Tails from your local GB

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

MDT
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Tails from your local GB

Post by MDT »

MarkyM607 wrote:Would allowing your county be an option?, there might not be anything within the 20 mile range but the county you are in could have some decent aviation history.
I don't see a problem going county-wide.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I've a few options!

Spitfires from 602 and 603 Squadrons operated from the airfields of Drem and Turnhouse, particularly in 1939/40. Indeed, the first German aircraft to fall on British soil was shot down by a Spitfire based at Turnhouse. Turnhouse also had a Spitfire gate guardian for a number of years (it's now in the RAF Museum).
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
MDT

Post by MDT »

DazDaMan wrote:I've a few options!

Spitfires from 602 and 603 Squadrons operated from the airfields of Drem and Turnhouse, particularly in 1939/40. Indeed, the first German aircraft to fall on British soil was shot down by a Spitfire based at Turnhouse. Turnhouse also had a Spitfire gate guardian for a number of years (it's now in the RAF Museum).
Those vitally important bases of the North! Often not as well remembered as the BofB bases and very worthy subjects.

I'm really impressed with the responses so far and please carry on with the ideas. However I feel with the GB calender filling up for this year (including my own commitments to finish a couple for the first time recently :roll: ), and many non modelling commitments coming up, I think I'd be best to resurface the idea later in the year to set some dates for early next year. I'm awaiting confirmation of a important work contract at the moment but once I know where I am with it I can get the ball rolling on this GB properly. I hope this does not put off the excellent response I've had so far.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”