Telford 2011 Display

About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Telford 2011 Display

Post by bluesteel »

I just thought I'd start a new topic here so we can discuss what we want to do for the CC SIG for Telford 2011.

The two suggestions so far are:

1. A display of long range patrol types from early days to the last days of CC.

2. A Strike display depicting a mixed Strike Wing, Beaufighters, Mosquitos & Beauforts attacking a German convoy at low level with rockets, cannon and topredos. For this I'd build the 1/72nd Snowberry as a German Flak Ship.

If we get 2 x 6' tables we could do both if sufficient CC Members contributed. If only 6' were available we could do one or the other. Last year it was mid June by the time we knew how many tables we'd have if my memory serves me correctly.

But I'm open to any more ideas.
Last edited by PaulBradley on April 3rd, 2012, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No longer needs to be a sticky
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Telford 2011 Display

Post by PaulBradley »

Both ideas have merit. I can send over my Wellington for #1.

Perhaps we can put small CC squadron badges around the edgs of the display - I can print those.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

PaulBradley wrote:Both ideas have merit. I can send over my Wellington for #1.

Perhaps we can put small CC squadron badges around the edgs of the display - I can print those.
That would be good. Glyn from IPMS Brampton Branch left me with some CC signage, but many of they must have been blown up from smaller images and are a little pixelated. But CC Squadron Badges would be useful and could be arranged along the front of the table.

The Wellington would also be very useful.

I'm hoping to build the Cruikshank VC Catalina, and to help there's a good article with colour plates in Junes Aeoplane Monthly. Then we'll have all 4 VC planes for display.

I'd like to have more post war planes as we had Shackleton and even RAF Neptune crew visiting the table last November.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have a Shack, but the problem is transportation...
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

PaulBradley wrote:I have a Shack, but the problem is transportation...
Given what happened to John's (jRatz) Sunderland it seems that US to UK shipping is a bit hit and miss for larger subjects, so probably not a good idea to ship. I have a few Shackletons in my stash and hope to build at least one before November.
Bluesteel

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

For #1, I planned on sending my "working" Wellington, after I finish it this summer. I was also thinking about sending my Fortress I, again after I finish it this summer -- even though the ASV I version didn't fly operational patrols, the basic Fortress I did.

For #2, you have to tell me what you want & I'll do what I can ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:
bluesteel wrote:But I'm open to any more ideas.
Malta was the key to the Central Mediterranean, and ultimately led to the Victory in the Western Desert, Sicily and the liberation of Italy. Often overlooked (like CC), its inhabitants received a collective George Cross.

I feel that some part of the display could be devoted to remembering its role in the Allied success. It would not be out of place to have some STrike a/c that were based in Malta. The Maryland that flew over Taranto before the famous raid, was that not a CC bird?
If we keep it strictly Coastal Command, Malta and the Med are a little tricky as the Command kept changing. I believe it was briefly under CC administered from Gibraltar, but then transferred too and from Middle East Command at various times. However, if we are building to our wider remit of CC and other Commands that had Maritime responsibilities, then it is definitely worth considering. I already have Warburtons Maryland built and it was his plane that did the Taranto Recce, at below mast height if I remember correctly.

There were also Beauforts, Beaufighters and Baltimores operating in a Maritime role from Malta at various times. Certainly their contribution is often overshadowed by the Hurricane, Spitfire and Gladiator defenders of the Island.
Bluesteel

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Broadly maritime is fine with me .... Malta or #2 keep me from shipping the Fortress ...

BTW, I think Triggs was technically not in CC, but another command, during his VC action ...
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

ALL ....

The Anti-Shipping GB forum will be set up this weekend -- runs 1 Aug to 11 Sep, with dirkpitt289 as GBL.

If we are to use this as an opportunity to fill our table, it's time to get organized .... (I certainly am not) ...
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I still haven't heard if we have one or two tables, I've asked for two. Last year I think it was mid June before it was confirmed. This year there's a new organiser, so it may be a little longer. I'll give it another week or so then start chasing.
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

OK I now know from the published layout the CC SIG has two tables next to CBK as last year. Therefore we have to fill them.

Only 2 months to go, so we need to clarify what we are going to do and who can supply what.

I think it looks like one table will be the generic Strike Wing. For which it looks like

Strike Wing Display
Bluesteel = 3 Blenheims and a 1/72nd Flowerclass Flakship. We could possibly use the Campbell Beaufort too - I'm sure he must have gone on other Strikes before the final Gneisnau attack.

jRatz = 3 Beaufighters and 4 top cover Mustangs

What I'd like then from other CC contributors, if possible is:

At least 2 more Beauforts
3 Mosquitos
A few Me109's and/or Fw 190's as customers for the Mustangs :grin:
A few other boats, possibly E-Boats in 1/72nd?

Table 2
There are two ideas for table 2

1. Patrol - long range patrol aircraft through the CC ages, or
2. As Brews suggested, CC aircraft and crews attached to the defence of Malta, strictly speaking not a CC Command operation, but it used CC aircraft and crews in a maritime strike/recce role, so I think it qualifies.

For 1, we probably have sufficient planes for a 2nd table, but for 2 we may have to build specifically for it and I'm not sure there's enough time now. So I reckon we should go for option 1 - unless of course someone wants to take on and run with the Malta option?

If we do the Patrol table, I would like to see a 1/72nd Shackleton if someone has one, or can build one for then, as we had Shackleton and Neptune crews visiting last year. I have a Neptune to contribute.

So please feel free to throw your hat in the ring with contributions :-D

Thanks,

Julian
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:I have a 1:72 Tamiya Mossie FBVI N*ED. Almost complete. Worthwhile? I'll see what I can do about Bf 109s and Fw 190s. Norwegian markings, I guess.
A Mossie would be good Brews, has to be u/c up of course...

Norwegian markings not necessary as if semi-historically accurate about the Flower Class Flak Ship, it was a Kriegsmarine converted French ship and run the gauntlet along the French coast and through the channel. The Mossie would have been later, but it'll be a generic display to encompass the early war Blenheims too.
Bluesteel

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:It's not too late to make it u/c up. The construction lends itself to placing the u/c last, so I could just cement the u/c doors in place with white glue. You'll have to ignore the non-retracted tailwheel :P
That sounds like a good plan. Of course having a tail wheel retraction failure on take off wouldn't have been a reason to return to base for a brave Mossie Strike crew :grin:
Bluesteel

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Julian, you have my Mossie form last year and it is perfectly fine for you to remove the U/C and repaint if necessary. :grin: Same with the Blenheim for that matter.

I have a Shack that I'd be prepared to contribute if necessary, but as the postage cost will be quite high, I'd not mind if someone in the UK contributed one instead!
Paul

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I replied in the CC SIG but here it is again.

Yes, 3 Beaufighter & 4 Mustang

No more production from me ...
Go for option 1 and use Triggs Lib.
Who has my Whitley from the FROG or 101 Gems display ?

Return to “CC Information and Chat”