Proposal for a Seasonal/Snowy GB - any subject

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Proposal for a Seasonal/Snowy GB - any subject

Post by beany »

I was just looking on Facebook and saw a modelling related e-card of a Spitfire in the snow. I have a similar scene on an actual card someone sent me a few years ago of a Lancaster standing with a fair coating of snow, which I always intended to model, so would anyone else be interested in a seasonal, snowy scene. Probably too late for this year so I'd be thinking December into the new year for next year now.

This could be anything standing in the snow (or even in flood water?!), so as well as aircraft it could be a single figure or groups of figure, a car, a train, a ship on the high seas in a seasonal storm, an animal/dinosaur etc. etc. The possibilities are endless aren't they?

I already have a bottle of snow and a visit to any (railway) modelling store/website should get you something similar, or maybe someone knows a good homemade alternative?

Even though I literally only just thought of it as I typed it just now , I have now intrigued myself by the thought of something in a flood scene, - some 00/H0 cars (or 1/43 or even 1/25 etc.) with some buildings in a flooded street scene - we see enough of those type of images on the news here in the UK around this time of year.

What do you all think?
Cheers
Al.

Edit.
I've just found the card that inspired me...

2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Proposal for a Seasonal/Snowy GB - any subject

Post by iggie »

Sounds interesting; I'd be up for this!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Post by 59North »

Good idea! Might be a great way to pick up on a few good weathering technique from those in the know. I've always wanted to try something in a winter landscape.
fredk

Post by fredk »

Anyone for doing the Vulcan when it became a tail-sitter due to the snow a few years ago?

I did this one last year;
Some day I'll add figures to it

Dunno if I could think of another subject to do
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

fredk wrote:Anyone for doing the Vulcan when it became a tail-sitter due to the snow a few years ago?

I did this one last year;
Some day I'll add figures to it

Dunno if I could think of another subject to do
That's an interesting idea. I have two idea's now. One is the Vulcan Fred suggested (unless he's claiming it then I'll back away!! :lol: :lol: ), and a B-24 crashed on return to base after a mission. The painting that inspired it was called 'Down Safe'. Will have to hunt for it but seems like there's enough time!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk

Post by fredk »

I'd only do the Vulcan if I can get a 1/600 size model; I haven't room for a bigger one
So its all yours if ya want it
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I have a few ideas.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That does sound like a very cool idea for a Group Build indeed.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

For ideas, I've just typed "fighter aircraft in the snow", and "steam trains in the snow" and there are some nice little dioramas waiting to happen.

I was gifted a complete Lancaster recently (thanks chrism) so may use this as practice. Start with a "concrete" or grass covered baseboard, then stand the Lanc on it then spray white primer or Appliance White from on high directly over the plane to get an idea of where the snow would settle.
Then apply PVA to these areas and sprinkle the snow material from on high. Allow to dry and then repeat to build up thicker areas (as suggested by reference photos of various snow bound aircraft on Google etc.). This should also leave a non-snowing outline under the aircraft - assuming there has been no snow drifting in your scene!

As a bonus - fogged up canopies will be permitted - and probably expected from the frosty photos I've seen!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
iggie

Post by iggie »

Good advice Al 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”