Fokker D.VII Centenary *** Complete & Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Fokker D.VII Centenary *** Complete & Archived ***

Post by Arcwelder »

I know, I know. Biplane builds are scary. However, the D.VII has a couple of advantages here: the only rigging really required is on the undercarriage (and if you omit it altogether, no-one would blame you) and the kits that are available for this wonderful aircraft go together so well that attaching the top wing is a breeze.

The Fokker D.VII entered the war in the summer of 1918. Manfred von Richthofen had been a test pilot for them and his personal enthusiasm for the type got Fokker their contract and the likes of Albatros and OAW instructions to build licensed versions. It was the first genuinely modern fighter aircraft to get into WWI and, as such, was specifically named in the Armistice terms. All Central Powers D.VIIs were to be surrendered. Tony Fokker himself managed to smuggle several back to the Netherlands.
The type went immediately back into action in Poland, Russia and Hungary in 1919. Thereafter they were used by upwards of 20 different airforces.

I reckon a GB to build this wonderful aircraft would be fun on a couple of grounds:

1) They were painted in lots of different colours and styles by the Jastas using them so there is a huge variety of schemes available from WWI alone. Additionally, there are a huge number of decal options available for the various operaters of the type post-war
2) No rigging on the wings. No rigging at all if you don't want to.
3) The kits available are uniformly good. Obviously the 1/32 WNW is the best, but the ancient Revell 1/72 has aged very well and is still available.. and Eduard have just reissued their superb 1/48 so there will be bells and whistles for that available soon.

The D.VII is an iconic plane and a great place to start for people who don't think they can build WWI aircraft.. so what do y'all think?
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Fokker D.VII build?

Post by AndrewR »

I think I have the Roden 1/72 lurking in the stash. So I'm interested.
Up in the Great White North
fredk

Post by fredk »

I'm in.
I have Revell and Esci kits plus loads of variations in markings. Currently working through them.

As for rigging; there is actually a wire from cockpit area to under the top wing and a wire from fin to each fixed tail plane. But all these can be left off.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I might jump in on this if A) if have a kit of one, and B) my full-ish GB schedule allows a building spot to be open and available!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Good idea for a GB.
I would be in if it were not limited to real world schemes. I have a number of kits but all are earmarked for fictional builds (Biggles or John Harris stories).
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

I'm in. I've got loads in various scales. Might worth making it a 6 week build rather than the normal 4.
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

VickersVandal wrote:Good idea for a GB.
I would be in if it were not limited to real world schemes. I have a number of kits but all are earmarked for fictional builds (Biggles or John Harris stories).
Oh, heck yes. I was never one to let a little reality ruin my fun. Bring on the Biggles. I'm contemplating a "Whif" of a von Richthofen D.VII (if he had lived to get his hands on one in the field)
I'm in. I've got loads in various scales. Might worth making it a 6 week build rather than the normal 4.
Rad. 6 weeks? Might be an idea.. guess it depends on what schemes people want to do. I've blitzed the 1/72 Revell but there's always those pesky lozenges (and I guess a lot more detail in the big scales).. but worth a think, yes.

TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Arcwelder wrote:
VickersVandal wrote:Good idea for a GB.
Oh, heck yes. I was never one to let a little reality ruin my fun. Bring on the Biggles.
Rad. 6 weeks? Might be an idea.. guess it depends on what schemes people want to do. I've blitzed the 1/72 Revell but there's always those pesky lozenges (and I guess a lot more detail in the big scales).. but worth a think, yes.
It took me nigh on three months for the Albatros but as rigging is minimal I think 6 weeks is about right. I guess if I did one in 1/72 then 4 weeks wouldn't be a problem. I do have to go to my local occasionally ;-)
Arcwelder

Post by Arcwelder »

I do have to go to my local occasionally
See if your local will let you set up a modelling table. Problem solved! :-D

TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Arcwelder wrote:
I do have to go to my local occasionally
See if your local will let you set up a modelling table. Problem solved! :-D
That way lies madness ;-)
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Arcwelder wrote: Oh, heck yes. I was never one to let a little reality ruin my fun. Bring on the Biggles. I'm contemplating a "Whif" of a von Richthofen D.VII (if he had lived to get his hands on one in the field)
Cool idea!
I'm in like a thing that's really in!
I've blitzed the 1/72 Revell but there's always those pesky lozenges (and I guess a lot more detail in the big scales).. but worth a think, yes.
We'll all be hand painting the blank Revell lozenge, right? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brickie
Can't be Jiggered with Faffing About

Post by Brickie »

Eduard's 1/48 Fokker D.VII MAG dual combo is currently on half price at Hannants, BTW. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDK1147;

Got mine the other day. Looks like a fantastic kit, two of them for £20. If time allows, I might well take part.
"If you can fly a Sopwith Camel, you can fly anything!"

A 7 | 12 B
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Brickie wrote:Eduard's 1/48 Fokker D.VII MAG dual combo is currently on half price at Hannants, BTW. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDK1147;

Got mine the other day. Looks like a fantastic kit, two of them for £20. If time allows, I might well take part.
Tremendous value. I bought this a while back and I'm surprised it's still available.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

VickersVandal wrote:
We'll all be hand painting the blank Revell lozenge, right? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:-D

Grownup colouring books are all the rage right now
Up in the Great White North
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Oh, there would indeed be rage....

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”