Valom 1/144 Hanriot HD.1 & Spad XIII

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Arcwelder
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Valom 1/144 Hanriot HD.1 & Spad XIII

Post by Arcwelder »

I've been intrigued by this line of 1/44 WWI aircraft since they started being released a while ago. Now, thanks to the inimitable Gregers, I've got my mitts on a couple of them. Shall we take a peek?

First up is the Hanriot

Each box contains parts to make two kits with decal options for four

And very nice and colourful they are.. choices, choices! The Belgian scheme in particular is very striking.

This boxing contains one sprue of grey plastic, a photoetch fret and a resin cowling and engine (x2, of course).

All struts are PE

Detail etc is pretty rudimentary, but in this scale, it's not that big a deal.

And yes, it is absolutely tiny! The wingspan is 6cm.

On to the Spad..

This time, the resin parts are the exhausts (makes sense, considering the invisible nature of the Spad's engine). Struts etc are again PE.

Moulded rib detail is perfectly acceptable for this scale.

All in all, these look like delightful wee kits that are a combination of the very simple (the injection parts) and the more complex (all that delicate PE!). The choices of interesting and relatively unusual paint/decal schemes should help them to build up into striking models. That said, the thought of rigging in this scale gives me the cold sweats!

Many thanks again to Greg. Hopefully I'll do them justice when they make it to the workbench.
Is this your sanderling?.

2016: A:40 B:12
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Valom 1/144 Hanriot HD.1 & Spad XIII

Post by Gregers »

Hi Arkwelder.

Your welcome, and thank you for the compliment. Enjoy the models.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Clashcityrocker »

You'll be needing an electron microscope to assist in rigging at that scale! :shock:

Nigel
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

1/144?! :shock: I fear for your sanity, Arc. I have a couple of Eduard Hanriots in 1/48, and although it is a superb kit of a sweet little plane, assembling the struts at the angle that they are supposed to sit is a taxi ride on the road to madness (it'll drop you off right outside the door!)
The Belgian scheme is one of Willy Coppens' kites, although he thought the colour scheme was vulgar and "Looks like a toy snake" preferring instead an all blue (with the same 'blue and white sunburst ) HD1 with an 11mm m/g for balloon busting

* Two corrections to the kit details! It was Escadrille Chardon (Thistle Squadron) and the cowling on that a/c was white
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “In-Box reviews”