What is the point of a "Group Build"?

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

MerlinJones

What is the point of a "Group Build"?

Post by MerlinJones »

I ask this question simply because we have a new influx of members and associated enthusiams and it's useful to know what people think about (modelling forum) stuff.

Bear in mind that, right now, many Forum mermbers are busy building kits and posting their progress up in the Forum, quite happily, without the aid of a Group Build.

So...in your own words :mrgreen: ...just what is the point of a "Group Build"?

Best Regards,
Bruce
Chris

Re: What is the point of a "Group Build"?

Post by Chris »

As the number one 'new member' making the sugestions, to me it is to build models based on a theme that gets everyone fired up.

building the same kit is ok, but can be limited, but building along a theme brings added interest to the hobby. It captures the idea of a slice of history instead of just building some kit.

For example the Rhubarb build hasn't yet started, yet everyone in it is already reseaching and posting info on their selected kits and historical info on the real thing, which normally nobody bothers with as they just make the kit and take photos of it. But already the guys are seeing in their minds what the RAF mission was meant to be, what they hoped to do and how they carried it out and suffered while doing so, as the pilot of my Spit gave his life to beat the nazis.

The danger is people who want to place too many 'rules' on such endeavors.

moddeling is a creative endeavor, we are all artists after a fashion and the worst thing you can do to the creative is to stiffle them with piddling rules, such as you HAVE to make this kit or paint it that way. I already have a mother I don't need a new version spoiling what should be a gas. Rules are all well and good when needed, but the heavy hand of big brother leaves everyone cold and slightly annoyed as its un-needed. Who cares if so and so plane or tank missed the theme by a few months? So what, the world will end? HAVE FUN is the goal, not to compete in an accuracy contest.

The other attraction depends on who's running things and how they feel about it. I have taken part in builds on other sites, and they mostly left me cold, on one i built the kit and didn't recieve a single comment about it, on the other they were more attentive but there was little fun factor.

That's how i see it, I would join more builds if i saw more excitment by those proposing them.

At least i know i will be high octane from the get go! :grin:
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

for me its the camaraderie.....every one coming together with a 'common goal' but i agree about the fun factor.......thats what it all comes down to in the end......done loads of gb's here and there and loved them all..........about to start my first single kit mini gb *pokes arni :mrgreen: * which im really looking forward to cos to see several people building the identical kit will be interesting to see how each person does little things differently

bottom line is that an interesting GB with plenty of participation is good as it brings a forum together
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I don’t think there’s such a thing as “a” Group Build... there are different kinds of GBs with different rationales, and they all have their place:
1) The Single Kit GB, where the interest is in seeing how other people tackle the same issues and problems you are working with, and how different people’s “styes” lead to different looking but equally “good” results.
2) The “Themed” GB, where the shared element is in the research and growing collective knowledge of that Theme (eg Rhubarbs), but there’s less commonality between the kits (that “theme" could be a technical one, eg VacForm, which may provide useful knowledge and encouragement to people who might not tackle that technique on their own, or a “genre” theme (eg Figures) which may once again encourage folk out of their comfort zone.
3) The Blitzbau! Not a conventional GB, but certainly achieves that KUTA effect and gets people collectively engaged with modelling as an activity, with plenty of cheering from the sidelines to encourage everyone’s activity

So, I’d say the consistent theme is something that makes modelling a shared, rather than solitary activity. How a GB does that, or what works for individuals, will vary between those individuals. I, for example, have relatively little enthusiasm for Single Kit GBs - I’ve got enough kits on my to-do list without adding something else that I wouldn’t normally build just for the sake of joining a GB. That’s partly a result of me being a grumpy selfish fellah, and partly that my “normal” building genres of the moment (1/48 and larger aircraft, cars, and figures) are highly unlikely to come up in a Single Kit GB...

bestest,
M.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I love group builds. All kinds of them.

Single kit group builds are wonderful because there is a sense of learning how other modelers overcome the same issues as you. Especially as I go way out on a limb sometimes when I build.

Theme related GB's are wonderful because when completed, the gallery displays a wide selection of related subjects. The more varied the builds the better the relationship of the subjects.

