (Private area) or even as a Shared Google Spreadsheet.

Just a few thoughts
Bluesteel

TomW

Post by TomW »

That is very much what I had in mind Julian, a shows section to keep everyone up to date with planned displays and plenty of pictures of previous appearances, A dedicated References / History section for all of Johns' and others hard work and research, an open chat forum to discuss all things CC and a private Member / Admin section for all those things that need to be kept under wraps.

Who should I speak to to get this all set up?

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

TomW wrote:That is very much what I had in mind Julian, a shows section to keep everyone up to date with planned displays and plenty of pictures of previous appearances, A dedicated References / History section for all of Johns' and others hard work and research, an open chat forum to discuss all things CC and a private Member / Admin section for all those things that need to be kept under wraps.

Who should I speak to to get this all set up?

Regards

Tom
You are speaking to them - Julian, Paul, and I are all admin on UAMF and can do the internals work once we have a plan.

FYI, I have made a remark about this in the Admin forum, just to solicit concurrence and also discuss overall organization (placement of forums) on UAMF. We placed the SIG(s) below the core UAMF modeling, but above the general stuff. If both CC & CW SIG grow to a CBK size (# forums) they increase scroll time and we (UAMF) might want to look at that.

Return to “CC Information and Chat”