Lifeboat-carrying CC Machines

About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Lifeboat-carrying CC Machines

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:I am thinking of getting an Academy SB-17. Can anyone confirm whether the lifeboat represented in the Academy kit is one that CC would have use?

If it is, would it be reasonable for a Hudson and Lancaster (& any others?) to also carry these same boats?
I'll check my sources when I get home, but I think the SB-17 and Lanc used the same boat, but the Hudson used a smaller one, as testing the Hasegawa Lanc's Lifeboat against the Hudson fuselage it's far longer than shown in the few photos of Hudson lifeboats that exist.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Re: Lifeboat-carrying CC Machines

Post by lancfan »

Brews wrote:
-would it be reasonable for a Hudson and Lancaster (& any others?) to also carry these same boats?
Sorry Brews the boat used by the SB-17 was completely different and of US manufacture by Higgins- they were sent a British mark one for evaluation but Higgins did not like it and said it was not strong enough and designed his own (as modelled by Academy (have my kit in the queue for the bench)) of completely different hullform (much broader in the beam) The Higgins Industries Company and Edo Corporation between them built the different types of US Airborne Lifeboat. Other aircraft using other types of US built boat were the SB-29 and the USCG versions of the PBY Catalina. The SB-17 was in use in the pacific during WW2 and went on to serve in the Korean War. Brazil also used the SB-17.
The wartime British Boats were of wooden construction and designed by Uffa Fox and were of three basic types, The Mark 1 was 23' 2" long and fitted to the Hudson. (this mark would also be used (with Hudsons) in NZ post-war) When fitted to the Warwick it had a reshaped gunwhale to fit the new fuselage and was known as the Mark 1a. (the Mark 1a is the type of Airborne Lifeboat displayed next to the Hudson at RAFM Hendon) The next boat and also fitted to the Warwick was the 30' 2" long mark 2. Post-war it would be fitted to the Lancaster ASR.3 in modified form as the Mark 2a. (Six of these boats would be sold to France for use by its Maritime Lancaster VII fleet) The next British boat was the 32' long all-alluminium SARO-built mark 3 designed for the Shackeleton, these were also sold to South Africa for their shackleton fleet.

This is a French ASR Lancaster with a Mark 2a boat that I built for an ATF GB last year.
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.o ... -asc-0.php;

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “CC Information and Chat”