Early Cold War GB

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Gadfly
Active Participant

Early Cold War GB

Post by Gadfly »

Hi,

Here is a suggestion for a GB to cover Aircraft, Ships, AFV's, Rockets and Missiles used in the Early Cold War period. Any kit any scale any manufacturer. No WHIF's

Using Wikipedia as a handy reference ( yes I know) the Cold War is broken up into several periods. I propose the GB covers the period 1947-1962 the subject you are modelling needed to have entered service before 31st December 1962.

This period covers a number of Wars such as Korea 1950-1953, IndoChina 1946-1954, Algeria 1954-1962 , The Suez Crisis etc etc.. So what do we do about those in the context of a GB?

My suggestion is where possible participants avoid subjects that directly tie into a specific conflict. So for example build your Airfix MiG-15 as a generic Soviet aircraft not a North Korean Aircraft.

The range of potential subjects is huge and covers a lot of development in technology. So it should be possible to have lots of variety and great subjects without needing to dip into well trodden ground for subject matter.

let me know what you think.

GF
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Early Cold War GB

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Gadfly wrote:My suggestion is where possible participants avoid subjects that directly tie into a specific conflict. So for example build your Airfix MiG-15 as a generic Soviet aircraft not a North Korean Aircraft.
Out of curiosity, why ? I can understand allowing generic subjects of the period, but not avoiding specific subjects.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Gf, the wars you mention could each be a valid GB subject.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Yes I thought that as well. Hence a bit of restraint at letting subjects from them filter over into this potential GB.

Plus while you could argue every major world event was influenced by the Cold War in that period Some of these conflicts we're just colonial in nature so arguably not in the scope of the GB.

It's a trade off I suppose you want a nice wide remit to allow a good range of potential subjects to attract participants. Without allowing Carte Blanche.

Thoughts?
GF..
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

I'm in, naturally. ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
fredk

Post by fredk »

For my tuppence worth;
I learnt that the 'Cold War' was a stand-off between NATO and the Warsaw Pact countries in greater Europe.
The conflicts in other areas, eg Middle-East, Congo, Vietnam, Korea, were 'Hot' wars and where the Eastern and Western military hardware was tried out and shown off.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

Hi Fred,

I'm not sure if that is the case. For example the Cuban missile crisis is considered to be a Cold War event yet took the place many miles from Europe and didn't involve NATO in any way.

Cheers
GF
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

For reference, please check out the remit of the Cold War SIG here:

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=12816
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Thanks, Darryl & Chris.

As pointed out, the CW was as much political/ideological as anything, not necessarily bound in time or space. Just about anything that went on, regardless of who, where, what, why, when had something to do with the two powers elbowing each other around. Money, supplies, equipment, even manpower were provided in an effort to influence event he smallest country to align one way or another. Many times all this took place through surrogates, with the two powers seemingly one-two steps removed, but they weren't.

Let's be simple here and go with Early Cold War, 1947-62, any subject. Or if too broad then agree on definable limits but not exclusions.
SBO
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by SBO »

This is definitely something I am interested in. As a history grad who loves this time period I am keen - though I have to ask, would space themed kits come in under rockets?
My modelling Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mattscalemodels/
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

jRatz wrote:Thanks, Darryl & Chris.

As pointed out, the CW was as much political/ideological as anything, not necessarily bound in time or space. Just about anything that went on, regardless of who, where, what, why, when had something to do with the two powers elbowing each other around. Money, supplies, equipment, even manpower were provided in an effort to influence event he smallest country to align one way or another. Many times all this took place through surrogates, with the two powers seemingly one-two steps removed, but they weren't.

Let's be simple here and go with Early Cold War, 1947-62, any subject. Or if too broad then agree on definable limits but not exclusions.
Whilst I agree with your point John I think allowing anything from the cold war period is going to cover far too many subjects. I think we should narrow the criteria somewhat to region. My preference being Europe as this is where the super powers and their allies faced of over an extended period of time.

So from a GB point of view how about any cold war subject, European based; 1947-62. That still gives you lots of scope (including the reformed Luftwaffe) whilst at least ring fencing the protagonists. Just my two penneth worth.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Good suggestion, O_T, tightens up the focus quite nicely - if that's what Gadfly wants.

I think we (or maybe just me :roll: ) were wandering into a one-over-the-world discussion of the Cold War.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I'd be interested in any Cold War GB so count me in!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I think it would be good to do the starting period from right after the second world war, perhaps the decade after. It would certainly be the 'early' Cold War!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Gadfly
Active Participant

Post by Gadfly »

The intent was to set a set of parameters that allowed for a diverse range of subjects that are not exclusively aircraft. The hopeful outcome is therefore lots of choice and hopefully lots of participants.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”