One thing into another conversion GB ** Complete/Archived **

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: One thing into another conversion GB ** On Draft 2016 Ca

Post by Dazzled »

6 weeks? Is that long enough to convert a 1/24th Fw-190A6 to an A8?

Only one way to find out ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Martin R wrote:
Chuck Finley wrote:How about a Monogram B-52D Stratofortress into the XB-52 prototype? Nothing like a tandem seating 'Buff' added to the collection.
Chuck,

If you can convert the ol' Monogram Buff into a prototype in 6 weeks, d*mn right I want it as part of this GB!

regards,

Martin

Martin,

I have the Lone Star Models XB-52 conversion set coming in as we speak along with a F-15 Reporter conversion for the Dragon P-61 Black Widow. Looking at the XB-52 conversion, 6 weeks is more than enough time. Afterall, I was able to convert a Revell of Germany Memphis Bell B-17F into an early B-17E with the remote belly turret over Christmas Vacation. (It's good being a teacher and having those 2 weeks off. :)

On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
fredk

Post by fredk »

If I don't get around to doing it afore the start date, which seems most likely; I have been, sort of, challenged to build a 1/32 car suitable for a German WW1 pilot. I intend to use the Airfix 1904 Mercedes for chassis and running gear, salvaging some parts from other cars and using plastic card and fillers.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I'm in search of some clarification regarding this GB. Does the conversion have to be made to a new build or could I convert an old completed model into something new?

I am thinking of converting a Kfir into a South African Cheetah.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I'm afraid that I might have to pull out of this GB :cry: . I'm rather inundated with builds for the rest of the year and really need to prioritise.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Old_Tonto wrote:I'm in search of some clarification regarding this GB. Does the conversion have to be made to a new build or could I convert an old completed model into something new?

Interesting question and on the surface it would seem logical - in fact, my project was leaning that way until I pulled the victim off the shelf and realized what a pain it would be.

We'll let Martin chime in here, might be case-by-case ...
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

I think I'm going to convert a Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard to a Type A MkII (or, from the single seat fighter to a four-passenger transport). Surgery will be required so I'll likely get the AZ Model kit rather than the Pegasus! Shame there isn't a 1/48 available (outside of resin). I should be able to cobble together the IAC decals from the MAC sheet that I have somewhere.

Of course, chances are I'll just convert it to a useless, twisted mess.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

Arcwelder wrote:I think I'm going to convert a Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard to a Type A MkII (or, from the single seat fighter to a four-passenger transport). Surgery will be required so I'll likely get the AZ Model kit rather than the Pegasus! Shame there isn't a 1/48 available (outside of resin). I should be able to cobble together the IAC decals from the MAC sheet that I have somewhere.

Of course, chances are I'll just convert it to a useless, twisted mess.
Well, this is a possibility for us all!
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

jRatz wrote:
Old_Tonto wrote:I'm in search of some clarification regarding this GB. Does the conversion have to be made to a new build or could I convert an old completed model into something new?

Interesting question and on the surface it would seem logical - in fact, my project was leaning that way until I pulled the victim off the shelf and realized what a pain it would be.

O_T,

Sorry, I hadn't got back to you. Life, etc. I'm going to go with a "yes" on this one. Not many people convert already made kits, so fair enough. From your PM, there doesn't seem to be much conversion, so details of your technique in stripping paint, re-baselining the build (?) and re-finishing would be good here.

regards,

Martin
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Martin R wrote:
jRatz wrote:

O_T,

Sorry, I hadn't got back to you. Life, etc. I'm going to go with a "yes" on this one. Not many people convert already made kits, so fair enough. From your PM, there doesn't seem to be much conversion, so details of your technique in stripping paint, re-baselining the build (?) and re-finishing would be good here.

regards,

Martin
Cheers Martin. There is more than enough conversion for me as this will be my first. I'll certainly be happy to document how I do it. I'd better figure out how I'm going to do all those things now!
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
MarkyM607

Re: One thing into another conversion GB ** On 2016 Calendar

Post by MarkyM607 »

I think I may have to rethink. Not being in this GB but what I'm going to do for it as I originally said I would convert my single seat Academy MIG-23S into a UB, using a resin set. But I built that for the MIG GB!! ;-) .Wonder what else there is in the stash...
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Yes, my #1 project seems to be un-needed for the CBK SIG at SMW2016, but I do have some other (I think lesser) conversions for that. Or I'll just stick with Plan A and do this for myself.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

MarkyM607 wrote:I think I may have to rethink. Not being in this GB but what I'm going to do for it as I originally said I would convert my single seat Academy MIG-23S into a UB, using a resin set. But I built that for the MIG GB!! ;-) .Wonder what else there is in the stash...
Looking through the posts I realise I already mentioned the above some time back!. Oops. Anyway, new subject for the GB, I have an Alley Cat Shorts SC.9 conversion set to convert the Airfix PR.9 Canberra to.. well an SC.9!!. Luckily I have a spare Canberra lying around. Actually I have several but the rest are built so no go for this!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Martin R

Post by Martin R »

So, I wonder if I should step out of my WWII comfort zone and do that Airfix Hunter that Paul gave me as a FRADU Mk 11, with the Leigh light in the nose, for the SMW2016 RN theme?

regards,

Martin
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Let me double check something because of a remark elsewhere.

Is this GB just for the conversion of a real-thing into another real-thing ?
Or could it be the conversion of a real-thing into a fictional-thing ?
How about the conversion of a real-thing into a different real-thing, but in a fictional context ?

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”