Armistice Day 11.11.18 Memorial *** Complete & Archived ***

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Armistice Day 11.11.18 Memorial *** Complete & Archived ***

Post by iggie »

Just throwing this out there for discussion/ thoughts; any kit, any subject but incorporating a poppy in remembrance of the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.
It could be the RAF Tucanno in the poppy scheme, or a whif or a diorama.....
I just have a feeling that we spend a lot of time modelling subjects that are or have been used in war, and that we should mark this momentous anniversary in some special way.

Or it might just be a bad idea......
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Armistice Day 11.11.18 Memorial GB

Post by Gregers »

It's a beautiful idea. I am most certainly in.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

It's a great idea iggie. I just wouldn't know what to build. I'll hold back until I get more ideas that will hopefully spark my inspiration. At this point, count me as a definite maybe. ;-)

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

I agree. It's a great idea but I'm not sure there are that many subjects that include a poppy. Perhaps the idea could be modified?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Dazzled wrote:I agree. It's a great idea but I'm not sure there are that many subjects that include a poppy. Perhaps the idea could be modified?
I agree that there are not a great many subjects that include poppies as a given..... that's why I've suggested whifs and dioramas and the like to allow then to be incorporated regardless of real life. It could be a group of figures at a remembrance ceremony standing around a war memorial, or even a poppy seller as a stand alone figure. My own idea is to build a wrecked Mk.IV tank surrounded by mud and debris with poppies beginning to grow and flower around it. I've never tackled anything like this before but for me the effort will be worth it
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Going on Dazzled's post, could we do a current aircraft (prob RAF), but is a what-if poppy scheme such as the Tucano??.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

MarkyM607 wrote:Going on Dazzled's post, could we do a current aircraft (prob RAF), but is a what-if poppy scheme such as the Tucano??.
Yep, I don't see why not! The important part of this as a GB (to me anyway) is the remembrance aspect, hence the poppy; how people want to get the poppy into the build/whif/diorama is entirely up to them ;-)
Best wishes

Jim
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

I don't have anything definite in mind at the moment but I'm sure something might come to me between now and the GB. (I'm guessing that it would be timed to finish just before next Armistice Day?)
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
iggie

Post by iggie »

Purplethistle wrote:I don't have anything definite in mind at the moment but I'm sure something might come to me between now and the GB. (I'm guessing that it would be timed to finish just before next Armistice Day?)
I had in mind a six to eight week build time to finish on Armistice Day itself 2018
Best wishes

Jim
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Sounds interesting, must give this some thought as to what I could do for it.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
fredk

Post by fredk »

I'm not very clever right now.
I do have a Tucano and the poppies scheme for it to do some time so I may just stay with that if I join in
Is that okay?
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

It's a good idea, might draw out some creative work, much as did the CD GB and others. Plenty of time to think on a project.

When planning this, take into account that SMW is in that period, the longer 8 week proposal might give SIG members some leeway.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

jRatz wrote:It's a good idea, might draw out some creative work, much as did the CD GB and others. Plenty of time to think on a project.

When planning this, take into account that SMW is in that period, the longer 8 week proposal might give SIG members some leeway.
That's what I was hoping for John; the CD GB resulted in some great builds and portrayals and I would expect the same in this proposed GB.
I understand about SMW and some members needing time for other builds; however, the two SIGs hosted on UAMF are both eminently suited to having at least one 'poppy' build on their tables for SMW given that it will be at the same time of year as Remembrance Sunday
fredk wrote:I'm not very clever right now.
I do have a Tucano and the poppies scheme for it to do some time so I may just stay with that if I join in
Is that okay?
Of course it would be ok Fred! As the saying goes, you can never have too many.... it's the thought that counts, and that I think is especially true and perhaps the whole point of my proposal!
Best wishes

Jim
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have my idea, I just have no clue how to do it ... Plenty of time, right ?
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Thats what I usually say
And end up building it in the final 24 hours!
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”