Operation Hastings

About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Operation Hastings

Post by bluesteel »

With a lot of unavoidable background distractions I am attempting to build a Formaplane 1/72nd Vacform Handley Page Hastings in a Coastal Command Met Flight scheme:

It's a very basic vacform. It doesn't even have the thimble nose that's featured on the box art, and no decals (although I have suitable ones somewhere). No injected plastic or metal parts either.

It's possible I'll be able to rob some parts from an old Airfix Halifax as I'm led to believe that wings, engine cowlings and some u/c parts are the same/very similar. I have two Hastings reference books on order, so I guess I'll find out.

The cowlings definitely need replacing as the thin front edges are all crushed:

Until the references arrived it will be stage one: The Removal of Parts. Score, snap, score snap, wet'n'dry, wet'n'dry....
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Operation Hastings

Post by JamesPerrin »

I thought the Hasting was a Halifax with a new body (same as with the York and Lancaster) so the Airfix kit should prove a useful donor kit. I shall have to consult my Warpaint.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

JamesPerrin wrote:I thought the Hasting was a Halifax with a new body (same as with the York and Lancaster) so the Airfix kit should prove a useful donor kit. I shall have to consult my Warpaint.
James, that's what I had initially thought. But reading other aviation forums, there are more differences to the flying surfaces than I'd thought.

Even visually, the Airfix Halifax had squared tips and the Hastings rounded ones. Also the inner plane chord is different. So I'll be using the vacform wings. But the cowlings do look very similar, and hopefully will fool all but the most exacting rivet counter :grin:
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

If you do it with spinning props you won't have to worry about those 4 blade vacform nightmares ;-)
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

JamesPerrin wrote:If you do it with spinning props you won't have to worry about those 4 blade vacform nightmares ;-)
Yes, don't think that hadn't already crossed my mind :-D

It's at times like this I really miss consulting the Aeroclub website for appropriate metal parts :frown:
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:
bluesteel wrote:
JamesPerrin wrote:If you do it with spinning props you won't have to worry about those 4 blade vacform nightmares ;-)
Yes, don't think that hadn't already crossed my mind :-D

It's at times like this I really miss consulting the Aeroclub website for appropriate metal parts :frown:
Try Hannants.
'Twas my first port of call, but no joy. However I did order the two reference books from them as happily both were on Special Offer :)
Bluesteel

MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Try The Aviation Hobby Shop.

Regards,
Bruce
DHDrover

Post by DHDrover »

Someone makes rounded wingtips for the Halifax. I have a set, now glued on, for my 100 Group A/C. Unfortunately I do not have the name of the company to hand.

Dai
TomW
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TomW »

Great to see this one underway Julien, I don't think I've ever seen one built up before.

Regards

Tom
Veni, Venari, Vamoosi

Coastal Command SIG Leader 2012 - 2016

We'll call him Dinghy Watts...... - Paul Bradley

2016 A:B = 29:11
2015 A:B = 38:14
2014 A:B = 25:9
2013 A:B = 20:17
2012 A:B = I didn't keep score
2011 A:B = 39:11
2010 A:B = 51:10
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Interior floor and 3 formers cut out and dry fitted. Then the seats and instrument panel. I'll now have to wait until my ref books arrive to add a little extra interior detail - not too much as not a lot will be seen through the transparencies.

Bluesteel

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looking at the 1/72 plans in the Warpaint last night really gives you a feel for the bulk and size of this aircraft.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Hannants came up with the goods again in record time:

Both books look very useful. So some reading now to select a good CC Met scheme. I also found a good walk around with detail photos online too.
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I'm opening up the portholes before removing the fuselage from the plastic as it gives more places to hold it while I drill. The Hastings has unusually large portholes and they are rather faintly depicted in the plastic and I don't have a file or drill of sufficient diameter. So I have used a narrow felt tip to give a better outline, then an assortment of drills and files to open them up and gradually work back to the mark, attempting to keep them as circular as possible:

Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I have decided to depict the model as CC Met Flight TG624/B of No 202 Squadron, RAF Aldergrove 1962, as the Warpaint book has a good set of colour elevations and a Squadron crest I can scan and turn into decals:

Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Windows opened up and fuselage cut out. I'll wait until the fuselage is sanded down to the lines before removing the main glazing areas.

Just tried a dry fit with interior formers in place and all looks quite good. I just have to sand down the joins now if I can find a sheet or sheets of sandpaper large enough...

Bluesteel

Return to “CC Information and Chat”