About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Thoughts for 2016...

Post by beany »

TomW wrote:
mattbacon wrote:
TomW wrote: Though I know Al has one under way so perhaps it would be easier to get that one finished.
Now, listen to yourself, Tom... think about what you're saying :twisted:

;-P

bestest,
M.

You may have a point Matt.... :twisted: :ha: (please don't kill me Al :shock: )

Regards

Tom
What, this barely started 1/32 Lodela Beau you mean, you cheeky gits - you'll both be 'aving yer own Black Friday if you ain't careful :shock: :ha:

I've actually bought the new Airfix Beau mainly to inspire me to complete the 1/32 one as well, and do it in a similar
scheme and squadron codes, as the old decals completely disintegrated so I'm left with nothing for the moment.

Tom knows I was going to do my own forced perspective display of 1/32 Lodel in front of 1/48 Tamiya TF.X in front of the
Airfix old TF.X which can now be the new TF.X. I probably still will for displaying these at home, but would love to
contribute to the diorama if it becomes a plan for 2016.

Cheers
Al.

EDIT: Whoopee - I've just looked on Hannants and they have Aviaeology decals in 1/32 for 404 Sqn Black Friday machine or the one I had already started on my Beau - Canadian Squadron in Coastal Command

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD32002M;
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD320101;

Roll on payday - or could I get these at Telford do you think - any suggestion which trader might have them please?
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Dazzled wrote:There are a few 1/350th Narvik Class destroyers around although, oddly, not a specific kit of Z33. The best bet is probably Dragon's Z32 as it's configuration is very close to her sister ship. The Z31 from the same manufacturer should be avoided as it comes with a one-off single gun forward turret only fitted to this specific ship. Reviews suggest that these Dragon kits are very good, if a little complex, and include photo-etched parts as standard.

The other alternative is Trumpeter's offering. This has been produced as 3 different versions (Z25, 30 and 43) although they'd all need significant work to create an accurate Z33. Heller also produced a Narvik Class in 1/400th but that's clearly older and much less well detailed.

Hope this helps :)
Excellent information Darryl and very helpful indeed (I know very little about Kriegsmarine destroyers) so perhaps a Dragon Z32 if you spot one at SMW Matt.....

beany wrote:
TomW wrote:
mattbacon wrote:
TomW wrote: Though I know Al has one under way so perhaps it would be easier to get that one finished.
Now, listen to yourself, Tom... think about what you're saying :twisted:

;-P

bestest,
M.

You may have a point Matt.... :twisted: :ha: (please don't kill me Al :shock: )

Regards

Tom
What, this barely started 1/32 Lodela Beau you mean, you cheeky gits - you'll both be 'aving yer own Black Friday if you ain't careful :shock: :ha:

I've actually bought the new Airfix Beau mainly to inspire me to complete the 1/32 one as well, and do it in a similar
scheme and squadron codes, as the old decals completely disintegrated so I'm left with nothing for the moment.

Tom knows I was going to do my own forced perspective display of 1/32 Lodel in front of 1/48 Tamiya TF.X in front of the
Airfix old TF.X which can now be the new TF.X. I probably still will for displaying these at home, but would love to
contribute to the diorama if it becomes a plan for 2016.

Cheers
Al.

EDIT: Whoopee - I've just looked on Hannants and they have Aviaeology decals in 1/32 for 404 Sqn Black Friday machine or the one I had already started on my Beau - Canadian Squadron in Coastal Command

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD32002M;
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD320101;

Roll on payday - or could I get these at Telford do you think - any suggestion which trader might have them please?
I've just ordered the same Black Friday set in 1/72 from Hannants for collection at the show - they give a ten percent discount on the price if you do that ;-) you have to set up a 'collect from show' postal address with them and then they bring it along and you pay them at the show.

I'm starting to think this idea could be a go-er chaps.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks terrific, Al.

I did the pre-order thing from Hannants last year- very convenient, but be warned there's always a bit of a line as so many people do it.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

TomW wrote:I'm starting to think this idea could be a go-er chaps.
I'm thinking you are right, Tom.

Mark 1 doesn't currently do a Mk.X but that may change before next year. Should be a simple conversion in that scale though.
Paul

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Tom, I was doing some research tonight and I found what appears to be a pretty comprehensive list of the a/c involved, down to serials/code tie-ups.... If you can beg, steal or borrow a book called "Beaufighter Squadrons in Focus" by Simon W. Perry, pages 47-51 detail the raid at length, with some nice photos AND that complete a/c list, with crew names, INCLUDING some of the German Fw190 participants! All incredibly useful stuff. I did a print screen of a Google Books entry - see below - I can e-mail those to you so you can read them better, due to the limitations of the forum s/w and the poor quality of copying. I will type up the a/c lists when I have some spare time.

Wow, just wow! :shock: I really thought we'd have to do some serious research to get that info, but it's all there for us..... 8-)
Paul

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

PaulBradley wrote: Wow, just wow! :shock: I really thought we'd have to do some serious research to get that info, but it's all there for us..... 8-)
You're not done yet, we need period photos of all the aircrew so we can sculpt the kit figures properly :lol:
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

There are at least 10 crew photos in that book and at the 404 Sqn website..... :ha: Get sculpting, John.... :lol:
Paul

TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

PaulBradley wrote:Tom, I was doing some research tonight and I found what appears to be a pretty comprehensive list of the a/c involved, down to serials/code tie-ups.... If you can beg, steal or borrow a book called "Beaufighter Squadrons in Focus" by Simon W. Perry, pages 47-51 detail the raid at length, with some nice photos AND that complete a/c list, with crew names, INCLUDING some of the German Fw190 participants! All incredibly useful stuff. I did a print screen of a Google Books entry - see below - I can e-mail those to you so you can read them better, due to the limitations of the forum s/w and the poor quality of copying. I will type up the a/c lists when I have some spare time.

Wow, just wow! :shock: I really thought we'd have to do some serious research to get that info, but it's all there for us..... 8-)

Well done that man! Seriously Paul that is a great find and I'll see if I can find a copy of the book at SMW next weekend (Amazon and Ebay are a bust :roll: ) It looks like we have background, interest and a will to put it together - I'll put together a formal proposal after Telford and see how the rest of the membership reacts.

jRatz wrote:
PaulBradley wrote: Wow, just wow! :shock: I really thought we'd have to do some serious research to get that info, but it's all there for us..... 8-)
You're not done yet, we need period photos of all the aircrew so we can sculpt the kit figures properly :lol:

Can I take it that you are interested in this idea John? I do hope so :grin: I think it would be good to do a new big display for next year.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Tom, I am not sure. I am very focused on WW1 right now and that includes the maritime predecessors to CC, how ever loosely tied.

I have no other suggestions, so we'll see what comes out in the discussions.
As a member I am always happy to contribute (past performance not withstanding).
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

One thing to bear in mind, John, is that we'd need a/c in a variety of scales, so some 1/144 and even 1/300 models would be relatively quick and easy.
Paul

Return to “CC Information and Chat”