2017 GB/SB FAQ

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

2017 GB/SB FAQ

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome to the UAMF Group & Shared Build Forum

We have carefully considered all input and thank you for it.

Guidelines have been re-organized and shortened. The previous Guidelines had grown long with philosophy and short on information; they have been un-stickied and are still here if you want to look at them. A careful reading should make the changes obvious. If not, we are leaving this as an FAQ, for a while, for Q&A.

Shared Builds have been combined with Group Builds, as they should have been to start with. Not only does this enhance their visibility, it makes them more available as an option to the formal Group Build. Chat now contains both GB & SB to make it easier to solicit for new GB/SB, in particular to perhaps use an SB in lieu of an undersubscribed GB.

We now have a combined GB/SB Calendar to enhance visibility and assist with scheduling decisions.

Last, the Index of Past GBs is updated, but we do not yet have a scheme/plan for how we might fold SB into that yet. Please see the intro to the Guidelines for a discussion about the Galleries, etc.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: >>> GB/SB FAQ

Ooops, I forgot to mention that it is OK to adjust all currently calendared GBs to the new Guidelines -- expand length, shift dates, etc -- talk among yourselves and then the GBL should PM changes (or not) to me.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Is there any way the intro chat threads for GBs which have taken place can be culled or archived from the chat thread?
Not only would it clean it up and shorten it it'll make it easier to see what proposals stalled and maybe re-start some of the good ideas.

I would think to just add the SBs into the archive alongside the GBs, indexed as per the year as usual.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I have been adding *** markings *** to chat threads which yield a GB, such as "on Calendar", "Forum open", "Completed/Archived" for a few years now, and I have gone back and trimmed dead polls, and stuff from thread titles, etc. So the threads without the *** markings *** are the proposals that stalled.

I have thought about archiving the chat thread with the GB, but if I start, it can't be retroactive - I'll think about it.
I could rather cull the stalled proposals so they don't get trotted out again & again; new good ideas would be better.
Maybe it is time to archive all of GB Chat through 2016 and start fresh.

On the SB, I'll think about it, if/when SB become a factor.

** I am afraid to move topics between forums as they may disconnect any links in posts; I'll have to play with that.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Pen and paper time; I'll make a note of old proposals which stalled but sound ok ;-)
Some of the stalled proposals aren't poor ideas, it was the proposer moving on, maybe leaving the membership and thus no progress.
Yeah, why not, a fresh start, a clean sheet.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Thanks for posting this thread. I wasn't really clued up on Shared Builds. I see that the thread was generated in January - which is always a rotten time for me due to work pressure - which is why I didn't spot it at the time.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Okay, call me confused. What is the difference between a "Group Build" and a "Shared Build"?

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

A Group Build has a minimum number of members (six) and runs for a short time- A Shared build can have as few as two builders but no more than Five and ends when the participants decide to stop.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

pmmaker wrote:What is the difference between a "Group Build" and a "Shared Build"?
See here
http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14844;
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”