Golden Jubilee Group Build?

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Golden Jubilee Group Build?

Post by Springy67 »

Hey All

I hit the big Five-Oh at the end of this month. I know, I know! :shock:

Anyway, I had the idea of collecting as many of the kits Airfix released in my birth year as possible. I had a look and there were some real classics (some of which (the Monkeemobile) would be harder to acquire than others (the Aston Martin DB5, 88mm gun and tractor, Dauntless, etc) which are all recent re-releases) and that led me to the idea for a group build. What do people think of a Golden Jubilee GB for kits released by Airfix in 1967? It wouldn't have to be from an original boxing.

I have a Savoia Marchetti SM79 as my entry!

Obviously, this could be repeated each year so next year would be anything from 1968.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Springy age 46 & 11.5/12
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Golden Jubilee Group Build?

Post by MarkyM607 »

Interesting, although I'm still six years from the big 5-0. It's a pity this is not next year as it would be 45 years since I arrived in 1973, more of a round number than 44!!. Still, I didn't do anything for 40 so a belated build for that of a kit or two might be an idea!!. Just have to find a 1973 catalogue.. oh wait I have one or two Airfix books, they would have kit listings in.
Sorry to ramble but just thinking out loud!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

In May this year will be the 50th annie of me moving from Chicago to N.I. ~ and also building my first Airfix kits on my own :grin:
What I'd like to build for the annie is a model of the aeroplane which transported me, if I can find one; an Airfix VC10 in BOAC markings. I had one before I flew on it, my father built it, and we had it for several years after
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Springy67

Post by Springy67 »

Just to clarify. I'm not suggesting a GB in celebration of my birthday (although . . .) :-D

I just think that the late 60s and early 70s were a golden age for Airfix and an annual GB based around kits released 50 years ago would celebrate that period. There are plenty of kits to choose from for each year and many of them are readily available.

It wouldn't even have to be restricted to 50 years. So, for this year, it could be any kit released in a year ending in a 7.

Cheers
Springy
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Doing something like this once in a while is OK, but we prohibit recurring theme GB's -- see the Guidelines, quote:
"SKGB and SSGB of the same or similar kit/subject may not start within 36 months of a previous completion; for AOGB this is 24 months."

I'll also suggest that there may be more takers if it is not limited to Airfix kits, but open to any kit 50 years old.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Springy67

Post by Springy67 »

It's arguable that this would fall within the remit for recurring theme group builds as, by definition, you wouldn't be able to build the same kit year on year. I would have thought that guideline is to avoid annual Spitfire GBs (for example).

You're right that it would extend the interest to allow any kit that's 50 years old. Maybe even make it any kitnthat was first released 50 or more years ago, any manufacturer.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”