Merit International 1/350 HMS Ark Royal 1939 #65307

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Merit International 1/350 HMS Ark Royal 1939 #65307

Post by iggie »

Perhaps one of the best known ship names in the Royal Navy, HMS Ark Royal has had five incarnations; this kit represents the third such ship, which was launched in 1937 and sunk in 1941.
The kit is contained in a large and sturdy box, with nice artwork on the top depicting the ship under attack from the air. Inside, you are immediately presented with a view of the impressive size of the kit with both hull halves and the deck being uppermost inside.
Beneath a layer of cardboard you then find all the remaining goodies; several sprues of grey plastic, with sharp and detailed parts abounding. I cannot make any claims with regard to the accuracy of individual parts, or the completed ship as a whole, but it looks darned good to me!.
There are several PE frets too, including rigging :shock: for the 5 Swordfish aircraft included, there are also Fulmars and Skuas included, so the deck will be a busy place!
There is no option for building the ship with one or more of the aircraft lifts lowered; there is no internal detail provided for the hanger decks beneath the flight deck, but the internal hull bracing could easily be used to support scratch-built decks etc. if you wish. There are detailed mouldings included for the hull recess decks however, and these will look excellent with a little weathering.
All in all, I suspect this will be an enjoyable build, and will make up into an impressive model of such a famous ship! Highly recommended :grin:

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Re: Merit International 1/350 HMS Ark Royal 1939 #65307

Post by chrism »

Thanks for taking time to do this Iggie. Interesting the bits they have done in etch, from what you show. The "rigging" is something I had seen concept done with bits for 1:600 planes on some (WEM I think) sets a while back, but they were so fiddly... these may be more easier to work with.

I am tempted but need now to consider size, as I am moving into a smaller space for all future modelling and 1:350 carriers such as Lusty and this might be a squeeze too much in there - but I need to test the space first.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh man, this looks to be a great kit of this famous carrier. I'm currently still slogging my way through my build of the old Airfix 1/600th version. I look at some of the stuff provided in this beauty with considerable envy :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

For such a simple kit the price is not so good, at £110 they can keep it.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
iggie

Post by iggie »

lancfan wrote:For such a simple kit the price is not so good, at £110 they can keep it.

David.
A bit harsh David surely? Admittedly there is little internal detail (but then that is true of the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger 1, and that sells for over £90 when it's available and without PE) and aircraft carriers also tend to be a little sparse up top too (like me :-D ).
The shape is accurate (oops, not like the Tamiya Tiger 1.... :roll: ) as acknowledged by others better qualified than I to judge such things, the PE set is of superb quality and probably the biggest point is that it's the only kit at this scale! :-D
If you look hard enough you can find it for sub £100 as well 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I would pay £50 for one but but not a penny more.

David.
David.

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

It looks a great kit, I wonder why they don't make the a/c in clear plastic as that would remove the problem of what to do about the canopies.

The PE rigging for the stringbag's looks like a sensible design, just fold them into a box and add between the wings, that should resolve any alignment issues.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I'm with David, the price is well OTT :shock:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

Perhaps Airfix may do this ship to 1/350 someday at reasonable cost ?
I can wait.

David.
David.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Whilst not wishing to get into any arguments about kit pricing, £110 is a bit steep for me as well - I try to keep my hobby relatively cheap and have a self-imposed upper limit of £35 for a single kit, any more than that and I tend to feel a bit guilty (more the fool me perhaps :ha: ). I still think it is a good looking kit though.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Personally, I think it's priced about right when compared with some of the new 1/350th offerings from Trumpeter and Hasegawa. Despite it being a little out of my current main area of interest I'm still tempted.

If somebody brought out an Ark Royal IV in 1/350th though........ :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
chrism

Post by chrism »

I guess I am with Daz, this variant is nice, and as much as I could drool over the plastic in the box quite happily with anyone.. I would rather build a later variant in all honesty, plus, the space in which I shall seek sanctuary for modelling now; is at all large, and so I will have to be a lot more sensible/restrained with purchases for larger items from now on, despite having been told to buy more detailed and challenging projects which take longer ... so I churn out less
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “In-Box reviews”