Swordfish, Anyone?

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Swordfish, Anyone?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

PaulBradley wrote:I'll do a Taranto machine, if I can find some good references - serial/code tie-ups for example.
For starters ....

This is from Ray Strutivant's "The Swordfish Story". I'll bet an Osprey book has more ....

I will look further in my stuff if you want -- I have lots of Stringbag refs.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PaulBradley wrote:John, I think you should build it how you wish. :grin: As Bruce says, its the markings that count. Did you have a particular machine in mind?

Markings will be an issue, for all of us I suppose, but I plan on cobbling together a set from my spares box.
It will be pre-war; I have some decal options but not for float planes unless I get creative.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Brews wrote:I'll put my dibs on K 5972, a machine operated by the CO of 832 Squadron, on HMS Glorious in 1936, which had black upper fuselage and cowling (behind exhaust collector ring) and black/grey semi-striped fin, and a yellow sash on the fuselage with a black "804", over aluminium dope elsewhere. I don't think it did anything special other than look quite smart.
Re "over aluminium dope elsewhere" -- except cerrux grey on the metal .... at least that's what all my sources say ...
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Oooh, thanks for that list, John - a big help. :-D If you have any more detail, it would help widen the choice a little. Pity no-one thought to take photos....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PaulBradley wrote:Oooh, thanks for that list, John - a big help. :-D If you have any more detail, it would help widen the choice a little. Pity no-one thought to take photos....
You mean where the Observer taps the pilot and says "I say, old boy, could you hold steady a moment? The modelers of the future will be very annoyed if I don't get some photos... After that I'll radio Nigel to lift his wing a bit so we can get the markings ..."
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

:ha: :ha:
Paul

bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

jRatz wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:Oooh, thanks for that list, John - a big help. :-D If you have any more detail, it would help widen the choice a little. Pity no-one thought to take photos....
You mean where the Observer taps the pilot and says "I say, old boy, could you hold steady a moment? The modelers of the future will be very annoyed if I don't get some photos... After that I'll radio Nigel to lift his wing a bit so we can get the markings ..."
Well, you say that but, as far as the reconnaissance for the Taranto attack was concerned this is close to what happened. Adrian Warburton made several very low flights over the harbour for photography, but then the cameras failed so so he went back so low that his observer could read the ships names on the bows. I think I remember reading that even before the cameras failed some Italian sailors can be seen waving at the recce Martland thinking it must have been one of their own planes! I suspect if Warburton had been involved in the actual attack, a detailed photo session would have been on record - provided the cameras worked of course...
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

It also occurs to me that photographic records might have been destroyed when Illustrious was bombed a couple of months later. I guess I'll give Nigel a break.... :razz:
Paul

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PaulBradley wrote:It also occurs to me that photographic records might have been destroyed when Illustrious was bombed a couple of months later. I guess I'll give Nigel a break.... :razz:
Getting back to the GB, what info on Taranto are you looking for Paul ? Pix/profile of any aircraft participating, a specific one ? I can do some looking in my refs ...
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by carlos »

Might be some info in Jock Moffat's 'I Sank the Bismarck'
It's a while since I read it - but he does talk a fair bit about the Taranto raid.

Not sure if I'll be ready to participate in this GB - butat some point I do want to build a Bismarck raid Swordfish (probably Moffat's) to go in the display with my 200th scale Bismarck when I get it finished. (Also want an Ar-196)
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
Tommy
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Tommy »

Ok, It looks like no one chose to do one from Oran "Operation Catapult", so I am in with one from that - 818 NAS FAA - Aircraft "5G" L7678.

I have kits from Matchbox, FROG, and Airfix. I chose one from among those.

Tommy

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”