Tamiya (Manufacturer) kits Group Build

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Tamiya (Manufacturer) kits Group Build

Post by chrism »

We had a successful group build back in 2017 for Matchbox kits, and I would like to suggest and get a gauge for what interest there would be among members for a similar type of group build for good old Tamiya kits.

It could be open to literally any kit that Tamiya have produced ever, but to try and be in-keeping with the Matchbox build previously, I would like to suggest initially that we limit it to any Tamiya kit that was initially introduced prior to 1990, based on the copyright information embossed on the plastic and information held by Scalemates.

Timeframe for this? starting mid-to-late January 2019 and ending early part of March 2019. Thus the duration of the GB would be a minimum of 6 weeks

Sounding this out now, so that those who have a "favourite" old tamiya kit that they fancy re-visiting, from their youth, could have plenty of time to track it down.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Dazzled

Re: Tamiya (Manufacturer) kits Group Build

Post by Dazzled »

I'm in but I'd prefer any Tamiya kit regardless of age. They made some stunners after 1990 including some really nice motorcycles.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I have donated a lot of my Tamiya kits about 3-6 years ago and have no intention to bring them back, much as I miss them.
I now have exactly 1 Tamiya aircraft (it is post-1990), and about 8 military kits split evenly pre/post-1990..

The pre-1990 criteria may be a bit limiting -- how about 25 years in 2019 = 1994 ?

Just to clarify, I gather "initially produced" means:
-- the "new-tool" pre-1990 (Universal Carrier) would be eligible as would any variant "changed parts" post-1990.
-- the "new-tool" pre-1990 (Matilda) would be eligible, but the post-1990 "new-tool" would not be.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Most of the Tamiya 1/48th aircraft range is post 1990. The Skyraider for instance is a 1998 moulding while the F4U Corsair is 1996. I might be struggling to find anything pre 94 in my stash.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
iggie

Post by iggie »

I'm interested but a few of my Tamiya kits are re-boxed italeri toolings; I assume that they wound not be eligible?
I have a few 1/350 ships though :-D A six week build at leafy least would be useful if I go that route :grin:

Edited for stupid predictive text on phone.... :evil:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

I will leave this and just see what the comments and consensus of those who do at least reply are. I will purposely not reply to any comments specifically yet, but I am thinking round what is getting thown up.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
59North

Post by 59North »

Just out of curiosity, I took a wade through my stash. There are 26 Tamiya kits, both aircraft and armor, and all in the larger scales that I don't build anymore. All of the kits are post 1990.
The closest I can get to pre-90 is the M4A3 105 Howitzer, which is an 80's Sherman with new parts post 1990.
Frankly, I don't remember if Tamiya kits were around in my youth. I think not; but, that was a long time ago.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Dazzled wrote:Most of the Tamiya 1/48th aircraft range is post 1990. The Skyraider for instance is a 1998 moulding while the F4U Corsair is 1996. I might be struggling to find anything pre 94 in my stash.
My sole aircraft would sneak in at 1994.

I noted that I had given away most of mine - case in point, the 1/48 Swordfish. I built one, loved it, had several more in stash that never seemed to surface - then Airfix came out with their new-tool and I kinda decided why keep the Tamiya big ones when I could get more Airfix small ones, of comparable quality, onto the shelf.

The other case is the Matilda. I had and built the original (1976 I think) kit, and liked it, and had a couple in stash, but then the new(er)-tool came out the older one disappeared, nostalgia wasn't that important.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

The only Tamiya kit I have in the stash is the 262 - I'm not sure of the age of the kit though..
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Stuart wrote:The only Tamiya kit I have in the stash is the 262 - I'm not sure of the age of the kit though..
2002 according to Scalemates.

Until 1994 Tamiya produced relatively few aircraft models. They had a series of 1/100th scale militafy aircraft in the seventies, a couple of odd 1/50th scale offerings and some sporadic but good quality 1/48th scale kits. I'm not sure why they went deeper into aircraft in the mid 90s but they've expanded their range considerably since. The Fiessler Storch was number 100 in 2007.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”