Team Yankee/ Sir John Hackett's Third World War Group Build?

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Team Yankee/ Sir John Hackett's Third World War Group Build?

Post by Chuck Finley »

Harold Coyle has released a revised edition of his "Team Yankee" that was originally printed in 1987. The book follows company sized armor unit during the Third World War setting from Sir John Hackett's "Third World War". Both books are highly recommended. While reading the new revised edition of Team Yankee, I thought about a group build the focused on a Third World War breaking out in August 1985. The build will be open to any armor, aircraft, or naval subjects from any of the combatant nations identified in either of Sir John Hackett's books, ( "The Third World War (1979)" and The Third World War, the unknown story (1982). For example, all NATO and Warsaw Pact nations are obviously allowed. However, Sweden becomes a defacto co-belligerent alongside NATO, when they engage Soviet aircraft overflying their airspace and later attacked. The subjects must have been in service in August 1985 and where markings from that period.

Anybody interested?
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Team Yankee/ Sir John Hackett's Third World War Group Bu

Post by Gregers »

This sounds intriguing. Will the marking have to be as in an actual service at the time or will high probability what if's be allowed? No great problem if not, just wanted clarification as it hits very close to a project I am planning. Though I have othrrs that will fit perfectly anyway.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That would be very cool. I read that book back in 1984 or something and thought even then that it would present some pretty interesting model building ideas. I have a Buccaneer in the stash that could end up part of the RAF force at Bodo, Norway, for instance.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Gregers wrote:This sounds intriguing. Will the marking have to be as in an actual service at the time or will high probability what if's be allowed? No great problem if not, just wanted clarification as it hits very close to a project I am planning. Though I have othrrs that will fit perfectly anyway.

All the best.

Greg

I would focus on markings that were in actual service at the time. For example, Lightning F.6s that were still around in 1985 would mostly be in air defense greys and possibly green and grey camo. Technically, this build is one big what if but I would focus on markings and types that were in service at that time.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:That would be very cool. I read that book back in 1984 or something and thought even then that it would present some pretty interesting model building ideas. I have a Buccaneer in the stash that could end up part of the RAF force at Bodo, Norway, for instance.
I know what you mean. I just picked up a M-728 Combat Engineer conversion for the Revell M60A3 that would fit right in with a MERDC camo. Not to mention a number of Rhinos that would also make the grade :)
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

I think I saw something like this on TV a while back. There was a documentary on it and NATO exercises in 1983, something of a major effort. Soviet spies in the west believed this was more than exercises and advised the USSR. They believed it was a build up to a pre-emptive strike on the Warsaw Pact. Luckily they didn't go further and realised what the exercises were. Less well known than that other 'nearly World War III incident in 1962' but as serious a threat.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Any chance of combining this with Tom Clancy's 'Red Storm Rising' ? I'm familiar with that book and therefore the vehicles involved but not the other books mentioned but the principle seems to be the same....

Cheeky I know :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

iggie wrote:Any chance of combining this with Tom Clancy's 'Red Storm Rising' ? I'm familiar with that book and therefore the vehicles involved but not the other books mentioned but the principle seems to be the same....

Cheeky I know :-D
For me, the key will be the dates as "The Third World War" takes place in 1985 and "Red Storm Rising" is in 1988. What intrigued me is that in the first book, the US Army is in the midst of the Reagan buildup. M1 Abrams are beginning to replace the M60s, so there will be a mix of both types. In addition, the M1A1 with the 120mm gun is still a future proposition so all M1s have the 105mm. In addition, some of the mech infantry is still riding the M113 with M901 TOW vehicles in support. Not enough M2 Bradleys to go around.

As for the other books, why not take a look at the latest edition of "Team Yankee". It offers a excellent view of armor combat at the company level during the 1980s. :grin:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YWE3YGM/re ... UTF8&psc=1;
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Don't know what I would build, but I like the sound of this one. Hackett's novels were very much a part of my adolescence.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I'd also be up for this one if anyone else still is?
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Maverick231 wrote:I'd also be up for this one if anyone else still is?
I am still willing to lead it if there are enough takers.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”