Modelcollect 1/72 V1 + launch ramp

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Modelcollect 1/72 V1 + launch ramp

Post by fireblade »

This is the other Modellcollect kit that caught my eye at Telford. The V1 has appeared in several guises in kit form over the years, often as an adjunct to an aircraft kit, more rarely as a kit in its own right. The only other offering that comes close to this one that I can think of is the Mach 2 V-1 Launch Site set, which to quote Hannant's contains the 2 rockets, launching ramp and grey walls. RRP is GBP 62.00. Now I don't know about you, but I don't really relish the thought of handing over 60+ spons for a set of plastic parts of dubious quality. This Modelcollect kit offers two V1s and the launch ramp for a much more affordable GBP 16.50. It can't be too difficult to scratch build some 'grey walls', can it?

The kit is presented in a strong, good quality box, glossy finished and with an attractive box art of a V1 about to launch.

The weight of the box is such that you might think it contains some resin. It doesn't, but it is brim full of parts and contains an awful lot of plastic, the weight deriving from the ramp components that are rather solid lumps of polystyrene.

You two runners that contain all the V1 parts, plus the ramp supports.

Panel lines on the V1 are a little on the heavy side and will benefit from reduction with Mr Surfacer. I haven't put the V1 against any plans, but I'm a little bothered with the nose shape because it looks too rounded. It looks as if it could do with a sharper profile with a compound curve towards the tip, but I'm planning on getting some references together before showing it files or abrasives. Otherwise there's not a lot to go wrong, a plank wing and a double tube for the pulse jet. You also get a booster rig to mount one of the V1s onto the ramp.

The ramp parts come on four identical runners. Shrinkage is apparent and given the thickness of the mouldings almost inevitable. If you really can't ignore it I would recommend paper or thin card inserts cut to size and dropped in place. I have some 160g/m inkjet paper that would do the job.

Instructions are printed on good quality semi-gloss paper and are completely fit for purpose. Colour guides are comprehensive for two schemes, one with the ramp camouflaged, one plain. You couldn't ask for much more, but there is, the generic decal sheet. In this instance it's probably pretty much redundant unless you wanted to dress up the V1s for fun.

I've mentioned the V1 shape issues and shrinkage to the ramp parts, one other puzzling thing is what to do with the second V1? You could really do with a cradle or trailer to pose it waiting to be hoisted onto the ramp. I will be digging out an old Heller Natter/Reichenberg combo that includes a couple of cradles and use them as patterns to scratch build one for the V1. Notwithstanding these points this is a rather nice set for anybody interested in V-weapons/missiles etc. Posed on a suitable diorama base (the box art setting is a starting point) with some figures and vehicles (the Special Armour vehicle kits are rather good) it should be an interesting model to look at. As a fan of German rocketry and assorted 'funnies' I'm hopelessly biased, but for something a little different this ticks all the boxes.
Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Modelcollect 1/72 V1 + launch ramp

Post by jssel »

Thanks Paul. I would shop for this.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Thanks Paul for an excellent review.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I rather fancy this kit myself to recreate the restored ramp at IWM Duxford.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
fireblade

Post by fireblade »

lancfan wrote:I rather fancy this kit myself to recreate the restored ramp at IWM Duxford.
Check out the similarity between the box art and this image (which is the Duxford V1 and ramp). With a little tweaking you shouldn't have any problem replicating the Duxford setup.
Paul Brown
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
Ain't that a shame
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I have seen the real thing Paul and you are quite right.
David.
David.

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Not 100% on this but I had a look at one of these at work and I think you do get two ramps in the kit.
I was going to get one and do both a Germam one and an Amercan JB1 Loon.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
fireblade

Post by fireblade »

Major 'doh' moment. It's so obvious, but I didn't check it out, yes, there should be enough components to build two complete ramps. There's nothing on the box or the instructions that indicates this is the case.
Paul Brown
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
Ain't that a shame
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Two full sets, now that makes it value for money.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

I've got mine on pre-order.

David.
David.

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Just a heads up. We had a large delivery of Modelcollect in at work (Tiger Hobbies) last Wednesday. Most of the orders are on their way or already at the retailers. We also have them in stock at work so any pre-orders should be coming through very soon.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
philp
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by philp »

I grabbed one a while back but think the ramps are a bit short. Haven't measured it out yet but think I might take one of the sections from the second ramp and add it to the first and build an extra support at least based on what I have seen so far.

I also agree the nose looks a bit too rounded. Have to find some plans and match it up.

A trailer/cart for the second one would look good. Not sure my scratchbuilding skills are up to the task but doesn't look too bad. (images from Wiki and Amazon)
fireblade

Post by fireblade »

The Duxford ramp is 36.6m in length, in 72nd scale that works out at 509mm. The individual ramp components are 72mm, so if you use seven pairs you wouldn't be far adrift. I suppose it begs the question were the ramps a common length or were there differences? Not all the ramps were supported on girder structures, some seem to have concrete or block masonry supports.

I've also been giving some thought to building a trailer. The Tamiya 1/48 V1 kit comes with the trailer as illustrated above, it would give you a lot of help in putting one together in 1/72. I'm wondering whether or not the wheels from a spare bomb trolley from an Airfix Stirling might be good to go?
Paul Brown
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
Ain't that a shame

Return to “In-Box reviews”