Starfix

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Do you own a Starfix kit?

Yes, but I'd rather build it in my own time, when no-one is watching.
67%
Yes and I'd like to take part in a Starfix GB
33%

Total votes: 3

MerlinJones

Starfix

Post by MerlinJones »

Much ribaldry is to be had with Starfix models, usually due to their dubious shapes and stuff. I built one many years ago, before I knew of such. I remember it being poor when compared to my Airfix, FROG and M'box models.

I only have one in The Stash, a Northrop Talon and, if brutally honest, it has even less appeal than it did, now that I have a Sword Talon to play with.
However, if it was to be Group Build experience, I might relent.

So we have another Poll...

If you do have a Starfix kit, (or several), I'm curious as to what you have.
Are they really as bad as their reputation suggests? There's only one way to find out!

Regards,
Bruce
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Starfix

Post by jssel »

Don't own one, I swear. But my LMS has the MkV Spit and something that looks suspiciously like a Bf something or other. Maybe the boxart was lifted from an old Sgt Rock comic book.

Either one would make a good whiffer. I fancy a Bf-109RQG6 (Drone).
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Martin R
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Martin R »

Don't own one, I'm afraid!
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

My first kit I built coming back into the hobby was a Starfix Mustang I purchased at a dollar store years ago. It was a horrible kit. I'm sure as a group build it might be kinda fun but I'm not interested in building another one. If I wanted to build a crappy kit I could buy an Encore (which I have one or two) or an old school Airfix kit.

I would have voted no no no but there is no option other then yes. Oh well I think you get my point
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I'm in the don't own one box as well - not sure that I ever saw them down here...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

....however...a build a crappy kit GB might have a certain twisted appeal...so long as 'crappy kit' can be defined...I'm starting to wish I hadn't got rid of that AA Model MiG-19 now...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

ive got an Me109 of some sort in 1/48....i actually bought it on purpose.....i need most of a 109 fuselage for a project and dont need anything else so being cheap was the main thing :-D .....i will get round to doing it one day :roll:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

No, no and a thousand times no. It's bad enough dealing with the latent (and previously undiagnosed) AMS brought on by my Airfix Mirage III. I dread to think what might happen if I tried to build the one and only Starfix kit that I have (an accident of a box full of mostly rubbish with a couple of Gems in...), and especially what the "opportunity cost" in lost modelling time for more gratifying (in the long term) builds might be...

Now, if anyone WANTS a Starfix 109...

bestest,
M.
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Interesting.
So, whilst many will openly scoff at the Starfix, few actually profess to have them. :mrgreen:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

MerlinJones wrote:Interesting.
So, whilst many will openly scoff at the Starfix, few actually profess to have them. :mrgreen:
What's your point? I've never had syphilis but I know I don't want it.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
bromo
On a long, long journey

Post by bromo »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:
What's your point? I've never had syphilis but I know I don't want it.
Well put i think :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
BEEN A WHILE
peebeep

Post by peebeep »

I did have a Starfix kit years ago but gave it to my lad to play with. We had one donated to the squadron a while ago, a 1/288 C-5 which was actually not all that bad.

Got plenty of VEB Plasticart stashed, they would also make for a bit of a hoot if you did a GB with them. as would a Starfix GB. Haven't seen any Starfix kits on sale for a ages, must have a look on Catweazle's tables next time I go to a show.

peebeep
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

very true, but i actually bought mine cos it was starfix............dont think i could bring myself to butcher a nice kit* :-D

*actually thats not true.......done it a few times :lol: :lol: :lol:
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

No Starfix here. I don't think I've ever seen one.

A "build something crappy" GB is an intriguing idea. Having already suffered through the Revell 1/40 T-34, I'm not sure if I've got anything that really qualifies. Oh wait ... I do have the Zvezda 1/35 T-60 tucked away ... it's acquired the reputation of being one of the worst 1/35 kits ever made.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

The 'build something crappy' GB... definitions of crappy please...? would it be one or more of the following"

Plastic like marble
Really bad parts fit e.g. like MJ's Husky build where one fuselage half was noticeable shorter than the other
Being little or no resemblance to the actual item

I'm conscious in writing even those three criteria that I am well on my way to describing some of the classic kits from Lindberg etc which are not actually that crappy just from another time...ditto for those brave Airfix jet pilots that only had a plank to sit on (noting that 'planking' is apparently quite popular these days)...

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”