CC SIG Model Database

About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

CC SIG Model Database

Post by bluesteel »

Tom,

One of the things I had on my list to do for quite a while, and never got around to it, was to build a CC SIG database of who has got what and where. I think that would help assemble displays for events and spot holes in the CC SIG coverage.

As I won't be 'Telfording' this year, I'd be happy to activate this project if you would like as my contribution to the SIG?

Location and ownership details would be held offline for privacy, but I don't see any reason why a list of CC models couldn't be held on a sticky on this subforum and on the CC Forum.

What do you think?

Julian
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
MerlinJones

Re: CC SIG Model Database

Post by MerlinJones »

I'm happy either way.
A list is one thing, pictures might be better.
How about a Coastal Command Gallery, containing the usual info per model and we only post our own work in it. Links to builds, as and when, but not essential?

Regards,
Bruce
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

MerlinJones wrote:I'm happy either way.
A list is one thing, pictures might be better.
How about a Coastal Command Gallery, containing the usual info per model and we only post our own work in it. Links to builds, as and when, but not essential?

Regards,
Bruce
Yes, for the forum a CC Gallery would be good.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Gallery up and running.
I suppose the boundaries between galleries may become a little fuzzy and I'm hoping people have the nowse NOT to post up every 'allied' subject as an 'aaly' and every axis subject as a target.

The more stuff that goes in, the more guidance people will have.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Is the "old" SIG forum to just go away ? I would have thought this gallery would be placed there, not here. Or are we splitting CC modeling from CC research/history ? The Gallery here will start to get repetitious.

I think the "enemies" gallery is too squishy -- just about anything could be put in there.

I think there should be an intro post to each gallery that explains intent & content. That is the SIG is CC, but really broadly maritime. If that isn't known to the casual observer they might question the inclusion of aircraft from the Pacific which I think were really Far East Command or something like that.

I think Julian's list is a better management tool for his stated intent and I would encourage him to develop same in any case.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Julian, I think the idea of a SIG database for content is a very good idea, as you said it will give us a quick access tool for display planning that will be invaluable. So please feel free to get the project up and running :grin:

Bruce, the galleries are a great way for us to advertise our work to the internet modelling community and are something I fully support, thank you for setting them up. I am sure that we as a group will keep the boundaries quite neatly defined, if not then we can always reassess the situation as required.

John, I have noticed that the 'old' or rather dedicated CC SIG forum doesn't appear to get very much activity, in either posts or views, which to my mind is counter to the self-promotion a forum can provide. The UAMF on the other hand is a very 'active' forum and would, in my opinion, be a better showcase for the modelling side of the SIG.
However I certainly don't want to see us lose all of the valuable research that has been carried out and documented on the dedicated forum and hope we can continue to use it as a repository for collective research.

Of course this is personal opinion and I would very much like to hear everyones feelings on the matter.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

John's point about an introductory post for each part of the Gallery is a good one.
I lobbed the titles in, just to elicit some thought and feedback.

"Coastal Command Types" is clear enough and I believe could remain as is.

I think we could do with something for those types that were specifically CC-orientated, without including everything that CC worked with. An RAF Rescue Launch would definitely be appropriate, but I'm not so sure about a Vosper MTB. I think some clarification, as I've attempted with my two contributions, might help us work out what is and isn't appropriately CC-related. Thoughts?

The "Targets" collection also needs re-defining. Julian's Flakship, alongside E Boats and U-Boats seem appropriate. On reflection, I'm feeling that a Ju52 Minesweeper, Emily and Mavis would not be appropriate, unless they related to specific historical incidents. In those cases, a writted piece about the incident should be included.

Whilst the 'proper' CC Forum was set up with lashings of enthusiasm, I'd rather not have to post on different Forums. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm really a one-Forum man, not like some of those Forum hussies out there! If you recall, the CC Forum was set up when the old UAMF host was pretty pants. Our current set-up is much better and safer.
Looking at how Greg is...er....populating his own SIG portion of the UAMF and the stuff within the CBK portion, I see no harm whatsoever in transferring the data from the CC Forum over here. After all, the little badge up top says that this Forum is Home of the CC SIG.

