Figure GB *** Complete and Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

pmmaker
Active Participant

Re: Figure GB *** on 2018 draft calendar ***

Post by pmmaker »

I still haven't gotten anything to do here, but I've narrowed things down a bit.

I'm not going to get into painting figures as a side hobby - trust me, I already have plenty to distract me in my "spare" time. So for this group build, whatever I do has to "augment" my other interests. I'd go WWII figures, but the scales I'd have to consider (1/48, 1/32) don't correspond to any of my WWII aircraft builds as I'm pretty much a 72nd scale builder. I don't build armor either so I've settled on my next area of interest - WWI.

I have a sizeable 48th scale WWI collection of built kits and die-casts so I'm going to find some 48th scale figures of pilots and ground crew. There are a few sets available on eBay, but I want to visit my local brick-and-mortar stores first. Once I find something I like, I'll update what I plan on doing.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

pmmaker wrote:I have a sizeable 48th scale WWI collection of built kits and die-casts so I'm going to find some 48th scale figures of pilots and ground crew. There are a few sets available on eBay, but I want to visit my local brick-and-mortar stores first. Once I find something I like, I'll update what I plan on doing.
Some possible options:
http://www.copperstatemodels.com/main/productsCS/6/3;
https://www.cmkkits.com/en/figures/inde ... 5&fMaker=0;
https://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Pla ... f5990a6b45;

There's probably a lot more out there though, so, good hunting ;-)
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Thanks for the suggestions Rob. I went the eBay route and purchased this set of resin figures:

Czech Masters Kit CMK 1/48 German Pilot/Officer

I may add a few more if I find them for a price point I'm willing to pay and if they fall in my area of interest. I plan to visit my local hobby shop to see what they have in stock.

But at least I'll be ready for the group build once these are delivered.

pmmaker
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
planecrazyman61

Post by planecrazyman61 »

hi i'd like to take part in this GB with some 1/35 WW2 russian figures which are to go with a Zis-3 field gun( gun will probably be built at a later date)
thanks craig
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

planecrazyman61 wrote:hi i'd like to take part in this GB with some 1/35 WW2 russian figures which are to go with a Zis-3 field gun( gun will probably be built at a later date)
Wecome, the more the merrier ;-)
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I acquired another resin figure to go with my WWI based project:

Should be an interesting endeavor for me as I augment my WWI kits with figures.

pmmaker
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

pmmaker wrote:Should be an interesting endeavor for me as I augment my WWI kits with figures.
Fair warning about that: I have on a few occasions found that when you add figures to a display, they tend to take over. Suddenly it isn't about the aircraft anymore, but about those two guys having a chat next to the airplane. Never mind that the plane takes op 95% of the display, and that the figures may not be that great, the figures tend to dominate. People are just more drawn to people than to machines..
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Just a quick reminder guys: Four weeks to go until this kicks off, and three weeks before most of the world shuts down for a bout of Christmas. If you haven't found a subject/victim yet, this might be a good time to go shopping or to drop some hints to the various Santas :-D
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

rob_van_riel wrote:
pmmaker wrote:Should be an interesting endeavor for me as I augment my WWI kits with figures.
Fair warning about that: I have on a few occasions found that when you add figures to a display, they tend to take over. Suddenly it isn't about the aircraft anymore, but about those two guys having a chat next to the airplane. Never mind that the plane takes op 95% of the display, and that the figures may not be that great, the figures tend to dominate. People are just more drawn to people than to machines..
I know what you mean. Even the most detailed tank model is just enhanced by the figures that are added. I will paint these three figures and display them with some of my WWI planes. I take the risk that the figures will overshadow the planes. It's a win-win either way.

pmmaker
iggie

Post by iggie »

All personnel present and correct here!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

My two candidates are identified and pulled from the stash, and placed .... somewhere :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Your GB Forum is open here.

Enjoy !!!
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel

Re: Figure GB *** GB Forum is open ***

Post by rob_van_riel »

Right folks, John has found us a nice quiet spot to invade, so if you'll all just step over here, we can get down to the business of staking our claims, revealing out plans, and all the usual stuff that happens just before kick-off. Since this GB is, by design, somewhat uncharted territory for some, that includes screaming for help, should your intended victim show signs of putting up a serious fight even at this stage :twisted:

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”