Tails from your local GB

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Tails from your local GB

Post by jssel »

Sawyer International Airport (AKA K I Sawyer AFB) was a SAC base but had many transits from Canada (CF-5's and CF18's) and an occasional RAF type (Vulcans and Victors). Also FB111's, F101B's and F106A. Think I could dog somthing up.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Not sure about a place to fit this one in, but if I do, it'd have to be the Wright Flyer.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

59North wrote:Indeed, this is a grand idea.
Sadly, I am a prolific failure in the GB business. So much so, that it is now an embarrassment to enter more than one at a time. For me, people will just have to quit coming up with good idea's.

Bye-the-way, it's 'tales'. 'Tails' refers to something else.
There's no shame in a DNF -my list is long and undistinguished but every once in a while (OK, then, twice...!) I amaze myself and no doubt others by actually finishing something - but there is a potential loss in not at least starting...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

MDT wrote: (I'm in Derby, home of Rolls-Royce cars, but I have plenty of old airfields within 20 miles)
Your also near the RR aero engine facility then. Plenty of wingy thingies to go at with their current products, Also they have a very fine engine heritage mini museum in there that has apart from the engines a Canberra nose/cockpit section. All food for thought as far as G/B fodder goes.

I grew up in Leeds with Leeds Bradford Airport, the Vickers Barnbow tank factory and Blackburn aircraft. and I now live in Doncaster with RAF Finningley, RAF Doncaster/Doncaster aerodrome, RAF Misson RAF Lindholm, and quite a few others around here give plenty of choice too.

If this GB is early next year then I'm in.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
MDT

Post by MDT »

Impressive response so far guys, great stuff! I think we'll keep the ideas flowing for now but I'll look into a poll for dates at some point soon (when I've got my head round how to do it :roll: )
Gregers wrote:
MDT wrote: (I'm in Derby, home of Rolls-Royce cars, but I have plenty of old airfields within 20 miles)
'mini museum in there that has apart from the engines a Canberra nose/cockpit section. All food for thought as far as G/B fodder goes.

I grew up in Leeds with Leeds Bradford Airport, the Vickers Barnbow tank factory and Blackburn aircraft. and I now live in Doncaster with RAF Finningley, RAF Doncaster/Doncaster aerodrome, RAF Misson RAF Lindholm, and quite a few others around here give plenty of choice too.
Lots of options there Greg and lots of potential CBK choices too.
Where I live in Derby close to 'Royces' I do get to hear the odd engine test! The Rolls-Royce Heritage Centre is a real Aladins Cave bu its a crying shame its not publicly accessible more often. At the moment I'm trying research Derby Airport (Burnaston) which sadly disappeared under the Toyota factory :cry: .
59North

Post by 59North »

Will winged visitors to the local airshow work? That's about all I have in my remote area, with photos for evidence.
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

York's pretty well sorted too. Airfields in the immediate area include Acaster Malbis, Church Fenton, Elvington, Full Sutton, Linton-on-Ouse, Marston Moor, Riccall and Clifton Moor (underneath my local Tesco these days).

Then there's all the exhibits at the Yorkshire Air Museum, plus the old Airspeed factory in the centre of York that was pulled down last year, where Airspeed Tern gliders and Airspeed Ferry a/c were built.

Finally, there is of course the Avro York.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
MDT

Post by MDT »

59North wrote:Will winged visitors to the local airshow work? That's about all I have in my remote area, with photos for evidence.
I don't see why not! I understand some forum members were likely to have such a problem so I think it would be better to be flexible if it encourages people to take part.
MDT

Post by MDT »

Brickie wrote:York's pretty well sorted too. Airfields in the immediate area include Acaster Malbis, Church Fenton, Elvington, Full Sutton, Linton-on-Ouse, Marston Moor, Riccall and Clifton Moor (underneath my local Tesco these days).

Then there's all the exhibits at the Yorkshire Air Museum, plus the old Airspeed factory in the centre of York that was pulled down last year, where Airspeed Tern gliders and Airspeed Ferry a/c were built.

Finally, there is of course the Avro York.
Some great places there - I never realised Airspeed where there. You've bought back some memories of flying over York in a Chipmunk in my Cadet days!
Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

There was a small Airspeed factory that started life as a tram shed, built some gliders and Ferry biplanes, then went on to be a garage. Its last use was as a MegaZone laser tag game, but it's been standing empty for 20+ years so sadly had to come down.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It sounds like a brilliant idea for a GB, unfortunately living in Somerset limits my choice of builds, I only have the Westlands factory in Yeovil and down the road Bovington tank range & museum plus Portland Naval base.

So apart from a every Westland fix wing aircraft and helicopters built, plus virtually evert tank ever built and every RN ship that has carried out a work up at Portland, I'm limited for choice :-D

So sign me up as virtually every kit I'm stash would fit the bill. :lol:

Oh I forgot I'm also only 5 miles from RNAS Yovilton as well, so every type of a/c the FAA has operated fits the bill
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

splash wrote:It sounds like a brilliant idea for a GB, unfortunately living in Somerset limits my choice of builds, I only have the Westlands factory in Yeovil and down the road Bovington tank range & museum plus Portland Naval base.

So apart from a every Westland fix wing aircraft and helicopters built, plus virtually evert tank ever built and every RN ship that has carried out a work up at Portland, I'm limited for choice :-D

Oh I forgot I'm also only 5 miles from RNAS Yovilton as well, so every type of a/c the FAA has operated fits the bill
And, now, starring in our first one-man Group Build ... drum roll please ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
MDT

Post by MDT »

jRatz wrote:
splash wrote:It sounds like a brilliant idea for a GB, unfortunately living in Somerset limits my choice of builds, I only have the Westlands factory in Yeovil and down the road Bovington tank range & museum plus Portland Naval base.

And, now, starring in our first one-man Group Build ... drum roll please ....
...and what a fine GB it would be too! Think I'd spoilt for choice there indeed! Only last week a colleague and I were discussing Bovington tank museum and how great it is.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I probably won't have time to join this interesting GB but if I did I'd make a David Brown RAF Tractor as the factory moved to just outside Huddersfield in the '30's. In fact there is a bright red civie version 5mins from my house at Tolson museum.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

More I think about it, the more I like this idea...

Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”