Vickers Warwick (Contrail vacform 1/72nd)

About CC SIG, FAQ, Announcements, General Discussion and Chat

Moderator: JohnRatzenberger

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Vickers Warwick (Contrail vacform 1/72nd)

Post by bluesteel »

Preparing to go on the bench once the Neptune has moved on, the Contrail Vickers Warwick vacform. I'm going to take my time over this, so it may be on, of and on the bench again as other things crop up. I need to do some research concerning Warwick interiors, as there's no references in the instructions and not even seats with the kit. Also the instructions are basic to say the least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Warwick

Why no mainstream manufacturer hasn't injection kitted this important aircraft (842 built in many different versions) is a mystery to me...

Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Re: Vickers Warwick (Contrail vacform 1/72nd)

Post by bluesteel »

Brews wrote:Buy the plane, get a boat for free! Looks good, Julian. I'll see what I can dig up on it.
It's a rather crude boat shape protuberance, but I have more reference photos and details of the lifeboat than I do of the Warwick! I think there's a Warwick Profile booklet in existence which I might be able to track down, and I have seen Warwick Pilots Notes in the past, which usually have detailed instrument panel photos. But as far as any other interior photos or diagrams they seem very thin on the ground, so if you come across anything that would be welcome too.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I have the Profile - only one small interior shot of the rear fuselage that, unsurprisingly, shows that the Warwick had the same basic geodesic structure of the Wellington.

Are you going to do a full geodesic structure, as you did with your Welly? :shock:
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

PaulBradley wrote:I have the Profile - only one small interior shot of the rear fuselage that, unsurprisingly, shows that the Warwick had the same basic geodesic structure of the Wellington.

Are you going to do a full geodesic structure, as you did with your Welly? :shock:
There's one answer to that and its.... Never Again! :lol: I'll do the visible bits around the cockpit interior, but that will be it.
Bluesteel

lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I'll watch this one with interest as this kit is on my wants list under my ASR lifeboat theme although I have often thought of converting one from a wellington kit as the Warwick seems to be in essence a stretched wimpy but will need to confirm this properly before doing anything about it.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Useful pic here:

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/sww2/wa ... wick-2.gif;

if you ever DO want to build the structure!

bestest,
M.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Neat. Maybe Valom will come to the rescue, they've got a few other rare birds ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Maybe Kruaxi's friend will do a scratchbuilt cutaway version in 1/72...
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

lancfan wrote:I have often thought of converting one from a wellington kit as the Warwick seems to be in essence a stretched wimpy but will need to confirm this properly before doing anything about it.
In essence, yes, but if you are able to compare a Wimpy with the Contrail parts you will realise the enormity of the undertaking. A Warwick is pretty much a Wellington that's been on steroids for a bit, so it looks similar but is bigger all round. I'd say it would be worth acquiring the Contrail kit, for a vac the surface detail on the main airframe is pretty good, it is the nacelles, props and undercarriage that are a bit iffy, but with some well chosen aftermarket and/or cannibalisation from other kits it looks very doable.

peebeep
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Peepeep,
I am in no hurry to start this and if a Contrail kit turns up at the right price (at the right time when I have enough hobby funds to bid on such a thing as it could be expensive) I will go for one but the challenge of the conversion from Wellington to Warwick is very tempting and I will not make a final decision until I have both sets of plans in 1/72 scale side-by-side with the chosen kit which has itself not yet been sourced.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.

Return to “CC Information and Chat”