Future GB Poll #3 - Modelling Mojo and Blitzbau

Here's where the general chat and organization of Group/Shared Builds takes place, with Guidelines, the GB/SB Calendar, and an Index to completed GBs.

Moderator: PaulBradley

Would you participate in a

Poll ended at June 27th, 2011, 2:58 am

Blitzbau
69%
Modelling Mojo
31%

Total votes: 13

JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Future GB Poll #3 - Modelling Mojo and Blitzbau

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I am trying to set up a long-range GB program, starting in 2012, but that's not to say an idea might start sooner if there is high interest. This is one of several polls/queries I will put up and we'll chat about them to see what comes up. As always, if you respond to a poll, please provide a post to discuss your choice and reasons therefore. Comments that indicate what you would like to get out of the GB are most welcome as that helps me in the next stage of proposals. I want to stress that we are not signing up for a pending build, rather surveying for what might be of interest. The poll will remain for 14 days and you may select as many options as interest you.

The UAMF has usually run one or two Blitzbau's per year (Jan/Feb, Aug). These are 24-hour builds (24-hour straight or split 12-12 with break between aka the 'senior or wuss option'). The GB is left open for a month and participants find an appropriate window to "go for it". The completed GB threads have numerous examples. They are usually quite interesting and fun. Something new last year was the 'Modelling Mojo' GB which was basically a wide-open, have fun, new year, get the juices flowing GB and it drew quite well. At the end of 'MM' there was some discusion of the fate of both.

The poll is here to set things up. What will help most is discussion, and here are some things to consider.

Should we continue Blitzbau's ? If so, one or two a year ? When ?
Should we continue Modelling Mojo ? If so, when ? How long ?
Should we do a Blitzbau inside a Modelling Mojo, or keep it seperate ?
Other thoughts ?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Re: Future GB Poll #3 - Modelling Mojo and Blitzbau

Post by AndrewR »

I would like to run the modelling Mojo throughout January 2012. It will be slightly shorter than last time, and start immediately in the New Year. This was the time of highest activity in the last MM. The basic rules are to build:

Something off beat or
A subject you don't usually build

Generally the kits have 40-ish pieces. It's a relaxed build.

As I stated last time, if anyone want to Blitzbau inside the Mojo GB, they would be welcome to do so - whatever gets your creativity fired up. If you want to see what happened last time, the GB is here. There were over 20 participants last year.

Due to family commitments, I am unable to participate in Blitzbaus, as I will never have a free 24 hours or two 12 hour timeslots. The Mojo is an alternative format for fun builds.

cheers

Andrew
Up in the Great White North
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

Blitz only.
My mojo's fine.

Regards,
Bruce
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by SJPONeill »

I think post-Christmas is a great time for the mojo GB...can't remember why I din't play this year but will be a starter next year...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

both sound like fun............done 48 hour blitz's before, 24 hour sounds interesting...............not entirely sure about mojo tho cos i do build everything (almost) anyway :-D
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Blitz for me. Two slots a year is good, as far as I'm concerned. I've often done two in a year, and two opportunities means I'll certainly do one....

bestest,
M.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

Blitz for me too. Running one inside a Modelling Mojo GB doesn't seem a great idea though; if we're going to run both it's probably best to keep them well separated. Keeping the blitzbaus in their usual slots and having a mojo in the spring might work.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

I am always ready to Blitzbau. 8-)
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Blitz for me, at least two per year. It is something unique to this forum and is great fun. :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

Both could be scheduled simultaneously. Most (not all) of the participants in the Mojo build last time don't do Blitzbaus. I don't see it as an either/or issue.

More participation and building a modelling community are the objectives, and if we have different formats to acheive them, then all is well and good.

Cheers

Andrew
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

AndrewR wrote:Both could be scheduled simultaneously
I have to disagree. The last blitz was way undersubscribed, I'm unconvinced that the mojo thang running at the same time didn't take trade away. That point was raised a few times at the end of the blitz btw.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

flakmonkey wrote:
AndrewR wrote:Both could be scheduled simultaneously
I have to disagree. The last blitz was way undersubscribed, I'm unconvinced that the mojo thang running at the same time didn't take trade away. That point was raised a few times at the end of the blitz btw.
As I said, most of the Mojo participants are not regular Blitzbauers :)

Maybe I should rephrase, both could be scheduled simultaneously, provided that there is sufficient committment to support both.

I'd also be quite happy with scheduling a Blitz for January first, getting the participants lined up for that, and then seeing if there is sufficient support for a Mojo build as well. How does that sound?

Cheers

Andrew
MerlinJones

Post by MerlinJones »

My recollection of the last Mojo Build, was that most participants had not lost their mojo, as evidenced by their builds elsewhere on the Forum. Some even lost their mojo on the Build!

So, besides a 'Mojo' Build being a Blitzbau-lite, I'm unclear as to the real purpoise.

Regards,
Bruce
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

MerlinJones wrote:My recollection of the last Mojo Build, was that most participants had not lost their mojo, as evidenced by their builds elsewhere on the Forum. Some even lost their mojo on the Build!

So, besides a 'Mojo' Build being a Blitzbau-lite, I'm unclear as to the real purpoise.

Regards,
Bruce
The same purpose as any other GB Bruce. To have fun and enjoy the company of your fellow modellers.

I have no problem if you don't want to participate, but please don't denigrate the format. It worked very well, had a lot of participants, and an excellent level of lively interaction between the participants.

As I have said repeatedly, I like observing the Blitz format, and I do try to participate in the encouragement while a build is in progress. However, I am excluded from actively participating in such builds myself. A little reciprocal support from Blitzbauers would be nice. There is room for both in this forum.

Cheers

Andrew
Beowulf Shaeffer
Earning Reputation Points

Post by Beowulf Shaeffer »

forgive if ive got this wrong but surely the purpose of a 'mojo' build is to build something different from what you normally do, not as an activity to regain 'lost mojo' as in lack of interest in building?..........thats the way ive understood it
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell

On the Bench: Beagle
Next on the bench: not sure yet lol

Return to “The Group/Shared Build Chat”