It is currently December 14th, 2017, 5:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 10:38 am 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen, if you are all seated comfortably then I shall begin....


It appears these days that every post I make on the CC forum is prefaced with an apology and this post starts with yet another. Once again I have not been able to invest as much time into development of the SIG as I would like to have done this year. That being said we have made a display appearance at 4 shows (including Telford) this year with many positive comments about everyones contributions. Furthermore we are booked back into these shows for next year already and I plan to add at least two more to the calender.

As we have a fairly small member count - the exact figure escapes me as I type - I obviously don't expect us to be able to build new displays from scratch but I am aware that the 'core' of the display hasn't altered very much in the past few years and I'd like to see us try and alter that situation over the next 12 to 18 months; especially as there have been several notable new releases of significant CC machines in the past year.

As such I'd like to propose an idea; I would like us to put together a display to showcase the heroism and dedication of CC crews in the face of overwhelming odds, more specifically I would like us to cover 'Black Friday'. Decals and modern toolings exist for almost all the types involved (except the Warwick) plus the operation had a fundamental effect in altering the Commands standing orders with regards naval target priorities.

Thoughts and alternatives are welcome. What do you, the SIG members want to do? What would you like from the SIG Leader?

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 1:06 pm 
Offline
Staring out the window
User avatar

Joined: April 6th, 2011, 3:08 pm
Posts: 11896
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Interesting idea, Tom - the new Airfix Beaufighter helps enormously with that! Similarly with the Fw190 and P-51s. The Z33 could be represented by a Matchbox kit, although I think there's a more modern tooling in 1/350 now as well. I'm assuming a diorama with planes on poles?

_________________
Paul

You can never have too many Spitfires!


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 1:52 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
PaulBradley wrote:
Interesting idea, Tom - the new Airfix Beaufighter helps enormously with that! Similarly with the Fw190 and P-51s. The Z33 could be represented by a Matchbox kit, although I think there's a more modern tooling in 1/350 now as well. I'm assuming a diorama with planes on poles?


A diorama is a possibility Paul although a 'museum exhibit' style display might be simpler to pull together. I was envisaging a line-up of aircraft from both sides (as many as we could get built - there are 31 Beaufighters, 12 Mustang III's and 12 Fw190 A8/F's to choose from) along with maps, photos and the historical narrative as well as the outcome of the raid. It was significant for several reasons after all; largest aerial combat over Norway in WW2, largest casualty list for any CC strike wing operation, the demise of a 70 kill Luftwaffe ace in Rudi Linz. Also two of the Fw190's in action that day are still in existence and both under restoration

I'd love to do something similar to the 2011 strike wing attack on a flak ship but am aware of the logistics behind such an endeavor and also of some people's aversions to dioramas. Comfort zones and all that... ;-)

Incidentally I have got the Aviaology decal sheet for 404 RCAF Beaufighters in my Hannants Telford order this year - not that this was pre-planned or anything :ha:

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 2:10 pm 
Offline
Staring out the window
User avatar

Joined: April 6th, 2011, 3:08 pm
Posts: 11896
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
While a line-up would be interesting, they are a dime-a-dozen at Telford - for impact, a diorama would be better. Challenging for sure, but think of the WOW factor. Planning would have to start right away; I'd be willing to take on a full share. Are there any decent 1/144 Beaus....?

_________________
Paul

You can never have too many Spitfires!


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 2:37 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Joined: May 1st, 2012, 6:25 am
Posts: 4386
Not yet a member of the CC sig, but would like to be, and to participate in this endeavour.

_________________
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 2:58 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
PaulBradley wrote:
While a line-up would be interesting, they are a dime-a-dozen at Telford - for impact, a diorama would be better. Challenging for sure, but think of the WOW factor. Planning would have to start right away; I'd be willing to take on a full share. Are there any decent 1/144 Beaus....?


I'm always a sucker for the WOW factor Paul :ha: and you're right it could be done if we all put our minds to it early enough. For 1/144 Beaus have a look on Hannants as I think Fly (or possibly 4+ - the chaps who did the 1/144 Wessex' a few years ago) just released several variants including I think Mk.X's

fredk wrote:
Not yet a member of the CC sig, but would like to be, and to participate in this endeavour.


Joining is simple Fred, just send myself or JRatz a pm requesting to join and we'll add you to the forum usergroup. For the official side I'll need your name, email address and IPMS membership details (if you have one - it's nota requirement for Sig membership) so I can add you to the annual returns. Glad to have you on-board :grin:

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 3:33 pm 
Offline
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN
User avatar

Joined: April 11th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Posts: 1715
Oh... you have to do a diorama. It'd be sooo 633 Squadron!. Seriously... that broken up ice in the fjord and the mountains would make a great backdrop to the models. You could do a forced perspective so say, the half the front edge of the table is the "open water" end, and the fjord tapers towards the opposite back corner. I/350 ships, waves of 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 Beaufighters running in, top cover with 1/72 and 1/144 (Sweet?) Mustangs, and a ruddy great 1/32 Beau right at the front to "anchor" it all....

