Barbarossa

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

BWP
Got in under the wire

Re: Barbarossa

Post by BWP »

You forgot the T-34, which can, in its 76mm version, be made to look like a 1941 vehicle -- with a bit of work. Mind you, to make the Airfix T-34 look like anything historical takes a bit of work ....
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

BWP wrote:You forgot the T-34, which can, in its 76mm version, be made to look like a 1941 vehicle -- with a bit of work. Mind you, to make the Airfix T-34 look like anything historical takes a bit of work ....
You do some amazing things with your armor so I have no doubt you could pull it off if this was to happen.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Heh. Thanks for the compliment -- and in this case I don't think it would be a job beyond anyone's skills. The needed fixes are extensive, but more tedious than complicated. However, personally, I wouldn't want to do it ... IMO the only thing the Airfix T-34 is good for is spare parts (not necessarily for other T-34s; just, you know ... spare parts). There's more wrong with it than right; and the simply dreadful tracks make it even harder to build OOB than the Defiant! (Mind you, that can be said about a lot of Airfix's armour kits. It's just that most of the rest of them have other redeeming qualities.)

This is sort of a doppelganger comment to a thread active right now on ATF.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

So any more interest in this GB possibility? I guess with Chris gone it would need another leader.
Desert_fox
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Desert_fox »

I actually don't mind what is eventually plumped for - as long as I get to build be some Wehrmacht armour, I'm all good! I quite like the idea of the Operation Typhoon one though in actual fact, and would definately support it. I know there are a lot of people on here who build models for Telford and it would be good to give them some breathing space.
Will write history dissertations for modelling supplies...
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Good idea Bruce. I have enough armor models to cover either time span.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

Brews wrote:You know, Operation Barbarossa and Kursk have been done to death in GBs. What about an Operation Typhoon GB - the Russian counterattack? Similar equipment, winter conditions, and can start later in the year (after Telford).
"Typhoon" was not the Russian counterattack, it was the German drive on Moscow late in 1941. Technically the Russians didn't counterattack in their winter offensive until late 1941, or the beginning of 1942, long after Typhoon had ended.

The difference in equipment between "Barbarossa" and "Typhoon", on either side, would be approximately zero. And Typhoon was pre-winter (just), so we're not talking any winter camouflage.

A focus on "Typhoon" would also leave out the majority of Germany's allies, as they were not involved in that operation, to the best of my knowledge.

Either way, I'm up for it.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
My Model Profile

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”