In terms of recruitment and inviting interest, I believe that the research stuff we already have should be directly available in here. When we set up, I tried to divert UAMF members over to the CC Forum, by only showing a relatively poor image of a CC build in here and providing a link to better, over at CC. From the scant feedback I received, I know that this didn't really work out as planned.

The current CC Forum won't be going anywhere and, just like my own 'spare' UAMF Forum, it's a handy lifeboat, 'just in case'.

Regards,
Bruce
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I agree with Tom, and Julian before, that we ought to keep the modeling on UAMF with the modelers -- and if that is to be the standard, fine by me.

On the historical/research side, I don't think we gain much by keeping it seperate and maybe moving all that over here is a good idea. I have been steadily working on "Early Years", starting from the WW2 CC infor Bruce posted & working backward. Unfortunately it isn't magically appearing like I'd hoped.

*But*, let's think about one thing. The original SIG has 22 (sub)forums -- we cannot just stick that into the middle of UAMF without causing a huge visual disruption, unless we move ourselves to the bottom, which we probably don't want to do either, or maybe set ourselves up like the GB archives with sub & sub-sub forums..

We do want to be organized, to include cleaning up this forum appropriately.

How about this for an initial cut, where TH=Thread, TH(P)=Pinned, , SF=Sub-Forum, SSF=Sub-Sub-Forum

TH(P): About & FAQ/Rules (locked from comments)
TH(P): Announcements (locked from comments)
other TH as they occur, but discouraged from being a general chat; keep it cleaned up.
SF: SIG Discussions
TH(P) Intro comments/guidelines
other TH as they occur
SSF if needed
SF: SIG Events
SSF as needed
SF: CC History & Reference
SSF: (all those currently under History & References)
SF: CC Modelling
SSF: (as original)

The old General SF just goes away. This gives us just 4 forums under the SIG main and that shouldn't be too much of a distractor. I am pretty sure we can set up just like the GB archives AND have threads intermingled with SSF (the board organizes them). If you look at the 2011 archived GB's, you'll see all the GB's on top, then a thread at the end. Don't know if we have controlover that to have threads on top or not.

Regardless, we should, because of the possible impact, get suggestions/concurrence from our host before we act. We've had some forum order complaints in the past ....

Do we also need a CC SIG member forum only ?

Sorry, I got carried away ....
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Looks good.
A suggestion;
SIG Events could be catered for by the current UAMF Events.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Well, I thought about combining overlapping areas as a way to reduce redundancy but then considered the need for the SIG to have its own personality, so to speak. If, for example, we combined Events with the UAMF Events, what would make a solely CC SIG member check the UAMF events unless we had something to point them there. At same time we, CC SIG, need a way to discuss/plan our participation separately and to retain our historical event info (maybe).

It's a tough dividing line. Maybe we move much of events in with modeling, they are closely related. ? And use the Announcements thread to point towards specific show announcements ?
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

I agree with John's proposed layout for a forum switchover, there is nothing to stop us re-arranging catagories or streamlining things further if the situation requires it.

In my opinion the best course of action would be to make the move and to see how the dust settles.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Tom, I'd recommend running it by the UAMF owner & Admin staff (of which many of us also are) for comments. Again, we'll be adding 3-4 forums to the visual space (about same as CBK SIG) and if then CW SIG wants to do the same, we're all changing the dynamics of the board .... I'd hate for any ill-will to crop up over this.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I've made an effort to keep CBK events separate from the general UAMF Events forum because CBK needs to maintain a distinction from the UAMF. People muddle the two enough as it is. These show threads are used to discuss organization of the displays and SIG show reports. However we don't do many events, even this year it's only four incl SMW, so doesn't warrant a section of it's own hence I put them in SIG chat.

I wouldn't think you need a SIG only forum in particular. We only use the restriction when discussing and setting up the next years display. You should set up a CC-SIG usergroup though.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)

Return to “CC Information and Chat”