Matchbox V Revell 1/76-1/72 Challenger 1

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Matchbox V Revell 1/76-1/72 Challenger 1

Post by splash »

After two wins on eBay I managed to get my hands on these two kits, I originally thought that Revell had just re-issued the old MB kit but was suprise to see its one of their own moulds.

The MB kit comes in their different colour plastic and can be found in several different varieties of colour plastic, the plastic is their classic soft plastic that you either love or hate and the tracks are the rubber type that no glue on the planet will stick.

The Revell kit comes in a one colour harder plastic with very fine detail and includes extra detail like the external fuel tanks at the rear, the track is made up of long and short straight tracks with individual links to go around the drive and idle wheels.

Looking at the photos of the two kits together the MB kit has stood up well over the years and can't be overlooked if you are after a Challenger, so depending what scale you want you can't go wrong with either.

My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Matchbox V Revell 1/76-1/72 Challenger 1

Post by JamesPerrin »

The Revell is evidently crisper and more refined but the the MB kit stands up surprisingly well
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Nice comparison; and yes, the MB does stand up well......but the new Revell version looks great!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

there is a nice 1/72 accessory and upgrade set for these... I don't think it is specific to either kit but will work with either... Hannants had/have it. I remember having a look at what it consisted of, a while back.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Revell version is clearly superior but of course it is the most modern of the pair and has thus had the benefit of advances in moulding technology. That said, the MB kit looks good for its age and I would still buy and build it. Regarding the tracks, well, I've had issues with both the older "rubber band" types in classic Matchbox AFV kits and also the more modern link and length variety in their Leopard 2 A4 kit. The other issue here is the scale difference between the two kits and, whilst it is not great, it is there nevertheless and will put off some modellers who prefer their collection to be in a unified scale from buying one or t'other. I'm not fussed personally and have a collection of models in various scales and I would happily display these two together.

Thanks for taking the time out for posting this very interesting comparison Alan.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

There are a number of MB kits that for those willing to take on an old kit, offer a good platform for starting from. I got their Bismarck and with a sheet or two of metal and plasticard it can be brought up to meet a Revell or Dragon newer mould offering.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

it looks as though the MB turret is quite a bit longer than the Revell turret (ignoring the extra bit moulded on the back of the MB turret).

Which is more accurate?
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I have now built both kits and I must confess the Matchbox kit scrubs up well and looks like an early Challenger 1 tank when built.

If you are looking for a Challenger 1 then both kits are great kits it all comes down to what scale you like 1/72 for the Revell or 1/76 for the Matchbox version (now re-boxed by Revell)

The Matchbox kit is at the front.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Matchbox 1/76

Revell 1/72

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Always have admired your weathering, especially as I've seen how good it is up close.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
celt

Post by celt »

A very good review of the two tanks,personally I prefer the MB one,as my hands are not up to link and length tracks.
Regards
celt
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

celt wrote:A very good review of the two tanks,personally I prefer the MB one,as my hands are not up to link and length tracks.
Regards
celt
Same here, especially at that scale!
I've got a couple of 1/35 armour jits in the stash that I won't even touch until I can get some replacement tracks for them, because the thought of trying to glue the individual guide horns to the track links feels me with horror!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I found the link and length track easier than I expected, my technique was to lay the six individual links required for the pulley wheel down on the work bench, then just add a very small drop of Tamiya extra thin glue on the parts where the links join, leave it for a minute you can then pick up the six links and bend them around the wheel, the links stay flexible for some time before setting solid.

Return to “In-Box reviews”