It'd be way cool!

bestest,
M.


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 3:54 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
mattbacon wrote:
Oh... you have to do a diorama. It'd be sooo 633 Squadron!. Seriously... that broken up ice in the fjord and the mountains would make a great backdrop to the models. You could do a forced perspective so say, the half the front edge of the table is the "open water" end, and the fjord tapers towards the opposite back corner. I/350 ships, waves of 1/48, 1/72 and 1/144 Beaufighters running in, top cover with 1/72 and 1/144 (Sweet?) Mustangs, and a ruddy great 1/32 Beau right at the front to "anchor" it all....

It'd be way cool!

bestest,
M.


I can see the finished display in my head as you describe it Matt and it would look awesome. Do you fancy joining up and building a few towards it? ;-) No pressure or anything...

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 5:01 pm 
Offline
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN
User avatar

Joined: April 11th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Posts: 1715
TomW wrote:
Do you fancy joining up and building a few towards it? ;-) No pressure or anything...

Well, I have a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter kicking around, and my word, the Dragon 1/350 Z-31 "Smart Kit" looks tasty... if I see one at SMW.... ;-P

Edit: and there's a Lodela issue of the 1/32 Beaufighter with parts to make a TF.X on ebay right now:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LODELA-REVELL ... Sw~bFWI~Mt

bestest,
M.


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 5:45 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
mattbacon wrote:
TomW wrote:
Do you fancy joining up and building a few towards it? ;-) No pressure or anything...

Well, I have a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter kicking around, and my word, the Dragon 1/350 Z-31 "Smart Kit" looks tasty... if I see one at SMW.... ;-P

Edit: and there's a Lodela issue of the 1/32 Beaufighter with parts to make a TF.X on ebay right now:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LODELA-REVELL ... Sw~bFWI~Mt

bestest,
M.



I think I feel a plan coming together...... :twisted: and that Lodela Beau is on my watch list now. Though I know Al has one under way so perhaps it would be easier to get that one finished.

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 6:28 pm 
Offline
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN
User avatar

Joined: April 11th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Posts: 1715
TomW wrote:
Though I know Al has one under way so perhaps it would be easier to get that one finished.

Now, listen to yourself, Tom... think about what you're saying :twisted:

;-P

bestest,
M.


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 7:10 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
mattbacon wrote:
TomW wrote:
Though I know Al has one under way so perhaps it would be easier to get that one finished.

Now, listen to yourself, Tom... think about what you're saying :twisted:

;-P

bestest,
M.



You may have a point Matt.... :twisted: :ha: (please don't kill me Al :shock: )

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 7:16 pm 
Offline
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN
User avatar

Joined: April 11th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Posts: 1715
TomW wrote:
(please don't kill me Al :shock: )


...he knows we love him dearly... Anyway, the man's got four SIGs to support: I think Al's ideal world would be one in which he could build a 1/32 scale classic British Airfix/Revell co-production kit of a Coastal Command railway engine or motor bike, and just sit it at the intersecting corner of all our four tables!

Al can poison my Zizzi later...

bestest,
M.


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 20th, 2015, 7:21 pm 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 1st, 2011, 8:09 am
Posts: 2073
Location: Bridgwater, Somerset
mattbacon wrote:
TomW wrote:
(please don't kill me Al :shock: )


...he knows we love him dearly... Anyway, the man's got four SIGs to support: I think Al's ideal world would be one in which he could build a 1/32 scale classic British Airfix/Revell co-production kit of a Coastal Command railway engine or motor bike, and just sit it at the intersecting corner of all our four tables!

Al can poison my Zizzi later...

bestest,
M.



Very very true Matt and the same kit would make my life a lot easier too, such is the problem with having varied and downright eclectic modelling tastes :ha:

I take it from the last bit that you are partaking of the evening meal in a few weeks time? If so I'll guard your food from a vengeful SIG leader if you'll do the same for me.

Regards

Tom

_________________
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10


Top
 Profile   
 
Thoughts for 2016...
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts for 2016...
PostPosted: October 21st, 2015, 9:10 am 
Offline
Modelling Gent and Scholar
User avatar

Joined: October 1st, 2011, 11:08 pm
Posts: 6832
Location: Mid Glamorgan, South Wales
There are a few 1/350th Narvik Class destroyers around although, oddly, not a specific kit of Z33. The best bet is probably Dragon's Z32 as it's configuration is very close to her sister ship. The Z31 from the same manufacturer should be avoided as it comes with a one-off single gun forward turret only fitted to this specific ship. Reviews suggest that these Dragon kits are very good, if a little complex, and include photo-etched parts as standard.

The other alternative is Trumpeter's offering. This has been produced as 3 different versions (Z25, 30 and 43) although they'd all need significant work to create an accurate Z33. Heller also produced a Narvik Class in 1/400th but that's clearly older and much less well detailed.

Hope this helps :)

_________________
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!


Top
 Profile  WWW  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Macinscott 3 style by HighDefGeek