about that Blitz thing..

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

about that Blitz thing..

Post by rob_van_riel »

I realise it's probably sacrilege to even start this discussion, but still...

The basic concept of a blitz, form completely untouched kit to finished model in 24 hours or less, is entirely clear. I get that, like that, did that, was too knackered to get the t-shirt afterwards.

However, we've stepped onto the slippery slope of allowing deviations from this absolute norm. Since the concept is now no longer absolute, we need to concern ourselves with the questions what the true spirit of a blitz is, and how we can capture that in simple rules that don't give rise to ambiguities and rules lawyering.

It's pointless to think about rules before we understand the spirit, so let's stick to that first.

My impression (but I'm relatively new here) is that a blitz should be a single sustained dash from the very start to the finish of a model, with a blow-by-blow report on the forum, and if posible with plenty of banter with the digital bystanders.

Am I getting it right so far?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: about that Blitz thing..

Post by splash »

It sounds right so far.

Remember there is a an option to do it in two 12 hour builds within 24 hours of each other. But the preferred option is with 24 hours start to finish.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

You have a handle on the spirit of the blitz as I see it.

Personally I prefer the straight 24 hour build and so design my build around that concept as to the kit selection, parts layout, instruction process or deviation thereof and finish. It is part of the fun. Only recently have I stretched the envelope as to my own abilities with more complex builds and finishes. But I will stay with the 24 hour option.

The guidelines spell everything out. One deviation that has crept in is the break time between the 12 hour shifts. As the occasional Mod, I don't know if it is worth "calling a Cop" over it. :lol: Life does get in the way. Why is it the Church Ladies always show up when I have paint in the airbrush? And they decline when I invite them inside. And after all it is supposed to be fun. The ones that fall short are not granted extensions.

A few will post their late finishes in the Blitzbau thread and maybe that should belong to the subject matter threads. A few years ago we had a gent who did 12 blitzes in one month. He then vanished off the site. I tried to understand all of that and have not succeeded.

So, interested in your viewpoints Rob.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

jssel wrote: A few years ago we had a gent who did 12 blitzes in one month. He then vanished off the site.

He's probably sitting in a rubber room wearing a very long sleeved jacket ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

The "split" has been with us since the beginning and there is no real change in rules (24 or 12-12) since then.

The rules/guidelines have gotten a bit longer as we included an explanation of what is expected/allowed, reiterated a few rulings against rules lawyering, and some hints/tips for a successful try, no more. This makes it easier for new people and prevents us for having to re-explain the wheel or fight the old fights over again.

What has changed is the lack of banter by other forum members whether they are blitzers or not.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

If I did one I think I'd have to do the 24 hour one continuous session, I think the 12-12 is a bit of a cheat!

You really have to question the commitment of modellers who let real life get in the way :lol: (only joking guys)

Zee28
fredk

Post by fredk »

jRatz wrote:What has changed is the lack of banter by other forum members whether they are blitzers or not.
Due, I think, that the number of regulars on here has dropped to about 8 or 10. So many folk have dropped away, many just recently too
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I like doing a Blitz but due to the rules, life and other things getting in the way I have decided I won't be attempting another as without taking time off work and taking all my modeling stuff and the kit to a small log cabin miles away from my children I just wont stand a chance of finishing one until I retire(I'm 27 to give you an idea how long it will be).
iggie

Post by iggie »

fredk wrote:
jRatz wrote:What has changed is the lack of banter by other forum members whether they are blitzers or not.
Due, I think, that the number of regulars on here has dropped to about 8 or 10. So many folk have dropped away, many just recently too
Agreed, and not just for blitz builds either; too many general threads are only commented on by a (relatively) tiny minority of members when compared to the number of threads started by a wider number of members......
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

To try and keep this back into where I think it is trying to head... as long as the kit is still either all on sprue or all unpainted if it has fell off sprue ... what is the problem. None in my eyes. I would not think it unreasonable for the sprue to have all been primed beforehand as long as the primer is not a key Colour in final result
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
chrism

Post by chrism »

This last blitz group build period, was the first that I had participated in. To try and identify the time spent for the time span of what I did:
I started on the Saturday circa 10am and messed about until late afternoon 4 or 5 pm (so say 7 hours max, with a few household interruptions). Then picked up again around the same time on Sunday morning, and ploughed on again until around the same time; at which point I was getting fed up with it anyhow, and on day-2 I was again bogged down with homelife issues throughout that 7-8 hour time span
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

At the end of the day taking part in a blitz is just for fun nothing more nothing less.

As an old hand at blitzing I tend to go for a challenging build, that might put others off, but it gets me out of my comfort zone and is a brilliant fix for lost mojo. But all things are equal as an experienced builder , a build that includes scratch building is as much of a challenge to me, as an inexperienced builder attempting a brand new Airfix Spitfire and hopefully gets the same support and banter as all the other builds.

I have had to miss several blitz over the last couple of years due to work commitments but that will soon change when I retire in a couple of months and get down to some serious bench time.

I personally think the current rules are fine and if someone doesn’t quite follow them who cares it’s just a bit of fun.

Regards Splash
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

When is the next Blitzbau? I know we just had one. Can you set- up another soon?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:When is the next Blitzbau? I know we just had one. Can you set- up another soon?
It’s a standard fixture on the Callander, twice a year February and August :-D
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

I guess I could do an unofficially do one? August is too far ...

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”