Figure GB *** Complete and Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Figure GB?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I'm good with January ....
Heading to the downstairs stash to start looking ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

Beside myself, four out of nine people who have responded so far have indicated Januari will work for them. Unless someone raises an objection before Monday, I'm calling that final.

Gregers, Fredk, Marky, Ratch, tell us what you think please.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I shall have to see what I'm doing in January, 9 weeks is a long time in modelling...
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I'm keen - GB track record notwithstanding - and January would work as will...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

SJPONeill wrote:I'm keen - GB track record notwithstanding - and January would work as will...
The more the merrier. You'll probably get to kick off the 2018 GB season too, given that Januari arrives at your bench hours before any of the others; should look good on your record :-D
fredk

Post by fredk »

I'll fall in when it starts, if someone reminds me; as someone else says, 9 weeks is a long time in modelling
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

fredk wrote:I'll fall in when it starts, if someone reminds me; as someone else says, 9 weeks is a long time in modelling
Don't worry, I feel I would be remiss in my duties as slave driver GBL if I didn't remind you :twisted:

I am a bit envious though; to me, a few months goes by in a blink modelling wise. Maybe I'm not getting enough bench time per week :cry:
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

January's fine with me. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

rob_van_riel wrote:
SJPONeill wrote:I'm keen - GB track record notwithstanding - and January would work as will...
The more the merrier. You'll probably get to kick off the 2018 GB season too, given that Januari arrives at your bench hours before any of the others; should look good on your record :-D
I'm always there at kick-off (even a bit early as you note); it's whether I make it to last call is my worry... :)
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

If it is okay, I'd like to give it a go. I've never done "figures" before so I'd like some guidance as to what I should go out and buy - subject? size? medium?.

January works for me. I only tinker in my workshop a couple hours a week but I'm sure I could paint something up.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

pmmaker wrote:If it is okay, I'd like to give it a go. I've never done "figures" before so I'd like some guidance as to what I should go out and buy - subject? size? medium?.
In addition to the usual "having some fun building models", the purpose of this GB is to serve as an introduction to figures, so of course you're most welcome.

My advice would be, above all else, to pick a subject that somehow appeals to you. Unless you are an very diligent student, working on a subject you couldn't care less about won't be any fun. Since I'm not a mind reader, this is the one area where I can't be of any help at all. What I can say though, is don't be afraid to pick a less than conventional subject; it's fairly hard to come up with an idea that isn't covered by some manufacturer. Of course, the further into the fringe you go, the less leeway you'll have with the other parameters, but I'd worry about that later.

As for size, I would suggest 1/35 or larger. At the smaller sizes, it becomes increasingly difficult to make expressive, detailed figures.

For obvious reasons, I would suggest sticking with a medium you know, if available for your chosen subject. At a guess, that would mean, in descending order of desirability, polystyrene, resin, metal, vinyl. I'd consider this very much secondary to choice of subject.

So, for the most important question: what (or who) would you like to build?
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Thanks for the reply. I'll find something that interests me. I promise it won't be anything SS related and no, it won't have exposed female parts.

I tend to like medieval subjects so I'm going to start looking for something to do with knights and the Crusades.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

pmmaker wrote:I promise it won't be anything SS related and no, it won't have exposed female parts.
Don't worry, I think we can all handle those in moderation ;-)
I tend to like medieval subjects so I'm going to start looking for something to do with knights and the Crusades.
Andrea has quite the line up of those, and in general, I've found their products to be high quality. The only drawback is that they're metal, which can be demanding to work with.

http://www.andreaeurope.com/en/1/andrea ... ights.html;

I'll dig around my various bookmarks and such later to see if I can find anything good in polystyrene or resin.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Everyone seems happy with starting on 1-1, and the theme seems sufficiently clear, so I've asked John to put it on the calendar for 1-1-2018 until 11-2-2018. Let's start next year off with a good one :-D
fredk

Post by fredk »

pmmaker wrote:I tend to like medieval subjects so I'm going to start looking for something to do with knights and the Crusades.
As Rob says; 1/35 or bigger is better.
Not a lot for the Crusades in big sizes. Anything I can think of is either the polythene figures from the likes of Italeri, or white metal kits from such as Andrea, resin kits come and go.
Emhar makes Viking and Saxon figures in K-resin in 1/32
For general medievalness, again polythene or K-resin moulded figures or Andrea white metal in 54mm or 1/32.

Then there are the old Imai kits of 15th/16th century armoured knights - Aurora boxed a version of the same knights, 1/12 scale afair. Miniart does figures which are 1/16 [afair] of 15th c knights - English knight, Burgundian, French, they also do a couple of Roman Legionaires
For greater expense are the old Airfix 1/12 figures; Richard 1st, Black Prince, Joan of Arc, Julius Caesar. These fetch really large sums of money - if you can find one to buy
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”