'One for the books' -Book/comics GB *** Complete/Archived***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Re: 'One for the books' -Book/comics GB *** On 2017 Calendar

Post by Migrant »

I think you're right John. Time frame is exactly right, and although the engine/nose is different than most of the references I've found it's close enough. Thanks!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I'm still up for this as I can't find the Johnny Red Hurricane I built some time back I want to do another. One question though. from memory of the Jonny Red story I thought the falcon on the sides painted white but I found an image on the web with it in red. Which is correct?
Also does anyone do decals with falcon badges and the serial number P7089?. I'd need a few badges as I intend to do at least four of the falcons aircraft including the Mig 3, Polikarpov I.15 and I.16 as well as the Hurricane.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Gregers wrote:I'm still up for this as I can't find the Johnny Red Hurricane I built some time back I want to do another. One question though. from memory of the Jonny Red story I thought the falcon on the sides painted white but I found an image on the web with it in red. Which is correct?
Also does anyone do decals with falcon badges and the serial number P7089?. I'd need a few badges as I intend to do at least four of the falcons aircraft including the Mig 3, Polikarpov I.15 and I.16 as well as the Hurricane.

All the best.

Greg
Do you have the facility to print decals? I could do a screengrab of the Falcons badge on the cover of the Johnny Red book, tidy it up and make a template of a few sets of left and right facing Falcons.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

jRatz wrote:Tail's not right for a Junkers.

It is closer to the Polikarpov (sp) I-1, but I'm no expert -- in what time frame does the book take place, the I-1 was early 1920's.
Having had to do paintings of rarely photographed subjects from old and grainy photos (pre-Internet days) I would say that the I-1 is probably the closest match. More than once I have gotten to near the end of a painting only to find that there is some fairly major detail that is difficult to make out clearly from the photo. I imagine Herge might have had similar difficulties with the detail and quality of contemporary photos of Soviet aircraft.
He also is reported to have later admitted to being embarrassed about the quality and accuracy of 'Land of the Soviets' compared to later works.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Purplethistle wrote:
Gregers wrote:I'm still up for this as I can't find the Johnny Red Hurricane I built some time back I want to do another. One question though. from memory of the Jonny Red story I thought the falcon on the sides painted white but I found an image on the web with it in red. Which is correct?

All the best.

Greg
Do you have the facility to print decals? I could do a screengrab of the Falcons badge on the cover of the Johnny Red book, tidy it up and make a template of a few sets of left and right facing Falcons.
Unfortunately not but I'll do some asking around to see if anyone can sort them for me. Cheers

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

All the best.

Greg
Nice choice... I love the Johnny Red series but I think the website that had the comic posted was taken down. Shame....
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Re: 'One for the books' - Book & comics based Group Build?

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

jRatz wrote:Hey Dirk, so we drew you out again !!

I think someone mentioned the Airfix 1/32 Bentley, although Chitty seems to have more of a boat-tail ? Maybe the Matchbox 1/32 Aston Martin Ulster would be better.
HAHA, I was dragged back in for this... :ha:
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Purplethistle

Re: 'One for the books' - Book & comics based Group Build?

Post by Purplethistle »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:
jRatz wrote:Hey Dirk, so we drew you out again !!

I think someone mentioned the Airfix 1/32 Bentley, although Chitty seems to have more of a boat-tail ? Maybe the Matchbox 1/32 Aston Martin Ulster would be better.
HAHA, I was dragged back in for this... :ha:

Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:

All the best.

Greg
Nice choice... I love the Johnny Red series but I think the website that had the comic posted was taken down. Shame....
Fear not! The comic strips have been compiled into books.......
https://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Red-Falco ... 1848560338;
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

A quick question, I have the 1/35 Italeri MTM Barchino that I want to build as is.

No 4842 Commando book "suicide Run" uses an attack craft obviously based on the Barchino but with an extra hatch on the deck and a square cockpit for two instead of one.

Would this build be allowed?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Would you add the hatch, Splash?
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm thinking as a removable item on top of the deck!

So possibly yes.
Purplethistle

Post by Purplethistle »

splash wrote:A quick question, I have the 1/35 Italeri MTM Barchino that I want to build as is.

No 4842 Commando book "suicide Run" uses an attack craft obviously based on the Barchino but with an extra hatch on the deck and a square cockpit for two instead of one.

Would this build be allowed?

Regards Splash
I'm not familiar with the type, and Googling didn't turn up a reference to a 2 seater so I'll assume that it was 'Artistic Licence'. So the kit built with the removable hatch is enough of a representation of the boat in the story for me!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers sign me up.
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Purplethistle wrote:
Fear not! The comic strips have been compiled into books.......
https://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Red-Falco ... 1848560338;
That's great but because of space constraints I've gone all digital. I've now got close to 550 GIGs of comic books. I would love to find these in digital format.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”