Ace 1/72 75MM Pack Howitzer

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
coptermech
Active Participant

Ace 1/72 75MM Pack Howitzer

Post by coptermech »

Picked up this Ace kit for a few bucks. At this scale it's quite small, only about 1 1/2 inches/ 38 mm long. You can see by the penny in the picture how small it actually is. The one sprue itself is crisply molded and no flash whatsoever. The instruction sheet is quite large and gives a good view of assembly. No decals, as most of these pack howitzers probably didn't have many markings aside from serial numbers, etc..

This kit would be great for a quick blitz, as its so small, and only needs a coat of olive drab and black on the tires.

Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
Marek
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Ace 1/72 75MM Pack Howitzer

Post by Marek »

Ace went a long way since I had their last kit in my hands. That looks quite enjoyable to build.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Airfix now do one of these with their new Jeep.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
jvenables
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by jvenables »

splash wrote:Airfix now do one of these with their new Jeep.
A late addition, as I have not visited this forum for a while.

Whilst I have built neither yet, I have one of these Ace kits and was comparing it with the Airfix howitzer only a week or so ago. In my opinion, the Ace kit is much better, having finer details. The Airfix kit is possibly better moulded, meaning the parts will require less pre-construction clean up but Airfix seem to have taken a few shortcuts, resulting in slightly more 'clunky' parts. For example, Ace have depicted the spoked wheels correctly while Airfix have given only shallow indents for the cutouts between the spokes; same can be said for the perforated stabilising arms.

Cheers, James.

Return to “In-Box reviews”