Future GB Poll #1 - media other than injection mold styrene

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Would you like to participate in a

Poll ended at June 27th, 2011, 2:24 am

Resin GB
40%
Vac-Form GB
30%
Paper GB
20%
Metal GB
10%
Other (non- inject stryene)
No votes

Total votes: 20

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Future GB Poll #1 - media other than injection mold styrene

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I am trying to set up a long-range GB program, starting in 2012, but that's not to say an idea might start sooner if there is high interest. This is one of several polls/queries I will put up and we'll chat about them to see what comes up. As always, if you respond to a poll, please provide a post to discuss your choice and reasons therefore. Comments that indicate what you would like to get out of the GB are most welcome as that helps me in the next stage of proposals. I want to stress that we are not signing up for a pending build, rather surveying for what might be of interest. The poll will remain for 14 days and you may select as many options as interest you.

A couple years ago, in response to several comments about resin kits, we held a resin GB -- it was designed to be a tutorial and I think it was fairly successful. Here's the link: http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewforum.php?f=146;

I have seen across the forum those same comments again -- indicating people are uncomfortable with resin kits or maybe even major conversions, so I'm wondering if there is any interest in doing another resin GB. It would run 60 days, involve a whole kit or one with significant resion components, maybe even a conversion kit.

At the same time, I'm asking about vac-form kits, paper models, any other non- injection molded styrene kits. I realize this takes us out of the CBK realm, but it could be a useful next step in your modeling.
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Future GB Poll #1 - media other than injection mold styr

Post by AndrewR »

I've done a few paper and cardboard buildings as acenery for Graham's train layout, and it's fun.

Cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

I can barley do injected plastic let alone something like resin or vacuform. I'll be watching this from the sidelines.
.... Dirk

Beware of the DOG's of WAR

My Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGu ... rid&view=0
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I voted for resin and/or paper...not sure I could do a vac in the time allocated for a GB...if anyone is interested in maybe having a crack at a paper model, there are alot of good one available for download at PaperModelershttp://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php although you will need to register and make on post on the forum in order to be able to down any models...complexity ranges from simple to ginormously complex...

Same deal also at Kartonbau.de, you will have to register in order to download from the library here...http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/board.php?boardid=234 of possible interest maybe the Bristol T.188 uploaded for download last week...surely a Classic British jet...? Like PM, models at Kartonbau range from simple to hair-pullingly complex...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

I'd go resin, as I have resin in The Stash.

Regards,
Bruce
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

Dirkpitt289 wrote:I can barely do injected plastic let alone something like resin or vacuform. I'll be watching this from the sidelines.
ditto.............fraid this is a little too far outside my comfort zone, but would be fun to watch, id like to see someone do vacform stuff
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I went for vacform (finally, I might build that Welsh Model Embraer 145 in my stash) and metal, on the basis that the only 1/24 kit there is of a C-Type Jag is a K&R white metal one, and after my experience with the XJ-13, it would be not at all bad...

bestest,
M.
bluesteel
Parties like it's 1977

Post by bluesteel »

I've gone for vacform too. There are a few relatively simple techniques that can take the fear out of vacform building (as I know some people have, as indeed I used to have) which makes vacform building almost as easy as injection.

Now that there's a lot of Resin around, vacforms can be picked up relatively inexpensively (apart from a few of the rarities) and, if the vacform plastic is good and crisp, can be made into very acceptable models. Companies such as Sangar still produce vacforms, and together with the original Contrail/Sutcliffe vacforms can be considered CBKs.
Bluesteel

You can never have too many Meteors/Chipmunks/Gazelles/Jet Provosts/EE Lightnings/Hunters/Harriers/Tiger Moths!

------------------------------------------------------
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

jRatz wrote: ...I realize this takes us out of the CBK realm, but it could be a useful next step in your modeling.
Oh no it doesn't! ;-)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

MerlinJones wrote:
jRatz wrote: ...I realize this takes us out of the CBK realm, but it could be a useful next step in your modeling.
Oh no it doesn't! ;-)

I should have said "traditional CBK" realm ....

Anyway, for those worried about a comfort zone, that is the purpose of these GB -- to allow you to take a shot, with help. There is plenty of help available to select an appropriate project.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I went for Resin & Vac-form as they are two areas that I have shied away from in the past. I always bottle out and flog them on the bay!
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
BWP
Got in under the wire

Post by BWP »

I voted for resin, I have some in the stash (of course I use resin replacement wheels and the like all the time, but I also have some major conversion items and even entire kits).

I wouldn't mind having a go at a vacform, but I'd have to have one in the stash to have a go at. I only have a vague idea of what's out there.

When I was but a teenager and feeling astoundingly ambitious after reading some magazine articles I bought myself a Soviet Hind helicopter as a vacform kit ... can't recall who the manufacturer was. I never actually did anything with it though and after I lost interest in models it got pushed to the back of my cupboard and was presumably lost in the great parental throw-out-all-your-son's-old-stuff-after-he's-moved-out purge of the '90s.
Bruce Probst
Melbourne, Australia
"I want to decide who lives and who dies."
My Model Profile
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Bruce,

If you were to succumb to the temptation to add a vacform to your stash for this GB (should it go the vac path), have a look at Falcon Models (http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/kits.html;) just across the ditch...the Attacker and Seahawk are OK models and have enough in the bag for a basic build with plenty of scope for AMS + Airwaves did did detail PE sets for them...the Canberra gives you options for both UK and US cockpit configurations i.e. Canberra B.2 v B-57...all are big enough and chunky enough thet you won't have to overly worry about sanding itty bitty little parts...

Simon
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I should have pointed out that these GB's would be genre-neutral. The last time we did resin, I did an armored car and Bruce/Merlin sci-fi -- there were other non-aircraft IIRC. Vac-form can be other than aircraft -- I've got a MiniArt factory building right now. Paper of course covers evrything.

In short these are technique builds of whatever you want that will help you learn to work in the medium.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Scary stuff John. Good idea for a GB though. Especially if some of the more well versed multi-media folks can help guide us newbies.

I would suggest meeting folks halfway though and making it a mixed media short run kit build. Perhaps to enhance the guiding hand aspect of the build we can all do a single type or even single kit. Classic Airframes Whirlwind or something :-D

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”