Blitzbau's are just plain wonderful. Sometimes I feel like just doing one unannouced because they are just fun and the way model building used to be. Home from the shop and "on ops" before dinner. Repaired by bed.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

As usual I seem to be late to the party. No one has really said anything I disagree with so I won't waste everyones time by refrasing what everyone has already stated. On a completly Personal note I like the concept of the Group build because when I get involved I'm no longer building alone in my basement. I'm now building with 6 or 8 other people. There is the sense of camaraderie and the sharing of information. It makes the hobby a lot less solitary
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

jssel wrote:I love group builds. All kinds of them.

Single kit group builds are wonderful because there is a sense of learning how other modelers overcome the same issues as you. Especially as I go way out on a limb sometimes when I build.

Theme related GB's are wonderful because when completed, the gallery displays a wide selection of related subjects. The more varied the builds the better the relationship of the subjects.

Blitzbau's are just plain wonderful. Sometimes I feel like just doing one unannouced because they are just fun and the way model building used to be. Home from the shop and "on ops" before dinner. Repaired by bed.

Well said, ditto ....
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

MerlinJones wrote:So...in your own words :mrgreen: ...just what is the point of a "Group Build"?
I'm new to the "Group Build" concept. I've only done one in the past and currently in another, although I've put my name down as being interested in a couple more.

For me the attraction is either (a) to motivate me to build something hanging around in my stash for no good reason, or (b) encourage me to build something that ordinarily wouldn't get into my stash in the first place.

The benefits of (a) should be obvious to most of us, I think. The benefit of (b) is that it diversifies my interests, and helps to prevent me from being a one-trick pony.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Those are some great replies guys. My last few GB experiences have not been altogether positive, so I stopped participating, but when seen in such a positive light, it makes me want to give it another go.

Hopefully this Vietnam build will get a green light.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

For me they are usually a reason to take something out of the stash and try to finish it...just because I always start and never finish (hence the Ruddy Well Finish ongoing GB!!!)...I still think they are a good idea and eventually I will be there at the finish...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Softscience wrote:Those are some great replies guys. My last few GB experiences have not been altogether positive, so I stopped participating, but when seen in such a positive light, it makes me want to give it another go.

If I may, what wasn't positive about them?
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:
Softscience wrote:Those are some great replies guys. My last few GB experiences have not been altogether positive, so I stopped participating, but when seen in such a positive light, it makes me want to give it another go.

Well, I don't want to name names in public, but there is a forum whose name rhymes with hay yard seed, and they have an Airfix GB running. I tried to participate for some time now, but throughout my builds Its felt as if though I've been working on my own. Participation is almost non-existent, builders have not been posting much outside of their own threads and the mods are nowhere to be seen. The same site had a Matchbox GB which was brilliant, but that atmosphere is not there at all this time.

Same deal on another forum where I'm in a Soviet planes build, where there is also very little feedback and interaction amongst the builders.

Finally, I hosted an armor build here which just drained me. That was nobody's fault. I just was stretching myelf too thin
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Will I have to agree with you on the hay yard seed site. It has virtually no interaction between its members.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel
Chris

Post by Chris »

Softscience wrote:
Dirkpitt289 wrote:

Well, I don't want to name names in public, but there is a forum whose name rhymes with hay yard seed, and they had an Airfix GB. And throughout the build I've felt as if though I've been working on my own. Participation is almost non-existent, and the mods are nowhere to be seen.

Same deal on another forum where I'm in a Soviet planes build, where there is also very little feedback and interaction amongst the builders.

Finally, I hosted an armor build here which just drained me. That was nobody's fault. I just was stretching myelf too thin
I know how you feel, it sucks when nobody cares.

I'm running my fiorst one here, hopefully the guys will have fun, so far we seem on the right track! :grin:
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Chris wrote:
I know how you feel, it sucks when nobody cares.[/quote]

I'm running my fiorst one here, hopefully the guys will have fun, so far we seem on the right track! :grin:

I hope so too but everyone is jacked up at the beginning of any given group build. The trick is to keep it going through out the life of the build.
.... Dirk

My Youtube Channel

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”